Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anybody know anything about modern Morgans?
computid

posted on 17/11/17 at 12:22 AM Reply With Quote
Anybody know anything about modern Morgans?

Hi All,

I thought I'd ask the collective, since there's bound to be SOMEBODY here who's owned/worked with/know somebody who's owned a modernish (Zetec onwards) 4 wheeled Morgan.

In my infinite wisdom I'm considering a Morgan Plus 4 for my next daily driver. I'm aware that they aren't the most practical of cars, but I do also have a tin top for use in severely inclement weather! I'm probably looking at the Zetec models, but budget might stretch to a Duratec. I know they've got galvanised chassis with Cuprinol treated Ash body frames and steel or aluminium body panels, and I know that the modern ones use Mazda gearboxes from the MX5, but I'm wondering what gearboxes are used in the older Zetec powered models?

Also, I believe the Plus 4's have an open diff as standard, does anybody know of an LSD unit thats a direct fit?

And before anybody questions my choice of car, I absolutely love the styling of the Morgan. It just oozes British automotive style but also provides a way to enjoy it with modern reliability and relative modern comforts (Air con., easy-up roof etc.). Most of my mileage is done for pleasure, I rarely carry anything large with me or need to take more than 1 passenger, and despite not commuting by car I do around 15k miles a year. I'm looking for a car with a more involved drive with no modern "driver aids" - a box I think the Morgan will check!

I'm yet to drive one, but my local dealer has said that when I'm ready to buy one (March time I think) I'm welcome to go and drive all the various models and variants to decide exactly what I want.

I think what I'm really asking is does anybody have any experience with modern Morgans, and whats your opinion on them?

Thanks!

A

shindha

posted on 17/11/17 at 07:14 AM Reply With Quote
Hi don't have any personal experience but would love to get a 3 wheeler one day. I would have a look at the forms and maybe join and ask on there.

If I was looking at getting something I would test drive sooner rather than later - just in case I didn't like it then you can start looking at alternatives. Morgan Forums

SJ

posted on 17/11/17 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
By coincidence I was following one down the M4 last night. The guy had the hood up and seemed [as far as you can tell by watching from another car] quite comfortable keeping up with motorway traffic on a damp, dark Thursday night.
TimC

posted on 17/11/17 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
Absolute hero. I too am very fond.

theduck

posted on 17/11/17 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
My understanding is that pre MX5 gearboxes they used Ford MT75
Sam_68

posted on 17/11/17 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
As Shindha's reply: I'd drive one for at least a weekend before making up your mind.

I've driven a Plus 8: my father used to be obsessed with the things, thought they were the pinnacle of British engineering, and there was a dealer near my home town that used to rent them out. I wasn't impressed, personally; the suspension was rock hard, and the whole structure very obviously lacked stiffness, with everything rattling and shimmying the whole time. The V8's were quick, in their day, mind you. The detail finish was pretty awful, too - very 'kit car' by modern standards...exposed screwheads with cup washers all over the place, cracked paintwork from the body flex, that sort of thing.

They do look lovely, though - much nicer than the dreadful cartoon/pastiche that is the Aero series cars.

I do like the Three Wheeler, too, but my first impression when I saw one in the metal was of how big and bloated it is compared to the original, 1920s/30s three wheelers. I guess that's a function of it originally having been an American design - they have to accommodate the American arse. The Triking is a better car, I think, if you can live without the badge

tegwin

posted on 17/11/17 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
My father owns a base model 1.6 zetec Morgan and has done for nearly 5 years. In that time he has done a lot of miles. Locally and down to the alps/Norway etc. he loves it. It handles like an old school car on account of the sliding pillar and leaf spring rear suspension but for all intents and purposes it's a modern car underneath.

Provided you keep on top of waxing the chassis and lubricating the sliding pillars you should have no issues. There's a bit of corrosion appearing on cosmetic brackets etc on the body where they really should have valvanized but didn't...easily fixable diy or there's loads of after market companies that sell stainless parts.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

big_wasa

posted on 17/11/17 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theduck
My understanding is that pre MX5 gearboxes they used Ford MT75

I am sure it’s a special Mitchell and Cotts Mt75. It has there own front case with removable bell housing.

http://www.gearboxes.com/powertrain.html

Mr Whippy

posted on 17/11/17 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
I used a JBA falcon sports as a daily driver for over 5 years, very similar to the Morgan (and in some ways a better car). Perfectly possible to use it every day regardless of the weather, wouldn't be all that bothered about a LSD, didn't need it tbh. Their very low, most modern cars can't see you behind them, I almost got reversed into at a filling station, fortunately I had air horns fitted.

The morgan will need good maintenance to keep it fresh. Go for it, I'd love one too and consider them well worth the money.

Post pics when you get it.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Myke 2463

posted on 17/11/17 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
3:30 on Quest how 3 wheeler is made today, repeat.

Be Lucky Mike.

rusty nuts

posted on 17/11/17 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
I used to work on a few older Morgan's hated driving them with the hood up . One thing you must do is to lubricate the sliding pillar front suspension , if it is still used, I think your supposed to do it daily by pressing a button like the old type floor mounted dip switch which allows engine oil and pressure to lube things . A mate who's girlfriend had a plus 8 was once in the passengers seat and pointed out the gap in the door by putting his finger into it just as she hit a bump .

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.