Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: working with someone you can not stand!
steve m

posted on 4/8/18 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
working with someone you can not stand!

Hi all

Small background, I deliver and collect Brand new cars around the country, sometimes alone, but also sometimes with a runner/co driver for various reasons, I am also the branch trainer, also work In the office when required, and genuinely try to get what ever job done with the least hassle going, and EVERY job has hassle !!

Also, we are zero hours contract workers,
we are desperate for drivers, (se England)

I go out with different drivers, each day, 99% of which are decent sensible etc etc and you can have a real laugh and joke with

However there is one Guy, who I feel very uncomfortable with, as hes an arsehole. completely against the mould, and a BIG mistake by the Management giving him the job, not my words!!
his language is appalling, even swearing in front of customers and if you say anything back to him (I havnt yet!) he reports you, for doing so, he has bad mouthed me and mis quoted me, that the manegment are aware of, and do not believe

Question is, how do I make his life a misery, painful, and treat him like he treats, and speaks to others, hopefully with out him kowing im doing it, if not for anything else, but just to make him feel insecure around me

I really don't care what he does, or says, as eventually he will hang himself, but I generally, want to make his life a misery

I know its difficult one, but ive almost come to the point of resigning, as have about 90% of the others, yet I love my job, yet every day have that pit in the stomach I might be with him,

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

joneh

posted on 5/8/18 at 06:58 AM Reply With Quote
Don't lower yourself to his level.

If you're thinking of resigning anyway, make your points to management. Tell them they need to remove him or you'll leave.

SJ

posted on 5/8/18 at 07:20 AM Reply With Quote
I would just encourage him to be more of an arse. Give him enough rope and he might hang himself. With people like that it is very hard to play them at their own game
r1_pete

posted on 5/8/18 at 07:32 AM Reply With Quote
Just stick to work talk, don’t engage in social chat, responses like I’m not interested in what you did last night we’re here to deliver these cars, and I keep my personal life and work seperate so would rather not talk about that..... etc.. Be firm but don’t swear, just cur every social chat off straight away..

Don’t sink to his level he will beat you with experience.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 5/8/18 at 07:36 AM Reply With Quote
All I would do is note down what he does and says that unproffesional/offensive/innappropriate. Keep a diary with dates and the jobs. Make it clear to management how you feel before you start so it's on record and then when other people start complaining it's all on record and above board. Once the disciplinary precedings start {which it sounds like the inevitably will by the sounds of it} you will have a full record of what's occurred. You stay professional so you can't be dragged through the mud as well.

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
ianhurley20

posted on 5/8/18 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
I agree fully with what Doctor Derek Doctors says. It's very difficult to get rid of someone without evidence and even more annoying when people keep going on about things that have not been documented and asking why the cause is still around. Talking as someone who has had to deal with under or inappropriate performers it's great when you have evidence and the person cannot then come back with a case for unfair dismissal. And - stay professional - as others have said

shindha

posted on 5/8/18 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
Itching powder in his underpants..
steve m

posted on 5/8/18 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Guys,

I appreciate you even replying!

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

MikeRJ

posted on 5/8/18 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
Keep a diary with you at all times, and every time he's an areshole don't say anything but get the diary out and make a note with time and date. Don't be discrete about it. If/when he asks what you are doing tell him you are under instruction not to discuss this with him. Paranoia is a powerful thing
rusty nuts

posted on 5/8/18 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
Give him enough rope and he'll hang himself!
nick205

posted on 6/8/18 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
Keep a diary with you at all times, and every time he's an areshole don't say anything but get the diary out and make a note with time and date. Don't be discrete about it. If/when he asks what you are doing tell him you are under instruction not to discuss this with him. Paranoia is a powerful thing

Reading the OP above this was my thought too. Keep a written record of events (even a filmed record if you wish). That way you have evidence to present to any management should you or they get involved in the situation.

As alaso said with many people if you give them enough rope they'll do the damage to themselves. Evidence always seems the key to presenting your case to anyone investigating the matter though.

A final suggestion is to read your employment contract. There should be a means to deal with such matters, often by reporting it to your manager. Again the manager may well ask for some form of evidence which is where a written record kept by you will come in.

Irony

posted on 6/8/18 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
I had a similar thing with a woman who worked at the place I work. She went out of her way to get me the sack. I never found out why she hated me so. She had the responsibility of booking congestion charges when driving in London. I filled in the paperwork for her to book the charge and asked her about it. She confirmed it was done but she didn't do it. When the letter arrived with the fine she threw it away and kept throwing the letters away until we were sent a photo of me driving the van and a £250+ fine. She then took everything to the MD and accused me of negligence. MD twigged immediately and paid the fine and never spoke to me about it. A department head took me aside and warned me to be careful. Eventually her poor behaviour led to her dismissal.

Be the bigger man, if everyone has noticed he's a knob then he won't last. People rarely do in these situations. The only issue is that management need to react and get rid of him before people leave to avoid him.

Just wait it out. If you fight with a pig you both get covered in sh$t. Except the pig is happy.

[Edited on 6/8/18 by Irony]

Agriv8

posted on 6/8/18 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
if all the drivers feel the same

...but ive almost come to the point of resigning, as have about 90% of the other..

open letter from all the drivers to management stating that this guy is making responsible staff think about moving on and that this guy is seriously damaging all the hard work off all the other staff.

But evidence is the key have any 'Valued customers' witnessed this behavior that would be willing to have a quite word with Managers.

I feel your pain BTW been there and got the tee-shirt

Regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

ReMan

posted on 6/8/18 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
If your "Customers" are the type you see regularly, them some feedback from them about how he is representing the company badly might help. Particularly if you have already made management aware of his unproffesionalism. And how it might impact the companys business

With such matters, in my opinion, you need something tangible to deal with, not just not liking someone orr their being an arse.
So the inappropriate/offensive language, may be the one to go with. Particu;larly, if it would kill him to not use it!

This artiical, picked at random give a bit of insight in how your company "might" be dealing with the suituation and yourself, but of course all companies are not equal and the" workplace "varies massivley

https://www.personneltoday.com/hr/offensive-language-in-the-workplace/

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

ttalps2000

posted on 6/8/18 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
They will probably give him a promotion, or is that just my experience of these type of people in a previous company?!
Mr Whippy

posted on 6/8/18 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
been there, left in the end total bi$ch she was too and only seemed to have it in for me cos I had the same name as her husband and didn't like that... I stole loads of data and confidential stuff when I left

I'm lucky now if I don't like certain people I can just move to another office building

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Angel Acevedo

posted on 6/8/18 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
Buy a cheap voice recorder and record ALL your conversations with him...
Sooner than later you´ll have enough material to prove your point.
Watch what you say as if you sound patronizing it may look bad on you too...
HTH

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

mark chandler

posted on 6/8/18 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
Just smile, put it to one side and wait, that's all you can do really do not get involved.

If you have to talk to him then look At his ear or at something behind him when speaking, it will spook him out and maybe he will start leaving you alone

steve m

posted on 6/8/18 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
Some great responses, and all seem reasonable, strange thing is that since the last altercation between him and another driver
over a road rage incident, that was nothing to do with "our" driver,

we havnt seen "HIM" !!

But, having talked to the Boss, and fellow drivers, we all seemed to think hes playing a game to get sacked unfairly and clam compensation, this really does seem to add up, see below

Small addition to the idiots background, and this is not a slur against anyone on here or relatives etc, but this idiot has only ever been a van driver, doing multi drops, hes done it for pretty well all of his working life, since passing his test, along with LOOONG spells of drawing the dole, and I mean YEARS on the dole,
were I live and work in the South has an incredibly low unemployed figure, (sorry again to others in the country who are not so fortunate) but its a fact down here, that unemployed means unemployable, and this alone tells a big story !!

He has no social skills except swearing, his hygene is appalling, and dress sense that is ...............
despite us having uniform !

Manager, today has resigned, and partially due to this idiot, as hes taken the company to tribunal, I do not know what over yet, and head office are only interested in getting cars delivered, and not how, or who does so,
so we will see over the next few days, but ive sent a couple of emails off to a couple of contacts in the car moving business, so hopefuly a new venture could start soon

steve

Mr Whippy

posted on 7/8/18 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
sounds an utterly crap place to work

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.