Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: electric caterham
smart51

posted on 25/7/23 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
electric caterham

I've just seen this about two electric Caterhams and I'm impressed. Almost all is about a car that could (perhaps unkindly) be described as a 2020s Caterham 21. Then there's an electric 7 for a minute at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggjoFyA_V68

Mr Whippy

posted on 26/7/23 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
First one Looks like a rather boring generic Dino copy. Seems decent apart from the back seats that even a midget of a Munchkin could not fit in. That seems pointless waste of time and extra weight, especially after all the BS about not including a frunk. I see no one attempted to actually get in the back lol, I can't stand cars with token rear seats with zero leg or head room unless the driver is a 10 year old.

The 7 seems a much better worked out car, don’t know how they managed to keep the weight to 700kg yet have a 52kw/h battery! Only thing I can think of is tunnel is a carbon battery case as it clearly was still a spaceframe car. Sadly he didn’t go into much detail and it was the more interesting of the two...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 26/7/23 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
I think 7s are really suited to the idea of an electric powertrain. Having just an electric transaxle at the back must save a huge amount of weight, and you don't really need an enormous battery given the low mileage we'd often do. Instant torque and no gear change must make driving nicer? Plus, for a proper manufacturer, you'd be able to have smart electrics to save your ass if you got carried away.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

myke pocock

posted on 26/7/23 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
Not for me. A 7 is a 7 and has an ICE. Sorry Ime old school primarily and furthermore think that we are putting all our eggs in one basket with electric anyway.
JAG

posted on 27/7/23 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
A Se7en has to be lightweight, simple and raw. Direct controls with no Slip Control, ABS, Power Steering etc...

I'm conflicted about the powertrain but for me I prefer ICE and a gearbox. But I have to say I've never driven an electric Se7en so I can't be certain

BUT 700kg is too heavy for a Se7en.

I agree about range, I'd only want 100 or 150 mile range in a Se7en.

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

Mr Whippy

posted on 27/7/23 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JAG
A Se7en has to be lightweight, simple and raw. Direct controls with no Slip Control, ABS, Power Steering etc...

I'm conflicted about the powertrain but for me I prefer ICE and a gearbox. But I have to say I've never driven an electric Se7en so I can't be certain

BUT 700kg is too heavy for a Se7en.

I agree about range, I'd only want 100 or 150 mile range in a Se7en.

I don't think you'd notice the weight tbh as he said it's just the extra weight of a passenger... I'd be more worried about the amount of torque, EV's are wheel spin monsters at the best of times (terrible for wearing out tyres too), I think the backend would be very prone to breaking free and a LSD would definitely be required. At least they haven't went way stupid with the power but I bet no ICE car could ever hope to keep up with it, especially on country roads. Personally I think four hub motor drives would have been better to give you as much grip as possible plus more room for batteries. In the future I think all EV's will use hub motors.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 27/7/23 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by myke pocock
Not for me. A 7 is a 7 and has an ICE. Sorry Ime old school primarily and furthermore think that we are putting all our eggs in one basket with electric anyway.

Our existing basket is on fire.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.