Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: parking sensor & towbar
mkblade

posted on 30/8/08 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
parking sensor & towbar

im going to fit a towbar to my mk3 mondeo est next week but i was also thinking of fitting parking sensors .

question is has anyone fitted the sensors with a towbar fitted any problems like the sensors picking up the towbar ect

thanks simon

Miks15

posted on 30/8/08 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
It normally 4 small round sensors spread along the width of the car. So there wont be one directly behind the towbar. i would have thought that the sensors range will fan out and should miss the towbar. Surely the manufacturer of the sensors should be able to let you know whether or not its compatible with a towbar?

rusty nuts

posted on 30/8/08 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
Would have thought there would be some way of turning the sensor/warning off when you have the caravan?trailer behind the car as well? But then maybe a warning of caravans would be a good idea
DavidM

posted on 30/8/08 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
If you've got a towbar, won't that double up as a parking sensor?

David

Proportion is Everything

zilspeed

posted on 30/8/08 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DavidM
If you've got a towbar, won't that double up as a parking sensor?

David

Is the correct answer

Werner Van Loock

posted on 30/8/08 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
I got a MK4 with parking sensors and towbar, have no problem with the sensors picking up the towbar. Sensors were fitted standard, towbar afterwards. And i have abuton on the dash to immobilize the sensors if towing something.

http://www.clubstylus.be

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
l0rd

posted on 30/8/08 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
Depends on where you will position the sensors. If you position the sensors just behind the towbar then yes, it will pick it up. If you position it higher that the tow bar, i don't think it will be a problem
rusty nuts

posted on 30/8/08 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by l0rd
Depends on where you will position the sensors. If you position the sensors just behind the towbar then yes, it will pick it up. If you position it higher that the tow bar, i don't think it will be a problem

Think you mean in front of the tow bar???

Rob Palin

posted on 30/8/08 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
I've got both on a 3 series BMW and the sensors trigger if i try and reverse with the trailer hitched-up. There's no off switch on mine and it's very annoying - i find reversing a trailer tricky enough without the proximity alarm screaming at maximum volume because it thinks you're backing into something!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.