Board logo

I think I've found my next project
bodger - 28/2/10 at 08:53 AM

Linky

Ben_Copeland - 28/2/10 at 08:57 AM

Pretty cool, bit geeky tho

Are there any instructions, writes up on it?

Found it, forum full

[Edited on 28/2/10 by Ben_Copeland]

t16turbotone - 28/2/10 at 08:57 AM

Thats Mint!! i want one

YQUSTA - 28/2/10 at 08:58 AM

I like the idea.

If I were to make it I wouldn't have as much travel as to me it looks like he is driving a racing car sat in a boat/plane sim chair :-)

speedyxjs - 28/2/10 at 09:08 AM

Cool!

Hammerhead - 28/2/10 at 09:17 AM

great until it goes wrong and smacks his head into the window sill.

adithorp - 28/2/10 at 09:41 AM

You'd think that after all that work he'd have a a bigger screen wired in to it.

I suspect the movements have to be exagerated to give the right feel; The seat leaning isn't just to mimick the car rolling but also to give a "feel" of cornering and the sideways force.

adrian

Ninehigh - 28/2/10 at 09:44 AM

I was about to say "Oh someone's made a chair with speakers behind it" but that is way cool! You could sell them I'm sure

balidey - 28/2/10 at 09:49 AM

i want one.
Just needs a bigger screen..... and a helmet

gingerprince - 28/2/10 at 09:55 AM

quote:
Originally posted by balidey
i want one.
Just needs ...a helmet

...with built-in screen in the visor

t.j. - 28/2/10 at 10:47 AM

I would like to have one, but the steering-wheel should also move in line with the seat.

Ninehigh - 28/2/10 at 10:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by t.j.
I would like to have one, but the steering-wheel should also move in line with the seat.

That would just be a case of fixing the wheel to the seat frame

iscmatt - 28/2/10 at 11:07 AM

haha cool, be good for sim games

gottabedone - 28/2/10 at 11:11 AM

I've used a few flight and games sims and they are wicked fun - forget the geekiness because if you are into flying or driving games they really add a new dimension. A few years ago I played on a propper mult screen flight sim and got tutted off it by the geeks for flying their f15 under London Bridge

alistairolsen - 28/2/10 at 12:36 PM

only problem is its impossible to replicate the forces of acceleration and deceleration and the chane in them related to wheelspin and brake locking, and its acceleration I enjoy!

ruudbeckers - 28/2/10 at 01:02 PM

Most of these simulators are made with electric winscreen wiper motors, which is much easier to make than the pneumatic chair in the video.

There is a complete website about making these chairs including a very interesting forum:

Linky

But if you want a really nice simulator, you should build this simulator:

Simulator

bodger - 28/2/10 at 09:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ruudbeckers
Most of these simulators are made with electric winscreen wiper motors, which is much easier to make than the pneumatic chair in the video.

They're not pneumatic, they're electric units but not locost ($350-$475) but I've seen a guy make one just as good for £150.

Anyway, better finish off the car in the garage first.