Board logo

Need Help Deciding Please
Daddylonglegs - 19/9/11 at 09:26 PM

Right, I know I've still got to get the Locost through it's IVA and on the road, but it's nearly there, but......

.....I have the possible chance of buying a restoration project, a car I, and my wife have wanted to own since we can't remember when, a Triupmh Stag. The car in question I have only had a quick glance at, but it looks in relatively sound condition for an early 70's car that has spent a long time sitting out in the British weather.

I am under no illusions, I know it will be a LARGE project but I really would love to get it on the road. It is fitted with (we think) the 2.5litre straight-six as was fitted to the Vitesse.

It seems to be the in thing to have more than one project on the go, so I didn't want to be left out Ultimately I would like to fit the rover 3.5 V8 but let's get the car first

What's your thoughts guys, and what price range do you think would be fair for a car that needs a fair amount of body resotration (a bit like me really ) and probably another decent chunk of mechanical TLC?

I know it's a vague description but just a ball park figure would be a start.

Cheers.

JB

RichardK - 19/9/11 at 09:39 PM

Have you any where it could be securely parked until ready? Maybe an option to buy now and forget it for a while. You know your 7 will be worth more iva'd so has to be done really imo

Decisions, decisions!

Cheers

Rich

designer - 19/9/11 at 09:41 PM

With the current prices, I would buy a restored Stag before I considered doing it myself. Definately a cheaper option.

plentywahalla - 19/9/11 at 09:58 PM

I would avoid a stag with anything other than the original V8. It will never be a good investment.

The Rover V8 requires a lot of re working of the suspension as the weight is all wrong for the stock set up. Also the diff ratios are all wrong as it delivers max revs about 1000 rpm less than the Triumph V8.

I restored a Stag and the original engine is a lovely powerful engine and the best match for the car, provided you use the correct mix of anti freeze and fit the later cooling system and Water pump.

Incidentally the Vitesse used the 2 litre 6 with twin Stroms. Not enough power or torque for a fairly heavy car.

mark chandler - 20/9/11 at 06:41 AM

I always fancied a stag, but the horrible rust problems associated with them put me off. You do need to keep the original engine if it is to retain a decent value.

As above, invest more money in the car and buy one that has been looked after and restored to a good standard.

Sunbeam alpines look like a good investment BTW, some good ones on Ebay recently.

britishtrident - 20/9/11 at 06:53 AM

The Triumph 2.5 engine on carbs is a nice smooth engine but prone to bottom end if subject to high RPM.

The Stag V8 engine problems all stem from the design of the block to head interface the cylinder head bolts are not perpendicular to the block face, Triumph just about got away with this in the 4 cylinder Dolomite but in the Stag with its poorer water circulation it was pushed over the edge. Add the other well known problems of this engine and you have a very expensive money pit.

The Rover V8 and Ford V6 (Essex or Cologne) are other options, I have driven an Essex v6 conversion and would agree the Rover and the awful Essex engine would tend to make the gearing feel too short, the Cologne 2.8 or 2.9 should be better. A Cosworth V6 would be perfect.

Bluemoon - 20/9/11 at 09:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
The Stag V8 engine problems all stem from the design of the block to head interface the cylinder head bolts are not perpendicular to the block face, Triumph just about got away with this in the 4 cylinder Dolomite but in the Stag with its poorer water circulation it was pushed over the edge. Add the other well known problems of this engine and you have a very expensive money pit.

Not sure I agree with this, parents have had one for the last 10 years, been fine and they do put a lot of miles, you just need to keep on top of servicing.. Have a search for Tony harts racing stag it's a bit more robust than you might think.. Ones with the original engine are worth more. It has been one of the cheapest cars they have run; but they were very careful to find a good one, and it has need some welding done in that time buy a very good body work guy that knows the stag inside and out.

But it will be a money pit unless you get a good one. I would not think about a restoration job unless you like the idea, it's going to cost more than getting one already restored..

Join the club if interested probably the best way to find a known car and find out more about them.

Dan