Board logo

No oil in engine - how long till it dies?
Banana - 20/5/17 at 08:43 PM

I was reading an old copy of Practical Classics the other day, and there was an article from a contributor that drove his Saab 9 3 across to Germany.
Basically the engine died at 130mph on the Autobahn, apparently caused by the fact they'd forgot to fill the engine with oil..

How long would a car/bike go without oil? I can't believe it'd get as far as Germany.. 10mins down the road is my guess.

Benzine - 20/5/17 at 08:47 PM

When my sump hit a rock and I lost all oil, my engine seized within a mile.

ettore bugatti - 20/5/17 at 09:10 PM

https://youtu.be/CfipRXooCTM

17 minutes...

ian locostzx9rc2 - 21/5/17 at 06:21 AM

Amazing what gets published in magazines about 20 mins max

coyoteboy - 21/5/17 at 09:56 AM

Forgot to refill a car once and drove it for a good 5 miles, on boost, before remembering and stopping to get oil. No real notable effects from it and it lasted another 40k before it died for other reasons but on stripping you could see wear on the cams and big ends.

hughpinder - 22/5/17 at 09:14 AM

I cracked the sump on a montego when I was up on the N. Yorks moors, on a Sunday in the days when no one was open Sundays and mobile phones only existed in movies. Managed to drive back to Luton, put a new sump on and did another 60K in that car. I had used Slik 50 in that car if that makes any difference, and I did drive slow and stop every 20 miles to let everything cool down