Board logo

Ford 2.5 V6
scotty g - 16/5/05 at 12:12 PM

Hi all, has any one heard of the 2.5 V6 being used in a rear wheel drive application. Its much more compact than the old Essex and Cologne V6's and would be a lovely motor with tons of torque. Any thoughts?? Scotty G.

liam.mccaffrey - 16/5/05 at 12:25 PM

yes our master chrisW i think is building a viento with 2.9 cologne.

I have a granada which has this engine do you wanna buy it?

James - 16/5/05 at 12:28 PM

Scotty,

You mean the newer Zetec based (?) one don't you?

Cheers,
James

ned - 16/5/05 at 12:29 PM

liam, think he means the duratec 2.5 v6, not the cologne..

Ned.

doh beat me to it james!

[Edited on 16/5/05 by ned]

liam.mccaffrey - 16/5/05 at 12:32 PM

i have just re read the post, what a tit am, that'll be the hangover

guess you don't want to buy my granada

turbolag - 16/5/05 at 01:23 PM

In standard form it's 164 brake, which is slighly less than the much lighter top flight 4 pot Duratecs. Go for the 200/220 versions from the STs or else try the lighter and more plentiful Poxhall V6. A 3.2 V6 from an old Omega would be quite pleasing in a kit.

scotty g - 16/5/05 at 02:59 PM

Yes i was talking about the duratec version. I can't recall this engine being used in a rear wheel drive car, do you think it would mate with either the type 9 or MT75 boxes? It might not be as pokey as a top flight four pot but it'll sound great and as said, will have tons of torque. Would love to put it in a Viento chassis and design my own body, sort of a cross between a Stylus and a TVR might be good.

Mr G - 16/5/05 at 03:57 PM

See this thread HERE

Might of been powertorque.co.uk

See pistonheads HERE

i'm still looking for the mag - the boys over at the interford forums wil probably have a better memory than me

Cheers

G

[Edited on 16/5/05 by Mr G]

marksimon - 16/5/05 at 07:34 PM

G, Scotty,

I've just taken a look at the link to pistonheads and their link to power torque engineering. The engine shown in the photo captioned "Want to use a Duratec V6 inline? Power Torque can help" looks like a Jaguar X-Type V6 mated to the Getrag 221 gearbox as used in the Jaguar S-Type.

The Getrag 221 is quite a light 'box; weighs approx. 33kg. I myself wish to know if there are any other gearboxes (specifically type 9 or MT75) that mate to the Jag engine as the ratios of he 221 are not suited to a sports car in my opinion and the Getrag 221 box is expensive new and uncommon secondand. A plus point is that it is rated to 221 lb ft of torque in a car such as the Jag S-Type.

I'll keep asking around for advice. If I get an opportunity over the next few days I will speak to Power Torque and ask their judgement about gearboxes fo the Jag V6 / Duratec V6.

Take care.

Mark

scotty g - 16/5/05 at 07:52 PM

Hi Mark, i looked at the site as well, i have e-mailed them to find out if the MT75 or type9 boxes can be used, when i hear from them i will let you know.

locost_bryan - 17/5/05 at 03:48 AM

Is the Duratec V6 related to the Mazda KL V6 (Ford Probe, Mazda MX6, MX3)?

Or was this a "real" ford Duratec, rather than a Ford-badged Mazda (like the Duratec 4)?

If it is the Mazda V6 in disguise, then it has been used in the Fraser Clubman with a Ford/Quaife gearbox.

tractorboy - 23/5/05 at 06:43 PM

ive got a 2.5 v6 duratec in my ford cougar . it goes like hot snot and sounds good too. just can't persuade the misses too let me have it for the avon!
scott

Rob Allison - 5/6/05 at 02:44 AM

Duratec in an XR4i

Adapter plate From T5 tranny

jollygreengiant - 5/6/05 at 08:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by locost_bryan
Is the Duratec V6 related to the Mazda KL V6 (Ford Probe, Mazda MX6, MX3)?

Or was this a "real" ford Duratec, rather than a Ford-badged Mazda (like the Duratec 4)?

If it is the Mazda V6 in disguise, then it has been used in the Fraser Clubman with a Ford/Quaife gearbox.

I believe the answer to this is yes there is a family connection to the mazda lump.

Enjoy