Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: The Clio has been limping along till today Its passed away
mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 30/1/10 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
The Clio has been limping along till today Its passed away

The 150 quid clio we got 2 years ago has died.

It didnt like the big freeze as shortly after its vital fluids began to leak from the sump. Then today it expired in a cloud of steam....... the radiator split and Lizzy had to keep going to get off the dual carriageway ( no hard shoulder).
To sum it up the car got very hot and took the head gasket out.....

So she has RAC cover with one of her bank accounts.

Rac turn up and say cant be fixed but can be towed...... Ok no biggie then I get a call saying they will only tow 10 miles....
Shes in Edinburgh on route to Karate

So she gets dropped off halfway home in Dunfermline with my daughter and her pal.

So RAC are prepared to leave three ladies at the side of the road cause they will only tow 10 miles..
She said he wanted to leave them in Rosyth but she asked if he could stretch to Dunfermline as there was a warm pub to wait in.

Any way my good side kick Macspeedy went and fetched the girls and Kriss and I went and got the Clio. Filled it full of oil and water and ragged it home on the b roads......died at the front gate. So we will weigh it in Monday 110 quid..

We are trying to buy a golf gti for sweety money.....to keep the bangernomic movement alive.
Hell 2 years motoring for 60 quid isnt that bad....a depreciation rate.

Next banger please

Lizzy does not want expensive cars as her record with idiots driving into her is second to none..... she also picks on carpark posts and trolley bays.

If its a cheapy she thinks I cant get to cross with her if she gets it wrong.....

The my beloved SMARTIE got Smacked 3 times...at merc prices for parts it wasnt a good situation for insurance purposes.

Should go and get that miniciti corsa and get a mot stuck on it. To late

Lets all repeat together the Bangernomics Code

Bangernomics contrasts the absurd expense of buying new, with the supreme good sense of buying used.

Bangernomics will show the mechanically bewildered how to buy a safe, durable car and most important of all save money.

Bangernomics is all about motoring at the blunt end.

Bangernomics means never having to be fussy about what you drive.

Bangernomics defines no-nonsense motoring in the new millennium.

Bangernomics is a way of life, but remember, beware of the dog.

Just found the ol rust 2 rome 106 at the bottom of the garden.....needs brake calipers up front.

[Edited on 30-1-10 by mangogrooveworkshop]

[Edited on 31-1-10 by mangogrooveworkshop]

zilspeed

posted on 30/1/10 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
It's a Red 5 door Golf GTI 8V you need..... Rescued attachment small IMG_4393.jpg
Rescued attachment small IMG_4393.jpg

l0rd

posted on 30/1/10 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
Time for another Clio.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MK1-RENAULT-CLIO-1-2-ENGINE_W0QQitemZ230427036978QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item35a6858d32

or an engine for this

[Edited on 30/1/10 by l0rd]

dhutch

posted on 30/1/10 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zilspeed
It's a Red 5 door Golf GTI 8V you need.....

For £150.....? I will!

zilspeed

posted on 30/1/10 at 11:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dhutch
quote:

For £150.....? I will!

Multply that by around, say 4x or thereabouts

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 30/1/10 at 11:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by dhutch
quote:

For £150.....? I will!

Multply that by around, say 4x or thereabouts

600 well above my budget by 300 squid

Im getting golf as Kriss my macspanner buddy is golf daft and we have a load of golf spares

As for clio thats it dead

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 30/1/10 at 11:28 PM Reply With Quote
90 for engine
65 for sup as clios sumps are made of wafer biscuits
65 for radiator
34 for the rear shock and
25 bucks for oil..... add some petrol money to pick the engine up.....and the maths is simple.
get the gti with a starting problem and drop the spare 2 liter engine into it (Just happen to have one foc)

Also will need shoes for the rear ....

Time to start again besides never got over the rain inside the car from the crappy leaky sunroof

NigeEss

posted on 30/1/10 at 11:37 PM Reply With Quote
I love Bangernomics.

Bought a Mk1 MR2 for £400 as a track day toy. Have thrashed the pods off it on
four events with nowt but a set of front discs and pads. It's dragged out of the yard, jump
started, thrashed and parked up again. So far it appears to be invincible

I also have a 1995 Discovery 300Tdi Auto that I also paid 400 squid for 2 years ago
and have done 30k in and spent about £50 on it

[Edited on 30/1/10 by NigeEss]

gazza285

posted on 31/1/10 at 12:05 AM Reply With Quote
Volvo bangers myself, and Citroen/Pug vans. I push the boat out a bit and spend a grand, done 104,000 in the Berlingo, cost me a rad and an alternator, plus normal services, had 108,000 when I bought it. Volvo S80 was £1400 and had nothing other than cheap services for the 20,000 I've had it. Bloke at work spent £18,000 on a Rangie, sold it after 6 months for 12,000. Called him an idiot.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
skodaman

posted on 31/1/10 at 12:12 AM Reply With Quote
Yeh bangernomics is the way to go my last four cars have cost the following
Rover 800 fastback = free
Mk1 Mondeo estate = 260 quid
Mk1 Mondeo estate = free
Volvo 245 = free
Saves a fortune in petrol as well because I daren't go very far in them. The only downside is I don't get much time to spend on Locost build cos too busy repairing the tintop sheds.

Skodaman

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 31/1/10 at 02:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skodaman
Yeh bangernomics is the way to go my last four cars have cost the following
Rover 800 fastback = free
Mk1 Mondeo estate = 260 quid
Mk1 Mondeo estate = free
Volvo 245 = free
Saves a fortune in petrol as well because I daren't go very far in them. The only downside is I don't get much time to spend on Locost build cos too busy repairing the tintop sheds.

Not go to far in them.......why just dont tell them and they will never know....

We get great delight in making them go anywhere.
Just drive them with a bit of TLC and they will go all day.
When you cruise let the car find the sweetspot when all the rattles and buzzing all gets together in one harmonic.
We use good oil and stick the right gloop in the rad.
Tyres that are porous have always given us a hard time but the fix is tyre weld or similar.
get some belts and make sure it runs right.

anything you see that could be a little shakey make a note of and find a spare.

This clio hasnt had any attention from the driver and just a few bits done to get it through the mot. cant ask more than that of a car.

A buddy spent 55k on a phaeton just a we while ago....the same model is 10 k now.
A merc man got a 35 k merc now its worth 2.5k

Peteff

posted on 31/1/10 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
A friend of mine is looking at a 3.0 Mk1 Capri this weekend for the bargain price of £15k Till I started buying write offs and putting them back on the road I never paid above £250 for a car but eventually you get fed up of fixing them all the time and give in. Another mate of mine used to do TV aerials and I helped him out at weekends and maintained his two Avenger estates with him and we got one of them 3 times round the clock which was good for a motor in those days.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

MakeEverything

posted on 31/1/10 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NigeEss
I love Bangernomics.

Bought a Mk1 MR2 for £400 as a track day toy. Have thrashed the pods off it on
four events with nowt but a set of front discs and pads. It's dragged out of the yard, jump
started, thrashed and parked up again. So far it appears to be invincible

I also have a 1995 Discovery 300Tdi Auto that I also paid 400 squid for 2 years ago
and have done 30k in and spent about £50 on it

[Edited on 30/1/10 by NigeEss]

Me too.
I bought an XR3i for £50 once, and i ran it for a year before the exhaust fell off, and it started to misfire. It died on me on the A1(M) one night when it was dark. When my old man recovered me, he turned up to an XR3i with every panel with a size 9 footprint and bloody great dents!!

I gave it to someone after that. I think they got it back on the road, but i had it for a year and it cost me £50, £150 insurance, and tax.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 31/1/10 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
Had a free mondeo that lasted for five years.....
and that was after my father in law was told that it was not going to last much longer.....got it cause it was misfiring.....dealer couldnt sort it ....had it for weeks...we changed the oil and it stopped missing changed the thermostat and the heater worked
liz went on to crunch it four times , number four wrote it off....still had years of life in it.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.