Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 3.0l supra ain't playing
StrikerChris

posted on 23/3/10 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
3.0l supra ain't playing

bit of a long shot on here but i'm out of idea's.basically a friend has an old school supra non turbo,and has swapped the engine.i've spent most the afternoon p*ssing in the wind trying to get it going.it has fuel pressure to the injector rail,and a spark(a bloody good one right up my arm!) but it wont fire fart backfire or pink.the less than scientific destructions we've found on the web refer to a mark on the dizzy's drive cog to get the timing,but there isn't a mark on it!i've tried top dead center on 1 cylinder compression ,trying to line up rotor arm to spark but still nothing.i'm stumped,give me my imp points coil and carbs anyday!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
robocog

posted on 23/3/10 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
If there's definitely a fat spark outside and the plugs have not been wetted with fuel...

worth trying some easy start type stuff to check its still sparking when under compression
If the plugs have been wet chuck em and put some new ones in !

Have you done a compression check yet?

it should only need a couple of ingredients to at least do something

fuel, spark and compression...so could be one of them is not there in the quantity required

With EFI its always worth checking that the fuel is also being pumped at pressure when its in crank...not just run position of the key :-)
(quick blast of easy start will hopefully help determine if its just fuel related)

Regards
Rob

jollygreengiant

posted on 23/3/10 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
I once spent days trying to fiond out why an EFI system (sierra) wouldn't fire.
Fuel pump worked, spark ok, timiing ok, would run if squirted with easy start/brake cleaner but NOT by its self. Turned out to be A bad connection on the injection loom.

See if you can get some node lights and connect them to the injector plugs to check if the injectors are actually firing.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

02GF74

posted on 24/3/10 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by StrikerChris
.it has fuel pressure to the injector rail,

... ah, but are the injectors firing petrol into the enigne?

take the plugs out, whizz the engine over and hold a lit match to the spark plug holes and stand back - or else sniff petrol.

you could take injector(s) out and see if it squirts - be careful as they can squirt fuel through your skin plus they can be impossible difficult to remove.

you can verify timing quite easily by pouring a few spoonfuls of petrol onto the air filter - the engine should attempt to fire and make an attempt to run, albeit quite poorly.

[Edited on 24/3/10 by 02GF74]

StrikerChris

posted on 24/3/10 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for the suggestions,I'll have another fiddle this weekend,its just one of those pain in the backside engines you cant reach anything on!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 24/3/10 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
Possibly (probably!) a dumb suggestion - but did the HT leads get put on the correct spark plugs after installing the new engine?

It's what I did after rebuilding my x-flow - 2 & 3 crossed over, so it would pop and backfire but wouldn't start. Eventually worked it out and it started next go!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.