Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: speed cameras
blakep82

posted on 24/3/10 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
speed cameras

i thought it was illegal to put up speed camera signs if there weren't any speed cameras about?

driving up the M6 yesterday from cumbria, and they're doing loads of works on the hard shoulder every few miles, and all of them said speed cameras, but only 1 had any. pretty sure they're not allowed to do that though... one of them was even an average speed camera sign

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

cd.thomson

posted on 24/3/10 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
i was told as long as there are plans to put them up then the signs can be there.

A few years ago my area was covered in "false" signs as a traffic calming measure. Actual cameras have only been fitted recently!

Craig

vinny1275

posted on 24/3/10 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
nah, not illegal. I do remember something about where the money from the fines went to depending on if the cameras are signed or not...

There are loads of signs round here, as they put vans on the motorway bridges. Signs tend to have the desired effect in a lot of places, and they're a lot cheaper!!

r1_pete

posted on 24/3/10 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
I thought it was the other way round, they were not allowed to use cameras without warning, there are warning signs up and down my works road, but only occasionally is there a cash machine parked up, in all its striped glory...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 24/3/10 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
but i guess they could put signs anywhere and say might put them there in 10 years lol.

hmm, i did notice on about half of the places, they were sites of mobile cameras (police on bridges) so thats maybe how they get away with that one

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

speedyxjs

posted on 24/3/10 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
We have a few signs up where there are no cameras. Been like it for a few years.

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

plentywahalla

posted on 24/3/10 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
I have always assumed that these signs were there for when the camera vans decided to use that spot. I know its the law that speed cameras must have signs within a certain distance ahead of them to be legal

Slight deviation I know but ... some ijut mounted the signs near us upsidedown! does that mean they are illegal and I can go as fast as I like? ... probably not

blakep82

posted on 24/3/10 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
hmm, apparently not...
http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/speedmanagement/safetycamerasfrequentlyasked4603?page=1

they don't have to put signs up, if they do, they don't have to be visible. seems a bit of an easy get out...

i don't think i got caught or anything, though i was doing about 85-90 most of the way back... not through the road works right enough, not that any work was being done anyway...

adithorp

posted on 24/3/10 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
The thing is, there's a speed limit and if you break it you stand a chance of getting caught. There's signs to tell you what the limit is. Why would you need anymore warning? Do you want warnings that there might be a Policeman sat on the side of the road aswell?

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

blakep82

posted on 24/3/10 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
oh yeah i know, but i thought they weren't allowed to put speed camera signs up if there weren't actually any cameras. yes i may well be breaking the speed limit, but i thought they were breaking the law too

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 25/3/10 at 06:52 AM Reply With Quote
BBC NEWS
Thousands caught by speed camera

Road safety bosses say they are stunned after a speed camera caught out more than 5,500 motorists in five weeks.

The camera, on the M6 near Carlisle, was installed to protect workers carrying out repairs and is expected to net £168,000 from fines issued so far.

A Cumbria Safety Cameras spokesman said he could not understand why so many drivers are ignoring the 50mph limit, which is clearly signposted.

Pressure group Safe Speed called the figures "disgusting".

The camera was installed between junctions 43 and 44 of the M6 on 29 January and will stay while bridge repairs are carried out.
“ In seven years... never have I seen a camera generate so many tickets ”
Kevin Tea, Cumbria Safety Cameras

It is operated by Cumbria Safety Cameras on behalf of Cumbria Police, part of the Cumbria Road Safety Partnership.

Kevin Tea, manager of Cumbria Safety Cameras, said: "In seven years working on the safety partnership in Cumbria never have I seen a camera generate so many tickets.

"I can't offer an explanation for it. I can't understand why people haven't seen the signs and cameras and are continuing to speed."

In total, 5,569 motorists were caught, but only those who drove faster than 60mph - about 2,800 people - will be prosecuted because of limited resources.

They will each receive £60 fines, raising about £168,000 which will be passed to the Treasury, according to Mr Tea.

A Highways Agency spokesman said: "There's a 50mph speed limit, cones, barriers and signs in place on this stretch of the M6 for a very good reason - to ensure the ongoing safety of drivers and road workers while the work is underway.

"We are concerned about the number of drivers who appear to be ignoring the speed limit, putting themselves and our workforce in danger.

"Driving through half a mile of roadworks at 70mph takes just ten seconds fewer than driving at 50mph - a ten-second saving which can put lives at risk."

'Making money'

But Claire Armstrong, co-founder of Safe Speed - which campaigns against speed cameras - said: "We're pretty disgusted. It's obviously got nothing to do with road safety.

"The fact it's raising so much revenue will add to the police/public divide and continue to make people believe it's just about making money."

Ms Armstrong said traffic police officers are a much better judge of road safety as they assess a motorist's overall driving, not just their speed.

"You don't measure safe driving in miles per hour," she added.

The M6 roadworks are due to be completed by 26 March.
Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/england/cumbria/8559670.stm

Published: 2010/03/10 13:20:25 GMT

© BBC MMX

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.