Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Where do I stand (main dealer question)
sdh2903

posted on 16/3/17 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
Where do I stand (main dealer question)

Hi all. We have a 2014 focus 1.6 tdci as the family hack. Just before the last service 2k ago I noticed the exterior of the turbo was covered in soot and that the mpg had dropped from around 49mpg to 42 ish. 

So it went in for service and as expected they found nothing wrong. They cleaned up the turbo and said to check in a 1000 miles or so.

So anyway the soot on the turbo is back the mpg is still crap and dropping and also the car is lacking in power. A hill to get out of the estate where we live has always been a pootle up in 3rd kind of hill now it's a drop into 2nd or you will stall.

Dropped the car in today and the arrogant git on the counter was already making excuses before they'd even looked at it. Basically saying if there's nothing on the diagnostics then there's nothing they can do! Really? Are ford techs not allowed to inspect a vehicle if the computer says it's fine?

So my question is should they fob me off tomorrow where do I stand. Can I refuse to take the car back? Do I take it to another dealer for a second opinion? The car is leased from Lex autolease, should I get them involved?

loggyboy

posted on 16/3/17 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
If its out of warranty just take it somewhere else.
If its under warranty speak to the manager and tell him if they arent prepared to do a proper check, you plan to take it to an independent garage for a report, if something is found to wrong you will be expecting Ford to rectify it and reimburse you for the independent inspection. Mention local media, facebook and general social media as a way to reinforce the need for them to at least try.

Mistral Motorsport

sdh2903

posted on 16/3/17 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
It's under warranty til September. It's a fairly typical attitude from the Arnold Clark dealers round here unfortunately. I shall wait and see what they try and fob me off with tomorrow.
r1_pete

posted on 16/3/17 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
Clearly there shouldnt be soot on the turbo, it means:

There are exhaust fumes leaking at least underbonnet.

The car is potentially dangerous if those fumes get into the passenger area.

It will, or should, fail an MOT.

Give them one more chance to take it in and fix it, then go to trading standards.

[Edited on 16/3/17 by r1_pete]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 16/3/17 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
Soot around a turbo normally means the egr / egr pipes and dpf are starting to block up not rocket science the exhaust gases want to get out some where and it's picking the turbo body as the easiest route I would speak to the Ford dealer again the service manager would be the best man to speak too you need to sort it or your replacing a lot of parts at great expense.
sdh2903

posted on 17/3/17 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
Well it's back and they have allegedly found a failed clamp on the turbo ( I didn't see owt wrong with it) and replaced the turbo gaskets. The health check didn't show anything as expected. On the drive home the car did feel different and a bit peppier. So I will run it and keep an eye on it. Lex have said they will reccomend a repair centre to strip and examine the car should it be required again (not an Arnold Clark dealership surprise surprise).
Ivan

posted on 17/3/17 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
Hope it's not in any way related to the head crack causing fires through oil leakage onto exhaust in the Kugas - sounds like the same motor.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.