Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Is this truly the end for kit cars?
David Jenkins

posted on 27/7/17 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234

I suspect there will be a modular system for these components, in the same way as we use an engine module, and a gearbox module at the moment.

The trouble would be with the IVA (or equivalent when this comes into force) - just imagine the requirements for safety and control of the electrical systems to ensure safe charging and discharging of batteries (non-trivial) and management of the hydrogen tank (in the case of fuel cell cars). The only controls at the moment are to do with emissions, and even that depends on the age of the engine. In the case of my x-flow car, the MOT man revs the engine for a while and if he can still see the car it passes! (an exaggeration, but you know what I mean).

sssline

posted on 27/7/17 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
Interesting link if you would like to see how much electricity is being used and where its coming form

National Grid

https://www.facebook.com/groups/swkitcars/

Simon

posted on 27/7/17 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
quote:
Originally posted by Simon
20 years time, the scrappies will be full of tesla S100D's/BMW i8's. So we'll have 400bhp kitcars that are charged by a solar panel on the roof.

What's not to like

The sound of a burbling v8.

Yep, been there, done that (15 years ago!) and got the t shirt - look at my archive.

Now, I'm boring and have put a deposit on a Tesla Model 3 because I really like the idea of not paying (relatively speaking) to go anywhere. If I was building Deimos from scratch now, it would have a diesel - same bhp, more torque and 3x the mpg. As for the sound, well, it's a bit like a loud can on a bike - you can only hear it up to about 50mph then sound gets lost.

I will, however, persevere with my 1UZFE powered Scimitar. See http://scimitarv8project.blogspot.co.uk/ for updates.

quote:
Originally posted by chillis
It must be remembered that we have grown up in an age where the expectation of being able to travel anywhere and at anytime is seen as a right ...

It is a right, this ain't north korea and god help any idiot who thinks it'll change.

[Edited on 27/7/17 by Simon]

JoelP

posted on 27/7/17 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
There's a video on YouTube of a Tesla model X beating an Alfa 4c in a drag race - whilst towing an alfa 4c on a trailer behind it. The future is electric.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

40inches

posted on 27/7/17 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
There's a video on YouTube of a Tesla model X beating an Alfa 4c in a drag race - whilst towing an alfa 4c on a trailer behind it. The future is electric.

Ah! But do you own the batteries????

Simon

posted on 27/7/17 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
You do, and they're warranted for 8 years.
coyoteboy

posted on 27/7/17 at 11:27 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't worry too much, there's plenty of generating capacity in renewables if we bother to harness it. Battery tech will become plenty good enough by 2040. Trucks would be much better if they were electric. 4wd electric home-built cars will be fun, they'll just require a different skill-set, which will be much more widespread by then anyway.

02GF74

posted on 28/7/17 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
I wouldn't worry too much, .

exactly, by then if I'm lucky I will have had to retake my driving test otherwise be drooling in a wheelchair sitting in my own piss, electric cars will be the least of my worries.

but is all seems so very strange and almost like knee jerk reaction; city pollution isn't going to go down if there is no change to the current encouragement of packing in as many people into small areas. ..... and it hasn't been thought through either, what will happen to all those people making them little green plastic petrol cans?

craigdiver

posted on 28/7/17 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by russbost
I don't think we'll be colonising any other planets in volume anytime soon

Am I going to have to add weight to my car so it doesn't float off when we all move to mars?

If it ain't broken, fix it anyway (just because).

Building - BMW powered Haynes Roadster/442E hybrid.

Volvo C30 T5 Polestar

Mr Whippy

posted on 28/7/17 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
would be good if they fitted charging pads into the road at know areas where traffic builds up or have them all along the road charging as you go...

I don't see anything about LPG being banned, that may be a better alternative for the older cars to run as most can do so. I think petrol would be come quite sparse to find and hiked right up in price due lack of demand.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 28/7/17 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

hmm but that's the problem, they need replacing after 8 years so who's going to buy your car if it's only got a year or so left on a pack life? they know there is a huge expense coming up so folk would either not touch it or want a big discount to cover the cost of the new one, so in effect you have to pay for that too even though your selling it on.

It's a bit like trying to sell a petrol car that has only 10k left on it's engine and then needs a whole new one installed. I mind Rolls Royce had this problem with the Silver Shadow, that it actually was meant to have a full engine rebuild at 100k so there were loads at bargain prices just below that mileage available cos no one wanted to touch them.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
SJ

posted on 28/7/17 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Simple solution to a lot of the problems of recharging......user replaceable battery packs/ trays call it what you will. I am 99.9% sure its already been thought of and is being worked on (if not its my idea and I claim £0.01 per pack built in future)

So basically a scaled up Tamiya! We'll even be able to build our own from a kit.

coyoteboy

posted on 29/7/17 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
quote:

hmm but that's the problem, they need replacing after 8 years so who's going to buy your car if it's only got a year or so left on a pack life? they know there is a huge expense coming up so folk would either not touch it or want a big discount to cover the cost of the new one, so in effect you have to pay for that too even though your selling it on.

It's a bit like trying to sell a petrol car that has only 10k left on it's engine and then needs a whole new one installed. I mind Rolls Royce had this problem with the Silver Shadow, that it actually was meant to have a full engine rebuild at 100k so there were loads at bargain prices just below that mileage available cos no one wanted to touch them.

Hmmm but the battery isn't dead after the warranty period, it's just more likely to die off.

This should ease your mind...
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1110149_tesla-model-s-battery-life-what-the-data-show-so-far

WesBrooks

posted on 31/7/17 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
Consider the kit car system as an ecosystem. Change in biological systems initiates a period of rapid evolution before things reach a new happy/stable level. The same things happen in more artificial systems like motorsport eg F1 rule changes. This change will eventually force change for the amateur builders. I really look forward to seeing the rapid level of development and hope I'm in a position to have a crack at it myself with what would be my second 4x4 build.

There is apprehension about handling the storage and delivery of the electrical energy but storing 60l+ of highly volatile fluid isn't trivial and formula E have managed well so far, be it with a few battery overheating related go-slows.

http://doctrucker.wordpress.com

HowardB

posted on 1/8/17 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
built by a bloke in a shed - albeit in Switzerland - there is hope - maybe

electric car from shed

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.