Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Learners on M-way but can't believe the 'advice'
jps

posted on 4/6/18 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
Learners on M-way but can't believe the 'advice'

I think the decision to have learners on motorways is well overdue (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44350285).
I appreciate not every area of the country has motorways, so I can see why we don't have it as a mandatory part of the test, but it has always seemed madness that drivers were let loose on them with no instruction...

But the 'advice' from the instructor that "Motorways are similar to dual carriageways - which learners have already driven on - so it's the same but a bit faster" makes me seriously worry that Sharon Starr is teaching people to drive!

02GF74

posted on 4/6/18 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
If it means people are taught to drive properly on motorways so there are fewer idiots in the middle and outside lanes when the inside lane is empty then I'm all for it.

[Edited on 5/6/18 by 02GF74]

Slimy38

posted on 4/6/18 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jps
But the 'advice' from the instructor that "Motorways are similar to dual carriageways - which learners have already driven on - so it's the same but a bit faster" makes me seriously worry that Sharon Starr is teaching people to drive!

I saw the same advice, I honestly thought someone was taking the P. I did kind of understand as there are a few two lane motorways near me, and as you go from dual carriageway to motorway (A42 to M42 for example), it doesn't really change. But assuming you consider a 'real' motorway to have three or more lanes then it becomes a whole different kettle of ballgames.

bi22le

posted on 4/6/18 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
The A2 in the south east is a monster A road. In one direction; 3 lanes of fixed limit 50 in to London, with obligatory short fused commuters. The other direction flowing 3 lanes where 100mph seems appropriate.

That will get people the experience they need!!

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

posted on 4/6/18 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
I can't see that an hour or two on a motorway will make much difference. The sensible will drive sensibly and the mad lunatics will drive like, mad lunatics.

There's a "chocolate box" village near me, where there stands a telegraph pole 50 metres before the 30 limit turns to 40.
At the base there are flowers. Late at night a car full of teenagers on their way out..... You can guess the rest.

The driver will have had many hours training on A roads that were 30's.

SteveWalker

posted on 4/6/18 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
Yes we have speed humps all the way along a narrow road, where you'd not normally do more than about 25mph, because many years ago a group of teenagers did 100mph along it - until they reached the raised (almost hump-back) section, took off and hit a very large tree. Some were killed and others suffered injuries that will affect them for life, but all the rest of us, who were never so stupid, have to suffer the bumps, discomfort and wear and tear because of it.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.