Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Court order against a car?
russbost

posted on 8/10/18 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
Court order against a car?

My daughter owns a car which was purchased from her ex- boyfriend - turns out he had a court order against him for around £1500 which we believe forbids him from selling any possessions owned at that time - the car would have been owned by him & his name on the V5 then & is worth around £800. Is there any way to check whether the car has a charge against it? Would HPI show that up as it's totally different to HP agreement - I don't want her to waste money HPI'ing the car if that wouldn't show it up anyway?

If there is no court judgement against the car now, could one still be raised against it even tho' the car is now in her name as it was in his at the time of judgement? I really don't want her to come home & find her car has been towed away when she's done nothing wrong!

Any info much appreciated

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 8/10/18 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
I've no experience but a google turned this up....

https://www.trustonline.org.uk/understand-judgments-fines/searching-the-registers/the-registers-for-judgments-and-fines

which details how to do searches and the costs (£5 for a search, £8 for two etc).

slingshot2000

posted on 8/10/18 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,
Please don't take this all as gospel, but one or two points may be useful;

A County Court order could not prevent him from selling possessions.

A HPI check would only show if their was an outstanding finance agreement against the actual car, if it was a bank loan this wouldn't show.

The name on the V5 is the registered keeper, not the same as the legal owner.

The car can only be the subject of a court order if it has been "seized" and recorded as such by an "Officer of the High Court", (I doubt if County Court bailiffs have this power).

Has she got a receipt from her ex for the money she handed over? (Did she actually pay for it ?).

A quick call to your local Citizens Advice Bureau may be helpful and cheaper than a solicitor.

loggyboy

posted on 8/10/18 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
Whats your daughter look like???

Mistral Motorsport

slingshot2000

posted on 8/10/18 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy

Ohhhh, ^^^^^^^^ naughty boy !

( I never thought of asking that ).

SJ

posted on 8/10/18 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

quote:

Ohhhh, ^^^^^^^^ naughty boy !

( I never thought of asking that ).

????? Probably being stupid but what's that got to do with anything?

russbost

posted on 8/10/18 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
A lot prettier than I am!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
slingshot2000

posted on 8/10/18 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
Now all we need is the old favourite;

""This thread means nothing without pictures ""

steve m

posted on 8/10/18 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to be pedantic, but we are talking about Eight hundred pounds/£800 ?

If so, whats the big deal, as its worth nothing in real terms, as for that amount its pretty well banger material

If the courts come running and want it back, give it back, if they don't, then your Daughter (we need a pic ) has a banger that she can sell next year for £500

Now if she had got hold of the Ex's Ferrari 458, we would all be having a different conversation

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

nick205

posted on 8/10/18 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
Sorry to be pedantic, but we are talking about Eight hundred pounds/£800 ?

If so, whats the big deal, as its worth nothing in real terms, as for that amount its pretty well banger material

If the courts come running and want it back, give it back, if they don't, then your Daughter (we need a pic ) has a banger that she can sell next year for £500

Now if she had got hold of the Ex's Ferrari 458, we would all be having a different conversation

steve

Ditto £800 cars are (no offence) sheds next stop often the scrap yard.

If it was £8,000 then a different matter.

snapper

posted on 8/10/18 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I’ll say it for you Russ
That’s Fu....g inappropriate and if was my daughter he was talking about.....

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Theshed

posted on 8/10/18 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
Two possibilities. The boyfriend may be bankrupt - you can search this on the 'personal insolvency register' in which case he would no longer own the car OR a baliff has taken 'walking possession' of the car. In either case your daughter might have to return the car.

If the boyfriend has sold a car knowing that he should not some gentle fatherly advice on the choice of boyfriend might be appropriate and would be....in my experience.....futile.

loggyboy

posted on 8/10/18 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snapper
quote:

I’ll say it for you Russ

Wind your neck in.. its a fu.....g joke.

Mistral Motorsport

Wadders

posted on 8/10/18 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

I’ll say it for you Russ

Whatever you do, stay away from the forums on Pistonheads

russbost

posted on 9/10/18 at 07:10 AM Reply With Quote
Yes, agreed, £800 isn't a lot & next stop may well be the scrapper, but she's just bought her first house & is pretty much cleaned out, £800 is 2 mortgage payments & money she could ill afford to lose, also she relies on the car for her job so losing it with no warning would be pretty awkward! Yes, we'd obviously help her out if it came to it, but I prefer my kids to stand on their own 2 feet (unlike many millennials!) if possible

Thanks for the info guys, sounds as though she doesn't have anything to worry about from what's been said, I thought that was probably the case, but couldn't find much on Google to back that up

Cheers!

russbost

posted on 9/10/18 at 07:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

I’ll say it for you Russ

Taken in the spirit it was intended, no offence whatsoever

WallerZero

posted on 9/10/18 at 07:39 AM Reply With Quote
Sell it, buy another cheap banger, sleep easy without any worries

http://zachsgbszero.blogspot.co.uk/

russbost

posted on 9/10/18 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Theshed
Two possibilities. The boyfriend may be bankrupt - you can search this on the 'personal insolvency register' in which case he would no longer own the car OR a baliff has taken 'walking possession' of the car. In either case your daughter might have to return the car.

If the boyfriend has sold a car knowing that he should not some gentle fatherly advice on the choice of boyfriend might be appropriate and would be....in my experience.....futile.

I know he's not bankrupt, annoyingly he should never have had the court order against him in the first place, but instead of "wasting his time" because he was in the right & TFL were in the wrong, he ignored all threatening letters & chucked them in the bin, hence now has a court order & bailiffs chasing him for payment.
I'm just glad he's now gone & she can move on, hopefully to someone who's less of a dickhead - the fatherly advice has been offered many times & ..... obviously ignored!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.