Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: SUV advice
myke pocock

posted on 15/4/19 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
SUV advice

Hello All, I am looking to replace my Skoda Yeti 2 litre Tdi. I need to be able to tow a twin axle trailer with my Skoda Estelle trials car on. Looking for a SUV (need that due to slight mobility issues so no low estate cars) with a 2 litre diesel (maybe smaller depending on power) I am not particularly interested in petrol as I like the torque and fuel efficiency of the diesel. At present I can get well over 40mpg on combined usuage and it will return over 30 mpg towing. I have around ten grand to spend. Any advice would be appreciated. Of course I need something that is reliable ie; no known issues.

[Edited on 15/4/19 by myke pocock]

Mr Whippy

posted on 15/4/19 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
Shogun would be my first choice. Don't touch any landrover rubbish. Your fuel figures sound fiction though and unlikely for an SUV that can tow anything.

[Edited on 15/4/19 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
big_wasa

posted on 15/4/19 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
My mate loves his Santa Fe. Has a good towing capacity.
myke pocock

posted on 15/4/19 at 11:25 PM Reply With Quote
Well Mr Whippy, I must be blind to the readout on the dash then!!!!
knight19770

posted on 16/4/19 at 06:42 AM Reply With Quote
Another thumbs up for the Santa FE, i had one 3 years ago and regret not getting another one. A lot of car for the money and very reliable. Will come with all the toys and very well priced. I now have a ford Kuga st-line and it's nowhere near as good.
Benzine

posted on 16/4/19 at 07:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Your fuel figures sound fiction though and unlikely for an SUV that can tow anything.

Yeti owner here, will easily get those figures. I'm presuming you skim read the OP?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 16/4/19 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
Having had several diesel Seat and VW cars over the years I don't much trust the MPG figures they give on the dashboard displays. I much prefer to calculate using volume of fuel put vs miles covered to get my MPG.

I'm certainly not a regular tower, but I do know that the added weight and air turbulence of towing reduces MPG. On the few times I've towed it's not really been a concern though as I'm generally towing a short distance and for good reason.

Mr Whippy

posted on 16/4/19 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Benzine
quote:
Your fuel figures sound fiction though and unlikely for an SUV that can tow anything.

Yeti owner here, will easily get those figures. I'm presuming you skim read the OP?

Don't take dash readouts as gospel some are a work of fiction and I suspect designed not to freak out the owner. When you do the measurements manually the MPG can be very different to what is displayed. The manufacture is under no obligation to insure their displays are even close to reality. Even my Volvo reads an average 28 mpg whether I doddle or fly into work it's been a running joke and my wife's identical car is no better. There's plenty ways to fiddle averages, I do it all the time at work...

[Edited on 16/4/19 by Mr Whippy]

tweek

posted on 16/4/19 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
I run a 2005 Touareg 3.0 tdi for towing, probably has more capacity than you need but it tows really well.

More recent models would get closer to your mpg target too.

Hope that helps.

"oh dear..." said god,
"I hadn't thought of that"
and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic

mark chandler

posted on 16/4/19 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
I love my D5 XC70, really well built, all the toys and you should get a late one like mine with the twin turbo 215hp engine for that kind of money - it's really fast, tows effortlessly and returns reasonable MPG.

Everything about it is robust, thick hide well appointed - just tough, it was £70,000 new I did not take that hit!

daviep

posted on 16/4/19 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Benzine
quote:

Don't take dash readouts as gospel some are a work of fiction and I suspect designed not to freak out the owner. When you do the measurements manually the MPG can be very different to what is displayed. The manufacture is under no obligation to insure their displays are even close to reality. Even my Volvo reads an average 28 mpg whether I doddle or fly into work it's been a running joke and my wife's identical car is no better. There's plenty ways to fiddle averages, I do it all the time at work...

[Edited on 16/4/19 by Mr Whippy]

I use to believe the same but having double checked quite a few cars over the years I've never found any real discrepancy.

It stands to reason that your wife's identical car will not be better than yours, if it was they wouldn't be identical

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.