Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Focus diesel
theconrodkid

posted on 17/9/19 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
Focus diesel

I have been offered a 2010 focus 1.6 diesel for cheap money, i know there are loads of stories about egr valves and dpfs, clogging and flywheels self destructing but has anyone got / had one, is it worth a punt ?, i usually only do short journeys but the motorway is not far for a weekly blast.

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Eddie1978

posted on 17/9/19 at 11:44 PM Reply With Quote
I have a 11plate one and I had read all the horror stories turbos injector seals etc......

I have had mine for nearly 3 years she now has 130k on her and still going strong

Main thing is regular oil changes I think its 6k I do mine every 5k using low ash oil, one of the problems is they carbon up the oil this then blocks the turbo fed (there is a little mesh filter in the banjo bolt for the turbo fed) if this blocks takes out the turbo etc,....

The other prob they have is the injector fire seals fail this then carbons everything up etc..... I did mine couple of years ago only 6quid for the copper seals and couple of hours work.

I dont have any love for the car but it does everything I ask of it, cheap to run, mine has the sport pack on it and handles pretty well, best bit is the MPG around town to and from work I never see below 54MPG and on a run its a easy 68MPG

DPF wise I did have a issue when I first bought it, they have a pre and post pressure sensors for the DPF these are fed via some rubber/silicone hoses and one of them had perished with the exhaust heat, Mine does and bit of motorway work couple times a month and REGEN has never been a issue.

Flywheels wise no different to most things with dualmass, have a good listen to it on tickover see if its rattling press the clutch see if the rattle stops etc....

[Edited on 17/9/19 by Eddie1978]

theconrodkid

posted on 18/9/19 at 07:04 AM Reply With Quote
Ok, thanks, having a look at the weekend

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

peter030371

posted on 18/9/19 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
I had a 2nd gen Focus. Engine was fine but the dual mass flywheel went and cost a fortune (about as much as the car was worth) and then 18 months/ 20K miles later started to go again despite using a quality branded part

Garage said it only had 12 month warranty on the new part so go away or pay us to fit another...I traded the car in quickly for a new car

Signs of flywheel problems are poor starting from cold (to the point it wouldn't start) and some 'odd' noises when changing gear.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.