Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Volkswagen Touran tailgate catch fix
nick205

posted on 28/10/19 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
Volkswagen Touran tailgate catch fix

Thought I'd share this on here as it may be of use to others.

Volkswagen Touran 2007.

A week ago the tailgate catch stopped working so the boot wouldn't stay shut.

After some internet research it appeared it's not an uncommon problem. Often overcome by replacing the catch complete mechanism. For info the mechanism contains a small electric motor, which operates the actual catch part. The motor can burn out, causing the failure.

On ebay I found the catch mechanism for £10.99 with 2 day free delivery.

To unbolt the catch mechanism from the tailgate you will need an M8 Spline / XZN tool. A tool/fixing type widely used by German car manufacturers. I bought a set of driver bits from Halfords for £12, which included the required tool.

1. Open the tailgate.
2. Open the flap to reveal the warning triangle and remove the warning triangle.
3. Remove the 2x Torx head screws that hold the waning triangle straps in place.
4. Remove the 2 x Torx head screws in the hand pull recesses.
5. Remove the plastic inner trim panel from the tailgate.
6. NB - the plastic inner trim panel is secured to the tailgate with metal spring clips and it takes significant force to pull it free.
7. Undo the 2x M8 Spline/XZN bolts that hold the tailgate catch to the tailgate.
8. Carefully remove the vehicle wiring loom plug from the tailgate catch (small flat blade screwdriver required to press/release the securing latch).
9. Connect the vehicle wiring loom plug to the replacement tailgate latch.
10. Bolt the replacement tailgate catch to the tailgate.
11. Check replacement tailgate catch operation (including locking and un-locking it) BEFORE refitting the plastic inner trim panel.

TOP TIP
Curious as to why the electric motor in the catch may have burnt out I investigated further. It appears the rear windscress washer hose (that goes inside the trim panel to the wiper are motor) has a small leak at the termination onto the motor mechanism. small amounts of wahser fluid have leaked and tracked down the tailgate (hidden by the trim panel) and dripped into the catch and into the motor!

A £4.99 OEM part from VW will resolve this irritating problem!

Hope this helps someone else on here!

rusty nuts

posted on 28/10/19 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
The rear windscreen washer leaking is a common VAG fault
nick205

posted on 28/10/19 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
The rear windscreen washer leaking is a common VAG fault

Having looked at the assembly I can see it would be. The soft rubbery hose carrying the washer fluid is slid over a separate hard plasticky material part on the back of the wiper motor assembly. It's the junction between the hose and the hard plasticky material part where the leak's occuring. a small cable tie around the end of the hose might solve the issue, but I'm going to replace the hard plasticky part first and then fit a little cable tie.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.