Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sellers saying V5 lost?
baz-R

posted on 22/12/20 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
Sellers saying V5 lost?

In the last few weeks I have been looking for a van/minibus/camper on the usual places ebay, gumtree and so on and noticed allot of sellers saying that the V5 has been lost? Some sellers selling multiple cars and commercial vehicles all with the same statement!

Personally I think I would be very careful buying a vehicle with no V5/ new owners slip off V5

I'm going to assume that this is some loophole that the sellers are trying get around like tax avoidance or is it a scam? I
know on occasions that buying from auctions sometimes you only get a V5 copy.

Anyone able to shead any light on what is going on

nick205

posted on 22/12/20 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
Can't answer your question.

Having sold my share of cars privately I'd not consider selling one without the V5 present and correct. Surely you can contact the DVLA/VOSA and get a replacement V5 document issued with the former one being cancelled as part of the process?

I'd accept (expect) there to be a fee for this, but again if you're selling a vehicle do things properly and have the right documentation for the vehicle.

Have you contacted any of the sellers to ask why there's no V5?

I've recently had some dealings with the DVLA and found them to be quicker acting than expected. Probably worth asking them the same question.

Mr Whippy

posted on 22/12/20 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
I've lost V5's before, very easy and quick to get a copy so it's not a valid reason. Too many con artists out there to take any risks at all.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
baz-R

posted on 22/12/20 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Can't answer your question.

Having sold my share of cars privately I'd not consider selling one without the V5 present and correct. Surely you can contact the DVLA/VOSA and get a replacement V5 document issued with the former one being cancelled as part of the process?

I'd accept (expect) there to be a fee for this, but again if you're selling a vehicle do things properly and have the right documentation for the vehicle.

Have you contacted any of the sellers to ask why there's no V5?

I've recently had some dealings with the DVLA and found them to be quicker acting than expected. Probably worth asking them the same question.

Yeah usually get the same response from the seller needs to be applied for or waiting for the dvla?

I remember 15 years back there was attempts to try and clamp down on people buying and selling too many cars to make unofficial income and the old V5 also changed and we got the back sheet slips with the new owners slip and trade slip so that the dvla can transfer the registration without the owner count going up.

nick205

posted on 22/12/20 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
Seems fishy all round to me then.

I'd avoid getting tangled up in a visible issue and look for another vehicle with the right paperwork.

taylormade100

posted on 22/12/20 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
I think it might be that rather than wait for the DVLA to send the V5 back in their name they state the V5 is lost so they can try and sell the vehicle straight away.

[Edited on 22/12/20 by taylormade100]

Werner Van Loock

posted on 22/12/20 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
Most likely auctioned vehicles that were repossessed and not UK registered, owner companies not bothering getting new v5 and auction buyer having vehicle without it and in other country. They should be able to apply for one but probably difficult process as their name is not on the registration. Same here in belgium, huge amount of cars being auctioned without paperwork, proper auctioneers deliver a certificate of ownership and a lost paperwork form issued by police, but many auctioneers don't bother and it's up to the buyer to arrange.

http://www.clubstylus.be

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Slimy38

posted on 22/12/20 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
Most sellers I've seen with 'no V5' are ones that are buying the vehicles cheap with the hope of cleaning them up and punting them on for a profit. They're turning them round faster than the paperwork can come through so they don't do it.

They do sometimes have the 'sellers slip', which I'm not sure is actually any better. As others have said, I just avoid them. I'd prefer to get a vehicle from someone who's had the vehicle for more than ten minutes. Or from a dealer where I can get the warranty.

rusty nuts

posted on 22/12/20 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
Just be aware there has been a large number of motorhomes and campers stolen recently
gremlin1234

posted on 22/12/20 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
I suspect they are trying to make it look like a private sale, so they have no warrantee comeback
snapper

posted on 22/12/20 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
You would want to get a receipt for the vehicle with registration and VIN number plus sellers details, you can then apply for the V5.
The V5 identifies the main user of the vehicle not the owner as in the case of hire purchase and leasing

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

ianhurley20

posted on 22/12/20 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
Walk away

russbost

posted on 23/12/20 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
It automatically raises questions & means you can't legally drive the vehicle away as you can't tax it without a V5 or the green slip from a V5.

With campers it could be so you can't see the taxation class as loads get converted from vans, but don't comply with necessary window requirements etc. to get reclassified as a camper rather than a van, hence don't qualify for the cheaper road tax - can be difficuylt to insure as well as when insurers check on the database it will come up as a van when you are trying to insure a camper

If it looks too cheap, it's probably dodgy & almost certainly better to walk away

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
rusty nuts

posted on 25/12/20 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
Just been reading on the Totalkitcar website that DVLA now have an online service update , get a vehicle logbook (V5c) basically you get a V5 instantly so there is no longer any excuse for the seller to say it’s missing. Cost is £25
perksy

posted on 25/12/20 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
There will always be another vehicle that won't raise any doubts or concerns, unlike this one...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.