Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OT Weatherseal Windows - Help!
Howlor

posted on 8/2/10 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
OT Weatherseal Windows - Help!

Evening All,

Totally off topic but I am sure someone on here may have some help for me.

I ordered UPVC windows from Weatherseal last August. We wanted Cream wood effect which they said was possible but was new to them. They made a small sample which was fine. We have paid a small deposit £500ish, but still not had the windows!

Despite alot of chasing through the Leeds office and head office in Winsford I am just not getting anywhere. I emailed the CEO but no joy.

Now I am just fed up with the whole thing. I am sure we got a very good deal at the time as they were probably slack so I think they are waiting for me to back out so they don't have to honour the price.

Any ideas folks? Nuking Winsford head office, although a good idea may not get me my windows!

Thanks,
Steve

locoboy

posted on 8/2/10 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
Turn up on spec and wait to see the most senior person on site that day.

Be firm and stick to your guns, if you have paperwork outlining your price and any delivery times take them with you. If the matter is not resloved to your satisfaction I would tell him/her that you will be back tomorrow, and the day after, and the day after that etc etc.

Persistance rather than bull in a china shop would work best with these sorts of companies i think.

ATB
Locoboy

iank

posted on 8/2/10 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
Curates egg for reviews (which could mean a number of things)
http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews145658.html

But this one is interesting
http://www.reviewcentre.com/review617489.html

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

perksy

posted on 8/2/10 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
Read the paperwork carefully that they supplied when you handed over the deposit

Keep copies of any letters etc sent to them

Contact trading standards if you feel your not getting anywhere...

There *might* be an issue obtaining the UPVC profile that you have ordered

(Used to work in the business and it can be a minefield if you aren't careful )

Confused but excited.

posted on 8/2/10 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
"There *might* be an issue obtaining the UPVC profile that you have ordered."

What, from last August?

Oops typo.

[Edited on 8/2/10 by Confused but excited.]

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

MikeR

posted on 8/2/10 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
if you do visit them - always take photocopies. That way if some gorrilla rips them up in front of you ...... he's achieved nothing
skinned knuckles

posted on 8/2/10 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
some middle level manager is sat there waiting for you to cancel you agreement because he quoted too cheap.

time to get heavy handed. let them know its time for them to supply according to contract or to give suitable compensation for their messing you around.

trading standards should happily take the case on, especially if you have an expected delivery date from them.

threaten them with local press coverage etc.

just because a buisness is running a bit slack doesn't mean it can take on deposits from orders it never expects to forfill just to pay its employees wages (far more common than you might think) you have been wronged and should fight.

can you imagine how they would react if they had fitted your windows and you were unable to meet your contractual obligation by paying them the balance? agreements/contracts work both ways!!

A man isn't complete until he's married, then he's finished

phoenix70

posted on 8/2/10 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
take it from me, a disappointed weatherseal customer, try and get your deposit back and go elsewhere. I got full windows and doors from them, and it took them eight weeks to finish the job, and it must of been six months to put right all the cock ups they made (wrong door for a start, wood pattern the wrong way on one of the panels in the other door.)

I had to withhold payment from them to get them to finish the job and even then, they didn't seem in any rush to do it. I had to look at the bare brickwork round my back door for two months.

BTW they still never got paid the full amount, I told them I was withholding a couple of hundred for the inconvience and they would have to sue me for the rest, needless to say, they never did.

Howlor

posted on 8/2/10 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
Thought about going elsewhere, however we had a couple of recommendations from friends but then the next person you speak to had a bad experience with that company. It's a bloody minefield.

Great comments guys, these are useful.

Thanks,
Steve

perksy

posted on 8/2/10 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Confused but excited.
"There *might* be an issue obtaining the UPVC profile that you have ordered."

What, from last August?

Oops typo.

[Edited on 8/2/10 by Confused but excited.]

ooops Sorry missed that

Nope there ain't no excuse for that

austin man

posted on 8/2/10 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
Having been involved in the manafacture supply and fitting of PVCU windows for 10 years or more the longest any of my customers waited wad 6 weeks this being when we had to have profile bent for arched windows etc and had to send the materials away.

August to now is a long way off you obviously signed a contarct with them and they with you. Start the process off send them a letter giving them 14 days in which to respond state your intentions in the letter also let Trading Standards be aware this may end up in court for you to reclaim your money. I would think that you are better off getting a full refund for breach of contract.

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

Steve Hignett

posted on 8/2/10 at 11:26 PM Reply With Quote
I'm more than happy to nip in and have a word for you if it would help?

Or you could nip over here for a cup o tea and we could both go?

It's only a few miles away...

Peteff

posted on 9/2/10 at 12:15 AM Reply With Quote
We're looking at new windows for the front of the house, I don't think I'll be looking at Weatherseal thanks.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

MikeRJ

posted on 9/2/10 at 12:31 AM Reply With Quote
Hmm, those reviews on Weatherseal completely mirror my experience with getting a "No obligation" quote from Stay Brite. The chap that came around to quote was here for over 4 hours, did the old "show house" pony show, gave me a price close to 1/2 what I paid for my house and then immediately reduced it by 2/3. He rang his 'boss' every 5 minutes trying to get me a better price and finally got really aresy when I wouldn't sign for over £8k there and then, and eventually had to literally herd him out the front door.

I can remember him asking what price would he have to give me to sign now so I said 5k (which was about £500 less than local builders had quoted) and he almost had a fit.

The next company I got in I told the guy I had no intentions of signing anything that evening, so he was free to bugger of if he didn't want to give me my "no obligation" quote and he was actually OK about it. I still need new windows several years later though, and I think I'll get the local builder that quoted originaly.

MikeR

posted on 9/2/10 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
I got in [insert name of large company who i can't remember here]. Lets just say it didn't go too well. She turned up in a brand new merc barge, i mean it was MASSIVE. Couldn't help thinking ..... she must make a tidy profit on these windows she's selling. First thing i did was point out i wasn't going to sign anything that night as i'd get other quotes in.

I told her i wanted like for like replacement windows. She then proceeded to show me white, light brown, open this way, open that, leaded crosses, coloured glass .... i was getting frustrated.

At one point she started talking warranties. I explained i only intended being in the house for 3 or 4 years. Came up with the classic "our 15 year warranties are longer than everyone else's 7 or 10 year warranty". I asked if i sold the house could i transfer the warranty, she said no. I asked what is the point of me getting your warranty then ...... we had 5 minutes arguing the merits of a warranty i could never use due to moving.

Did the whole price thing, phoning the boss etc. She got really annoyed that I wasn't going to sign. Asked me how much i'd realistically expect to pay, i said about 6 or 7k. Her face looked like i'd just propositioned her 16 year old daughter. Her initial price was over 20k. It rapidly came down to around 11k with show home / Christmas discount etc.

MikeRJ

posted on 9/2/10 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
Is there actually such a thing as a reliable and professional double glazing company, or are they all run by crooks?
Howlor

posted on 9/2/10 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
Thats what I was asking myself. Is there anyone out there who I can ring, give me a price, order then fit and I'll be happy with the installation?

If so I'll ring them today!

Steve

Bluemoon

posted on 9/2/10 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
There is probably a good business opportunity there.. Do it properly and get a good reputation for a good price and I bet you will make more money than the reps ever do..

Dan

quote:
Originally posted by Howlor
Thats what I was asking myself. Is there anyone out there who I can ring, give me a price, order then fit and I'll be happy with the installation?

If so I'll ring them today!

Steve

NS Dev

posted on 9/2/10 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
as MikeRJ said, your local, good quality, well respected, small building company are probably your best bet. THEY have a reputation to uphold and most if not all their work comes via that reputation.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.