Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Best way to paint varnished ali grab rail
James

posted on 16/7/10 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
Best way to paint varnished ali grab rail

Girlfriend just bought a 2nd hand Suzuki SV to replace her write-off Gixxer.

For some reason it's missing the rear grab rail (which may explain why both rear fairings are snapped nearly off- to be replaced!).

She's bought a replacement but it's the wrong colour so it needs painting and she's decided to go for black.

It's currently 'painted' blue and then varnished:

Grab rail
Grab rail

Grab rail 2
Grab rail 2

The bike isn't mint so doesn't deserve paying to have it properly plastic coated and she'll be getting the proper yellow paint for the bodywork in a couple of months.

In the meantime, if we went for Plasticoat black paint (worked well on my wishbones and rollbar) what should be done to prepare the rail?

I'm assuming it's as simple as:
wet and dry (what grade?) to 'key' the varnish (or whatever the current top coat is).
Then plasticoat primer (couple of coats)
Then black plasticoat (couple of coats).

Should there then be a laquer on top of the plasticoat?

Thanks!

James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

MikeRJ

posted on 16/7/10 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
Are you certain it's actually been "varnished"? Unless someone got carried away whilst slapping a bit of Sadolin on their woodwork it should just be a standard clear coat on top.

Sand it down with a suitable grade of wet and dry, degrease and spray it.

Good bikes though, I just bought this:

iank

posted on 16/7/10 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
Looks anodized blue not painted, but I don't think you need etch primer for anodized ali, so your plan looks good.

Edit: Should have said anodized and then clear coated/laquered.
Edit2: Don't sand through the anodizing or you'll need etch primer (U-pol Acid #8 or similar)

[Edited on 16/7/10 by iank]

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

James

posted on 16/7/10 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
What grade wet and dry? Never really used it before.

Thanks,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

thunderace

posted on 16/7/10 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
just sand it with a scotch pad and paint it with black satin plasti kote black satin ,hang it from a coat hanger to paint it and lots of thin coats giving it 5 mins between coats .this will give it a factory finish look .
James

posted on 16/7/10 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
Are you certain it's actually been "varnished"? Unless someone got carried away whilst slapping a bit of Sadolin on their woodwork it should just be a standard clear coat on top.

Sand it down with a suitable grade of wet and dry, degrease and spray it.

Good bikes though, I just bought this:

Nice looking bike Mike!

You're probably right about the clear coat!

thunderace

posted on 16/7/10 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James
What grade wet and dry? Never really used it before.

Thanks,
James

you just want to take the shine off it and paper wont get into all the bits you need to sand thats why you need to use a scotch pad rub it then wash it dry it and if you see any shiney bits then scotch it again you can use water with scotch pads (there just kitchen scouring pads.)another tip is to heat the paint in a jug of hot water it will give it a better finish .(i use boiling water but it can make the can exsplode but its never happened to me lol yet)

Daddylonglegs

posted on 16/7/10 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James
For some reason it's missing the rear grab rail (which may explain why both rear fairings are snapped nearly off- to be replaced!).....

Sound like someone screwed up the wheelie attempt to me

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.