Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Is it illegal to.... police camera van.
graememk

posted on 17/11/10 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
Is it illegal to.... police camera van.

Park on the foot path

Drive over a raised curb

also what does it mean when a curb stone on the foot path has a yellow line painted on it

rozzervan2
rozzervan2

rozzervan3
rozzervan3

rozzervan4
rozzervan4

[Edited on 17/11/10 by graememk]

LBMEFM

posted on 17/11/10 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
Yes

Yes

Restricted parking see adjacent sign on post for details

matt_claydon

posted on 17/11/10 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
In London it's generally illegal to park on the pavement. In the rest of the country sometimes there are bylaws that forbid it, but otherwise it's only illegal if you are causing an obstruction.

The pavement dashes mean there are waiting/loading restrictions in addition to the normal parking restrictions inferred by single or double yellows. Single dashes usually mean no loading at certain times, doubles usually mean no loading at any time.

Some useful advice here:
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/parking-rules

[Edited on 17/11/10 by matt_claydon]

mistergrumpy

posted on 17/11/10 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
The only time you can drive on the pavement is when theres a dropped kerb. Everything else is a no no.
graememk

posted on 17/11/10 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mistergrumpy
The only time you can drive on the pavement is when theres a dropped kerb. Everything else is a no no.

thats what i thought...

blakep82

posted on 17/11/10 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
thought you could put only 2 wheels on the pavement, as long as there is space for a wheelchair/electric buggy to get by? but then thats only 2 wheels, not all 4 lol

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

ReMan

posted on 17/11/10 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
thought you could put only 2 wheels on the pavement, as long as there is space for a wheelchair/electric buggy to get by? but then thats only 2 wheels, not all 4 lol

Interested to see that, urban myth methinks?

SteveWalker

posted on 17/11/10 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
Unless there is an order allowing parking on the pavement, you are not supposed to. I'm also fairly sure that as long as you have left enough space for pedestrians with trollies and wheelchair users to get through, no-one is going to bother, as it is not actually an offence to park on the pavement, but it is to drive on the pavement - therefore unless you are causing an obstruction, you will only normally be booked if they see you driving on or off the pavement.

In the picture shown, the yellow lines are valid including the pavement, so it is an offence to park there.

Police vehicles in the line of duty can ignore parking restrictions as long as they do not themselves cause an obstruction.

I could have all this wrong, but that is my understanding.

Anyway, whatever the law, simple pragmatism dictates that on many residential streets the only practical way for residents and visitors to park without narrowing the road so much as to block it for larger vehicles (such as fire tenders) is to park partly on the pavement. As long as it is done with consideration for others, I have no problem with that.

austin man

posted on 17/11/10 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
If the vehicle is illegall parked any speeding offences generated from the day can be challenged and will wn an appeal. A similar thing happemed in my village and the pictures where sent to the local rag the police commented that all speeding offences challenged would be dropped on the grounds of legalities.

i would like to see action taken against the police for illegal parking

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

austin man

posted on 17/11/10 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
Amazin that we the driver get jumped on for the slightest fault would the Van driver also be charged ? I received 3 points mayyears ago for the rear wheels of my car just infringing the zig zags on a pelican crossing. No lenience at all

Get it reported if your worried because your a local get someone else to take up the mantle. Lets fight back

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

graememk

posted on 17/11/10 at 11:11 PM Reply With Quote
i'm not local it was in loughborough today, i think im with in the law taking a photo in a public place...

austin man

posted on 17/11/10 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
well within the law he was taking photos whilst being parked illegally, I would send it to the local papers with the street details, time etc and let them publicise it

graememk

posted on 17/11/10 at 11:18 PM Reply With Quote
already done that.......

austin man

posted on 17/11/10 at 11:34 PM Reply With Quote
good man I think we should start a group up to get our own back on the money generating authority who are there to protect and serve !! and make them police the streets and do their jobs with conviction

Ben_Copeland

posted on 18/11/10 at 07:04 AM Reply With Quote
I'd love to sneak up and put a clamp on the front wheel. Plus throw some screws down infront of the tyres

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

yozza

posted on 18/11/10 at 07:25 AM Reply With Quote
I live on the wirral, the council are using a few little smart cars with a telescopic camera raised from the roof which constantly monitors busy high streets for anyone dropping people off, going to the cash machine etc. The smart cars themselves are often illegally parked to get the best view of the road, sitting there with someone reading the paper, refusing to open his window and answer any questions/abuse. It is a bit ironic that an illegally parked vehicle results in you getting a parking ticket several weeks later for illegal parking or even stopping to drop off. Taxi's etc are not immune i believe. With the camera raised a good 30 foot high a smart car must be quite easy to topple over......

RickRick

posted on 18/11/10 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
I think if i lived there i'd have to find something big, like a sign or a nice 8*4 of something, and go and stand outside behind the van, just waiting for someone to pick me up
jossey

posted on 18/11/10 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
see here.

http://locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=134127

i would suggest sending the pics to your local paper.

dave

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
westf27

posted on 18/11/10 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
I'll let you tell him

BenB

posted on 18/11/10 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82

Interested to see that, urban myth methinks?

In London it's illegal to. I got a ticket for it and checked Unfortunately true. Passed a couple of years back....

mad4x4

posted on 18/11/10 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
Just get number plates made up - with the Traffic VAN REG and drive past REALLY FAST

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 18/11/10 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
we spend days driving on pavements! Cycle paths, parks yes we have done it all.
We work on street cabs so access is always a problem.
As we generate 230 v to work with the van has to be near the job
so it goes where we can get it
...got stuck lots and been to some weird places down paths ect......
Beacons on hazards and off you go

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.