Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Trials Car Picture
John Bonnett

posted on 18/12/10 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
Trials Car Picture

I managed to rescue just this one picture from the file showing my son Chris re-inflating the tyres after completing one of the sections on this year's MCC Edinburgh Trial

[img] Reinflating tyres, MCC Edinburgh 2010
Reinflating tyres, MCC Edinburgh 2010
[/img]

I'll post some others when I manage to find them

John

designer

posted on 18/12/10 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
What car is that?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
T66

posted on 18/12/10 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
Is it a Spartan kit car - Triumph Herald base ?

John Bonnett

posted on 18/12/10 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
It's a mid engined car powered by a Peugeot 205GTI engine. I built the aluminium body for it.
T66

posted on 18/12/10 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John Bonnett
It's a mid engined car powered by a Peugeot 205GTI engine. I built the aluminium body for it.

Nice one, it has the look (in my head) of a spartan front end, but the bodywork behind the seats doesnt.

I realise the idea of the trials is to run on car tyres, I just cannot help thinking it needs some skinny tractor tyres on the back.

The events always look quite social affairs...

John Bonnett

posted on 18/12/10 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
You're quite right about thin section tyres. They do work very well in the mud, cutting down to something solid and finding grip.

My Austin 7 which did amazingly well in these events had 3.25 x 19 tyres. The picture shows a bit of over exuberance on my part but we just avoided tipping over thanks to my 18 stone passenger.
Austin 7 on Waterloo, MCC Exeter Trial
Austin 7 on Waterloo, MCC Exeter Trial

bi22le

posted on 18/12/10 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
Wow That is a classic photo, what year was that?

Tell me more, show us more!!!

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

John Bonnett

posted on 18/12/10 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
That photo was taken in 1965. Here are a few more pictures of cars that I campaigned ober a 25 year perio
[img] Series E Morris 8 on Bluehills 2
Series E Morris 8 on Bluehills 2
[/img]

[img] Hillman Imp on Bluehills 2 1968 MCC Land End
Hillman Imp on Bluehills 2 1968 MCC Land End
[/img]

[img] Dellow MK1
Dellow MK1
[/img]

The Morris8 Series E had a 1600 crossflow, 105E gearbox and Anglia axle. The Hillman Imp was brand new and the Ford Special; is a Dellow.

dhutch

posted on 18/12/10 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
Some awesome photos, thankyou for sharing and keep them coming!
John Bonnett

posted on 18/12/10 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
The great thing about Trials is that there are classes for every type of car and they are a great day out; really sociable and a lot of fun. Unlike in many of motorsport disciplines you can still be competitive without spending a fortune. This YouTube clip was taken at the MCC Testing Trial during the Summer. All the tests were agains the clock.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evwqFW62cXQ

[Edited on 18/12/10 by John Bonnett]

T66

posted on 18/12/10 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
For some reason I had thoughts of Austin 7s two up, with fiddle brakes and steep hills...

I always thought the trial was up a steep hill with obstacles in a standard sort of car.

John Bonnett

posted on 18/12/10 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, you are right, certainly the one day field events are exactly like that. The MCC Classics are very different using roads to link sections which are not marked from 1 to 10 as they would be in a one day event. You just have to make a clean climb. These events are more of an endurance nature both for the car and the crew and they last for 20 hours. The Testing Trial is just a bit of fun in the Summer; very lighthearted and nobody takes it very seriously.
stevebubs

posted on 18/12/10 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/photos.php?action=gal&user=John Bonnett&folder=Attachments
John Bonnett

posted on 18/12/10 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
I've put a few pictures of the car in my photo archive.
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/photos.php?action=gal&user=John%20Bonnett

Peteff

posted on 18/12/10 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
This is the kind of car I associate with trialling. Link A friend of ours used to do a bit but sadly he died this year. I think his car ran a Triumph Acclaim type Honda engine.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

T66

posted on 18/12/10 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
This is the kind of car I associate with trialling. Link A friend of ours used to do a bit but sadly he died this year. I think his car ran a Triumph Acclaim type Honda engine.

Agreed thats my take on a trials car...

The Dellow looks interesting in your folder, and I see your not frightened to put the miles in with the trialler...

John Bonnett

posted on 19/12/10 at 07:59 AM Reply With Quote
Classic trials are one of the oldest forms of motorsport going back 100 years when most roads were not surfaced and cars and tyres not as reliable as they are now. It was a real test of driver and machine to do London Lands End London in one shot. Even today, many of the sections are the same as those used long ago. Look for a sign "Untuitable for motors" and that's pobably a section! Classic, reliability trials take place on public roads as well as forestry commission land and all cars have to be road legal. The sections themeselves are not marked 1 to 10 you just have to make a non-stop ascent. If you stop it's a fail. For some classes there are restarts and for everyone timed special tests as tie deciders. This link will explain better than I can:
http://www.themotorcyclingclub.org.uk/

An offshoot from Classic Trials are NTF trials for out and out specials conforming to the National trials Formula. These event take place in the day in fields and woods all on private land. The link given by Peteff shows NTF cars in action.

The Dellow was made especially for competing in trials and was fitted with a Ford sidevalve 1172 engine. They were produced in the early 50s at a time when steel was short. The chassis were made from ex MOD rocket launching tubes. Of the 300 produced, over 200 still survive.

This is us in UEV3 at Tring Park in the early 70s
[img] UEV3 at Tring Park 1970ish
UEV3 at Tring Park 1970ish
[/img]

A picture of a gathering of Dellows. A very engaging little car seriously appreciating in value.
[img] A gathering of Dellows
A gathering of Dellows
[/img]

[Edited on 19/12/10 by John Bonnett]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.