Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Changing a Mondeo tdci fuel filter (2008)
steve m

posted on 1/8/11 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
Changing a Mondeo tdci fuel filter (2008)

I would like to change the fuel filter on my 2008 TDCi mondeo, its at the back by the rear suspension
My mondoe does not self prime, or have the bulb to prime, so i am a bit concerned it wont start afterwards !

has any one done one on here, as there isnt a workshop manuel for my car (that i am aware of)

regards

Steve

speedyxjs

posted on 1/8/11 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
Crack the injection pipes and turn the engine over with a mate to shout when the pipes get wet. Tighten up pipes and off you go!

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

theconrodkid

posted on 1/8/11 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
fill the filter with fuel,turn the ignition on and off a couple of times before you start it,the in tank pump should prime the system

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

daviep

posted on 1/8/11 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by speedyxjs
Crack the injection pipes and turn the engine over with a mate to shout when the pipes get wet. Tighten up pipes and off you go!

Pretty sure the TDCi is common rail so the above statement doesn't apply and could be potentialy dangerous as the fuel pressure in the rail is very high.

Google seems to imply that the new filter will come with plugs to block the fuel lines when disconnected and getting these in quick prevents the lines emptying too much, then you need to refill the filter housing before refitting and boo's your uncle.

Never done it myself though

Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

Davegtst

posted on 1/8/11 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
DO NOT CRACK THE PIPES! On older diesels you can crack the pipes but on common rail diesels the pressure can be so high (couple of thousand bar) it can cause alot of damage and you may not get the pipes to reseal. With Fords that have no electric pump or hand primer i put a separate hand primer in line, and pump it until you get fuel through. Get someone to crank it while you pump the hand primer and it will start. If possible fill the new filter up with diesel first to reduce air in the system. It should start straight away if all you have done is change the filter but it will cut out very quickly, sometimes if you hold the revs to 3000 ish as soon as you start it you may not need to put a hand primer in line.
Davegtst

posted on 1/8/11 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theconrodkid
fill the filter with fuel,turn the ignition on and off a couple of times before you start it,the in tank pump should prime the system

Only early mondeos had electric pumps, most don't have one or a hand primer. Most fords are the same.

dinosaurjuice

posted on 1/8/11 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
theres sometimes a bleed nipple type thing on top of the fuel filter. use a syringe to suck the fuel through.

dont undo the injectors. 20,000+ psi spraying in your face will hurt.

jonesier1

posted on 1/8/11 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
firstly as said never crack injectors off on common rail,pre fill the filter,then start it up and hold the revs up,it will cut out after a while.pull the red return pipe off and apply suction(we use a rubber bulb type fuel primer) while someone cranks it and it should fire up after a short amount of cranking,leave to run for a min or two catching your fuel in a can ,switchoff,reconnect pipe .

im in my own little world...its ok though they know me there

v8kid

posted on 1/8/11 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
I've done this twice with my 2006 Mondeo and never knew any of the above but it worked!
I did fill the filter first time and it started after a couple of cranks, ran a bit rough for 30 seconds and then was fine.
The second time I thought I was a blaze old timer! Did not bother filling the filter to the brim and the blasted thing took about 10 tries to self start. Ran rough for a couple of minutes and then caught and smoothed out after a few minutes. Phew!

Cheers!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
wilkingj

posted on 18/3/12 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
Just done mine. (2.2 TDCI) Easy job. Primed my filter using an outboard motor squeezy bulb tool from Ebay.

Squeezy Fuel Primer Tool
Squeezy Fuel Primer Tool

Started first time and ran with no problems at all.
Remember to cover the alternator with a plastic bag or rags rto stop and diesel dripping into the alternator or fan/drive belt.
I took the suspension top bracket off, and it made it all very accessible.

Genuine filter from Ford was £43. What a rip off. Its a Bosch unit, so look for one of those rather than a Ford Logo'd box.
If the date code is right on mine its still the original filter with 106k on the clock.
If I am reading the date (week-year) code correctly the air filter is 4 years old as well (Could be old stock though).

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.