Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Attn VAG 2.0 TDI PD Owners
zilspeed

posted on 2/9/11 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
Attn VAG 2.0 TDI PD Owners

Ooh, that was a bit specific.

If your car had a BKP engine code, it will have Siemens piezo injectors.

You may not need me to tell you that these have a habit of dying. I understand that the injectors are in the order of £600.

EACH !!

The injector loom has to be replaced as well.

Anyway, here's the good news.

If you have previously had to spend money on replacing defective injectors, VAG are now paying refunds, even if done at an independent.

If your car has had no problems, like mine, your sphincter may still be a little twitchy at the thought of a breakdown followed by having to get it all fixed.
Incidentally, if an injector goes, the ECU instantly shuts the whole plot down. Any time, any place. Complete shutdown of whole engine.

Fear not.

Contact, customer services for you particular marque. They will arrange to get your car into a dealer and check what injectors are fitted. If it's the dodgy ones, they're replacing the injectors and loom free of charge.

This is a recall by any other name, only it isn't a recall.
If you don't ask, you don't get.
If you do ask, they'll do it.
I understand they call this a soft recall.
VOSA are aware of all of this, so you have the weight of the man from the ministry on your side.

Get yourself on the phone to your branch of VAG for two grands worth of free upgrades.
Mine goes in on Tuesday.

This has been a public service announcement etc....

britishtrident

posted on 2/9/11 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
Don't ya just love modern diesels, because of horrific maintenance costs the pendulum has swung firmly back in favour of petrol engines
zilspeed

posted on 2/9/11 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Don't ya just love modern diesels, because of horrific maintenance costs the pendulum has swung firmly back in favour of petrol engines

I know and being a glutton for punishment, I bought a DSG !!

Woohoo !! I can hardly wait on the inevitable explosion.

Having said that, DSG is mega and real world performance is what you might call sufficient.
It's also not difficult to get 55mpg out of it.

Also, being black, it's an undertaker's wet dream.

Anyway, I digress.

SeaBass

posted on 2/9/11 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
Yikes. Are the injectors gold plated?

Good job we opted for a petrol for the missus!

JC

zilspeed

posted on 2/9/11 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SeaBass
Yikes. Are the injectors gold plated?

Good job we opted for a petrol for the missus!

JC

I vividly remember that.
Petrol manual, not diesel auto.
Incidentally I think I like the Q5, it's so much more appropriate than a Q7.

nick205

posted on 2/9/11 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
Useful info!

I've just parted with a 2.0 TDI Passat, but my sister and husband have 2.0 TDI Golf and Passat so will be informed right away.

They were recently bitten by the common 1.6 VAG gearbox problem of riveted crown wheel too so they're extra cautious!

Guinness

posted on 2/9/11 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
How do I find out what my engine code is?

Worried SEAT Leon 2.0 TDi owner, who in the last month has fitted a new turbo, new tyres, smashed the front end up and is 2,000 miles beyond a cambelt change at 80,000.

SeaBass

posted on 2/9/11 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
They were recently bitten by the common 1.6 VAG gearbox problem of riveted crown wheel too so they're extra cautious!

I was about an hour away from buying a Bora with a 1.6 engine and riveted crown wheel DUU box. I was lucky.
I still have the love of VAG though.

[Edited on 2/9/11 by SeaBass]

rusty nuts

posted on 2/9/11 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
Just wait until you get a noise from the timing belt area ! IIRC it was the BKP engines that have a single row chain driving the oil pump and balance shaft assembly, the chain and sprockets wear , the chain and one of the sprockets are no longer available due to a modified oil pump/balance shaft assembly at around the £800 mark plus VAT. If the rear main oil seal leaks thats another £75 plus vat and requires special tools to fit it and time the reluctor ring.
zilspeed

posted on 2/9/11 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guinness
How do I find out what my engine code is?

Worried SEAT Leon 2.0 TDi owner, who in the last month has fitted a new turbo, new tyres, smashed the front end up and is 2,000 miles beyond a cambelt change at 80,000.

Lift out the spare wheel, there's a white sticker inside the wheel well. Take a piccy of it and check the codes inside.
What age is the Leon ?

zilspeed

posted on 2/9/11 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Just wait until you get a noise from the timing belt area ! IIRC it was the BKP engines that have a single row chain driving the oil pump and balance shaft assembly, the chain and sprockets wear , the chain and one of the sprockets are no longer available due to a modified oil pump/balance shaft assembly at around the £800 mark plus VAT. If the rear main oil seal leaks thats another £75 plus vat and requires special tools to fit it and time the reluctor ring.

Mine has a gear driven oil pump, not the chain driven one.
And breath....

Danozeman

posted on 3/9/11 at 06:49 AM Reply With Quote
Beware This isnt ALL injectors. Only cars with injectors in the correct part number range.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

nick205

posted on 10/10/11 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Danozeman
Beware This isnt ALL injectors. Only cars with injectors in the correct part number range.

Any more info on the part number range or likely model year cars?

Just bought a 57 plate Passat 2.0TDI with BKP engine code. After calling VW UK they arranged for it to go into the local dealer and be tested next week. VW gave the "impression" there would be no charge, but dealer says different @ £45 + VAT to test it on their diagnostics machine.

Called VW UK again who were seriously evasive about any charges. They basically said if it's tested and found to have injectors with a specific p/n (i.e. known problem) there will be no charge for the testing. If they're OK then the dealer's charge stands.

Probing further about what happens if the injectors are the specific p/n number the call agent just would not give a straight answer on replacing the parts and the associated costs. In short they said they could not say any more until the dealer had tested the car and spoken directly with them. When I asked for the specific p/n they would not divulge it.

When I said I found them evasive they started going on about not wanting to give customers a false impression and not being able to discuss it any further until the car had been tested.

I'm going to chance it and get it tested anyway, but their attitude sucks so far!

nick205

posted on 18/10/11 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
RESULT!

Took the car in to be tested today and dealer reported "no fault" with the injectors, but confirmed they were the specific Siemens items which are known to fail. Dealer said they had to charge the £45 + VAT for the test as "no fault found" and no good will from VW.

I called VW and had a belly ache to a very helpful guy called Abdul. Adbul duly calls the dealer to discuss in detail and comes back to say no charge for the testing and the dealer is now in the process of replacing all 4 injectors plus loom all to be paid for by VW under their "good will" policy.

Only had the car a few weeks as well!

For anyone else with a VAG 2.0 TDI PD motor I'd say it's worth pursuing VW for a check replacement if affected.

BTW it's not limited to VW, a friend's Audi A3 with the 170ps engine variant suffered an injector failure recently. Car just died on the motorway leaving him to man handle it (with no PAS and no brake servo) over to the hard shoulder. Audi replaced the parts under warranty.

scudderfish

posted on 18/10/11 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
Makes my Fury sound like the paragon of reliability

nick205

posted on 18/10/11 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scudderfish
Makes my Fury sound like the paragon of reliability

Suspect your injectors would be somewhat cheaper too even with twice as many!

Irony

posted on 19/10/11 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
I thought the PD engines were 1.9 and not 2.0. I have a 1.9 TDI PD Golf mk 4, does this topic have any bearing on me? Having said that it's got 136K on the clock so I doubt it's in warranty for anything.
nick205

posted on 15/1/19 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irony
I thought the PD engines were 1.9 and not 2.0. I have a 1.9 TDI PD Golf mk 4, does this topic have any bearing on me? Having said that it's got 136K on the clock so I doubt it's in warranty for anything.

An old thread I realise, but thought I'd add to it anyway and clarify that VAG made 2.0 PD and then CR engines.

McLannahan

posted on 15/1/19 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for bumping this @Nick, I'd forgotten about this thread!

I now have a BKP Passat too and suspect the injectors (I've scanned it with Carista)

Must give VW a call and see if I get anywhere. I'd also considered refurb'ed injectors but if VW are still doing this for free.....Fingers crossed!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.