Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OT - Damaged hub - advice/spotting skills needed
Dangle_kt

posted on 11/3/12 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
OT - Damaged hub - advice/spotting skills needed

I bought a bike trailer the other month off a classified ad, collected it at night, gave it a quick look over, but it was raining, and cheap so didn't hang around. I noticed the hub didnt look right, but they guy said "its just missing the hub cover, they just slip on, but its never bothered me"

It then got dumped in my garage for a fair few weeks, came to look at it last weekend and was pretty shocked by what I found.

The cast hub is completly smashed up, the bearing is barely held in place by what remains, and even that has massive cracks in it.
smashed hub
smashed hub

smashed hub2
smashed hub2

The guy let me drive that thing home in that state!! So please folks - learn from my mistake and check important parts like running gear before taking on the roads!!

Anyway, I basically need to find a replacement - so does anyone recognise the hub? It's a braked one. This is the "good" side

good hub
good hub

and the super rusty back side

back of hub
back of hub

And if no one recognises it - what is the best locost option to sort a replacement? I would imagine it would be safer to do it as a pair?

This is the running gear set up

trailer running gear
trailer running gear

running gear 2
running gear 2

I assume chopping it off at the 90 bend in the axle, weld a replacement stub axle to some box, weld box to axle? That way I'd need complete wheel/hub/stub assembly...or are stub axles standardised, so I can just buy a new hub?

Thanks in advance

P.s. I know its v rusty - it needs some love once fixed up

[Edited on 11/3/12 by Dangle_kt]

owelly

posted on 11/3/12 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
That hub has seen some action! Even the studs and nuts look to have been on an adventure! I would say buy a set of indespension units and a beam to bolt them to. Cheapish at Towsure, Discount Towing or 'Towing and Trailers'. Failing that, scrapyard and tapemeasure to see if you can find a rear axle out of a small car or van to fasten to your springs.
Those hubs look like very old Avon units, possibly off a small sheep or general purpose trailer.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jabs

posted on 12/3/12 at 07:17 AM Reply With Quote
The 'Good' side looks as if it has only 3 wheel nuts and the fourth stud has sheared
MikeRJ

posted on 12/3/12 at 07:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by owelly
Those hubs look like very old Avon units, possibly off a small sheep.

Quite unusual to see sheep with braked hubs

You can get complete braked live axle assemblies that would probably be the simplest way to fix this, though not cheap.

Do you actually need brakes on it? If you you could get an unbraked axle for much less money from the same place in the above link.

There are some braked hubs here, might be worth measuring yours and seeing if you can find a match.

Lots more brake hubs here.

[Edited on 12/3/12 by MikeRJ]

SeaBass

posted on 12/3/12 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
I sold an old bathroom suite on Gumtree. When the chap turned up with his trailer one of the hubs had seized somewhere on the journey and he'd literally dragged it the rest of the way.

I was on the drive - he got out and said - oh I must have got a puncture. I had to convince him that the hub needed freed off or he would have driven away "sanding" his spare wheel against the road. I managed to free it in two minutes and pack the bone dry ball races with grease.

Some people are just inept.

The studs do look in terrible order too as others have mentioned.

JC

Neville Jones

posted on 12/3/12 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
The wheel looks like a Metro or Mini wheel. Maybe a trailer whel supplied by STARCO to most of the trailer mobs. What's the stud pcd?

If the drum/hub is one piece, then most of the trailer companies should have replacements, as they are fairly well standardised.

Cheers,
Nev

rusty nuts

posted on 12/3/12 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
A prize example of why trailers and caravans should have an MOT

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.