Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: any VW experts in the house?
mookaloid

posted on 21/6/12 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
any VW experts in the house?

Well got her a golf re: this thread she says she love me lots and was grinning a lot

Description
Description

it's a MK4 1.6 petrol and on the way home on the motorway the temp guage shot up and it started to flash "STOP check coolant". however on checking there was plenty of antifreeze in the tank and it wasn't even close to overheating - also the gauge dropped to normal very quickly after stopping.

So I set off again on the motorway and once up to speed the guage went up and the messages started again. as before there doesn't seem to be any sign of overheating or coolant loss. the car ran fine.

once back below motorway speeds the gauge read normally all the time.

There is no sign of pressure or frothing in the coolant.

So is it just a temp sender playing up? or has the impeller fallen off the water pump? or something else?

other little jobs I noticed were the Alternator belt looks to be in fairly poor condition, the heated rear window doesn't work and the aircon needs a recharge but otherwise it drives nicely and looks good.

Cheers

Mark

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

BigFaceDave

posted on 21/6/12 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
Vw waterpumps do have a tendancy to get eaten away by antifreeze so in the end your just left with the centre turning but the impellers just fall off! and then usually block the flow of the water!
Wheels244

posted on 21/6/12 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure on the petrol engine, but a common fault on the tdi PD engine, the impellar parts company with the shaft in the water pump. This displays the same symptoms as yours Mark.

This happened on my wifes Seat Alhambra ( VW engine ) - new water pump sorted it.

austin man

posted on 21/6/12 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
good chance the water pump is Fubarred my 1.8 Turbo failed at 63k. I also had the check coolant on occasions after the pump had been changed I found that removing the connection on the header tank and reffitting usually fixed that problem

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

tegwin

posted on 21/6/12 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure which engine they fitted to the 1.6... But as above, water pump..

Or water temp sender... I have replaced the one on my polo every couple of years... starts to send the temp guage nuts and messes with the mixture settings as well causing flooding.... pretty sure they use the same sensor on a lot of similar aged cars.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

pewe

posted on 21/6/12 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
The root cause of the problem is you bought her a VW - now if you'd bought her a SAAB you'd know how to fix it!
Cheeers, Pewe10

mookaloid

posted on 21/6/12 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
so Water pump then - easy job?

mookaloid

posted on 21/6/12 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pewe
The root cause of the problem is you bought her a VW - now if you'd bought her a SAAB you'd know how to fix it!
Cheeers, Pewe10

good point - but she can't afford to insure a 'proper' car

austin man

posted on 21/6/12 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
may as well do the timing belt at the same time mine cost £250 to do inc service and belt and pump

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

Dusty

posted on 22/6/12 at 01:43 AM Reply With Quote
There is also a regular problem with thermostats in some VWs. The ones that live in the plastic housing along with the temperature sender on the bellhousing end of the engine. Mounted on legs off two plastic lugs, the lugs fail and the stat partially blocks coolant flow leading to overheating.
If replacing the waterpump change the cam belt and pulleys at the same time. They're good for 60,000 only.

[Edited on 22/6/12 by Dusty]

stevegough

posted on 22/6/12 at 06:33 AM Reply With Quote
Slightly off topic, but having owned several Passats, park up, turn the steering full lock and stick your nose behind the front wheel - the CV boots are a bugger for splitting regularly.

Never had any trouble with anything else in 6+ years of ownership, and the temp gauges always stayed rock-steady in the centre (90deg as I recall).

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

jacko

posted on 22/6/12 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
You fool Mark you should have got a Vauxhall
Graham

[Edited on 22/6/12 by jacko]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stevegough

posted on 22/6/12 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jacko
You fool Mark you should have got a Vaxhall
Graham

Is this a new make you've invented, Jocko?

Luego Locost C20XE.

owelly

posted on 22/6/12 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
Nah, it's a big room where he stores his branded vaccuum cleaners and carpet shampoo machines.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stevegough

posted on 22/6/12 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by owelly
Nah, it's a big room where he stores his branded vaccuum cleaners and carpet shampoo machines.

Luego Locost C20XE.

nick205

posted on 22/6/12 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
If the aux belt is old, it's likely the cam belt and water pump are old too. I'd plan for a cam belt, tensioner, water pump and aux belt change.

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 22/6/12 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
If its not overheating its more than likely its temp sensor very common on vw group cars as for w/pump rev engine above 2000 rpm if water is going back into expansion tank via small pipe w/pump should be ok hope that helps...
jacko

posted on 22/6/12 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by owelly

ahamOK OK i will give you that one

Owelly
How are you now after reading you are not to well and short in the money pocket after going to the docters?
Graham

mookaloid

posted on 25/6/12 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
Quick update:

The water pump impellor had become disconnected from the shaft as everyone said. I did the timing belt kit and vee belt at the same time and all is now well .........

- apart from I noticed that one spark plug seems to be at on odd angle and I guess is cross threaded (*&%$ing amateur mechanics ) whilst it is running I will leave it alone but at some point I guess it will have to be helicoiled before I can fit a new plug.

It is worth investing in a helicoil kit or is this best left to a professional?

Cheers

Mooky

owelly

posted on 25/6/12 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
@ Jacko, I'm getting better ta very much.
@Mookoloid, if you can find someone who can do the work without taking head off, let them take the responsibilty for it!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.