Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Student seeking information
Lord Teddy

posted on 18/9/12 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
Student seeking information

Good morning chaps, and any ladies we may also have on here.

My name is Jordon but most call me Teddy, I'm currently a Motorsport Engineer student at Myerscough College, Lancashire.

I have recently started my final year of education on the course, and I've been handed a Locost in a bit of a dreary condition.

However, my first task on the car is to change the engine and create a cooling system for the Locost. Currently, it has a 1.6 Zetec engine with a standalone ECU and a larger radiator. I'm not 100% sure where or what the current radiator is from, and nor do I have the slightest clue why the previous students have fitted it!?

It sits a lot lower than the standard nose cone, so again for some bizarre reason, the nose cone was modified to make it larger so that it could cover the radiator and to put it bluntly, it looks naff and is no doubt affecting the aerodynamics of the car.

So the reason I have joined your forum is for your advice to help me make my decisions for my mentioned tasks. The engine that I've been given to replace the old Zetec with ITB's is another Zetec SE 1.6 engine , however this is a box standard one and will be ran on a standard map. So my next task is to source a radiator for the vehicle, something that sits snugly at the front within the dimensions of a STANDARD nose cone, what is it that you guys have used?

I can post pics of the Locost on request.

Thanks in advance guys, any help will be greatly appreciated.

[Edited on 18/9/12 by Lord Teddy]

[Edited on 18/9/12 by Lord Teddy]

redeye

posted on 18/9/12 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
Hi teddy

Welcome to the forum

the radiator most often used is a 1.0 polo radiator

its small and compact and fits under most nose cones

take a look in my photo archive at mine if you like.

good luck

Patrick

Lord Teddy

posted on 18/9/12 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the welcome and more importantly the information Redeye! I will be sure to have a look through your pictures now!

Thanks again bud.

Fatgadget

posted on 18/9/12 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
This thread is missing some pictures!
dhutch

posted on 18/9/12 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by redeyethe radiator most often used is a 1.0 polo radiator
Just be aware there are various versions, core thickness, and inlet/outlet positions. A search of 'polo rad' or 'which radiator' etc on here should reveal the wv part codes as well as supplier contacts. They are not expensive, £20-30 delivered.

As said, we all love photos, and im sure would be able to provide suggestions on further issues.

I presume by Ztec you mean Zetec? and as its a 1.8 persumably actauly a Ford Sigma engine?
What fuel system and intake are you using on the new engine?

Daniel

MikeRJ

posted on 18/9/12 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dhutch
I presume by Ztec you mean Zetec? and as its a 1.8 persumably actauly a Ford Sigma engine?

The Sigma (Zetec SE) comes in 1.25, 1.4, 1.6 and 1.7 (Puma) versions. A 1.8 would be the iron blocked Zetec E.

Teddy, don't worry too much about aerodynamics...a Locost doesn't have any

v8kid

posted on 18/9/12 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Teddy,

As others have said the polo rad works with a zetec but it also works on my 5lV8 so perhaps it is a bit of overkill or perhaps not depending.

I guess it is part of your course to calculate the heat load, duty cycles, recovery time etc to demonstrate undestanding of the principles involved and impress your lecturer to give you better marks .

I guess we would like to see the outcome if that's OK as most of us are too lazy to work it out

Cheers!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
40inches

posted on 18/9/12 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
I used a Clio rad, nice fit and the hose connections are spot on.
Description
Description

NigeEss

posted on 18/9/12 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome to the forum Teddy,

The old addage "pictures tell a 1000 words" is always true.
I would question your plan to use a standard map, this would probably work netter with the standard
manifold which is very tall. Soundslike you have a great start with a stanalone ECU and ITB's, I'd suggest
you use them.

Nige

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

bi22le

posted on 18/9/12 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
Polo rad used here to.

But, if you want to be smart you could lean it forward and duct the hot air up over the top like the R500 and Ultima.

Just a thought, your a Motorsport student so should be able to over kill the design!

Use the search function on here, its knowledge IS limitless!!!

Good luck and show us some pics.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Lord Teddy

posted on 18/9/12 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
I can't thank you guys enough for all your hasty replies, more than helpful and after using the search button and having a read through many different threads and other varies of research it's given me a great insight of what is needed.

And I'm sorry, my error, yes it is a Zetec SE 1.6L engine that is being used!

But I must concur, that after being part of your forum for only a day, I think I may consider buying a kit in the near future and join your community! You all seem like a great bunch and a great community.

I'll be quiet now till next week as I'm away prepping a few others of our cars, but once I get chance and a little more free time, I will share with you some pictures and related information that I'm sure many of you would like to know.

Thanks again and speak soon.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.