Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bec airbox ideas and engine height
Joelove

posted on 1/2/13 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
Bec airbox ideas and engine height

Hi all, having a workout on how to do my airbox for my 1000rr engine.
my plan was to fit this alloy airbox ive got, as you can see from the pics it reduces the height from 780mm down to 680mm.

will this fit in the engine bay ok? how far can the sump sit below the bottom rails?

Also the 1000rr engine has a 2nd fuel rail that sits on the original airbox, so this has got to be incorporated into it some how and also i need filter options, ive got a round flange plate that i can fit on the end to allow a k&n style filter but i think one of the long pipercross filters would be better?

[Edited on 1/2/13 by Joelove]

Twin40

posted on 1/2/13 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
I don't know if it helps (don't know alot about the RR motors) but AB performance do a lovely looking airbox for these. Very nice piece of kit....(latest pics were on FB)

Cheers.

Joelove

posted on 1/2/13 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Twin40
I don't know if it helps (don't know alot about the RR motors) but AB performance do a lovely looking airbox for these. Very nice piece of kit....(latest pics were on FB)

Cheers.

Yeh seen that(and the price ) but doesn't have the 2nd fuel rail fitted? I've yet to of seen a 1000rr custom airbox with the 2nd fuel rail fitted?

phelpsa

posted on 1/2/13 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
These generally seem to be fitted with the standard airbox sticking out of the bonnet. I've heard it said that they are VERY airbox sensitive and the position of the secondary injectors is extremely important, so it's the only real option.

You could do worse than ringing Andy Bates and discussing the options though.

http://www.zipp.co.uk/gall2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=175403&g2_serialNumber=3

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Joelove

posted on 2/2/13 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by phelpsa
These generally seem to be fitted with the standard airbox sticking out of the bonnet. I've heard it said that they are VERY airbox sensitive and the position of the secondary injectors is extremely important, so it's the only real option.

You could do worse than ringing Andy Bates and discussing the options though.

http://www.zipp.co.uk/gall2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=175403&g2_serialNumber=3

Wow now that pic is what I don't want to be aiming towards! Yeh I think the best idea is to ring AB and see what they suggest? Thanks joe

Andy B

posted on 2/2/13 at 11:37 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Joe
Give us a call and I will tell you what I know about these motors, the air box we do does house the second injectors you just can't see it because the rules require us to enclose it within the box
Best regards
Andy

renetom

posted on 3/2/13 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
airbox

Hi
We had a similar problem with our R1 engine
Turned the airbox to face the other way & with
a bulged bonnet it just scraped in.
May work on yours ?
Good luck.

B120WNY

posted on 3/2/13 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
Ive got a Mac1 with a CBR1000 engine in and use the AB Performance sump kit to help reduce the engine height. It saves almost 100mm from standard, and mine is installed so to be level with the lowest part of the chassis, as I dont want it catching anything.

For the air box Ive made a custom aluminium effort which now incorporates the injectors. My first effort was a little too small and restricted without the intake trumpets and therefore it didn't run too well. It used a cone filter at one end and looked a little like this:

After a bit of R&D utilising the old one, cut away with test runs etc Ive come up with a new one which has aluminium intake trumpets at the same distances from the injectors as the standard airbox. Its going to be on the rollers in April time so should have an indication of how it runs but Im confident it will be pretty good if not quite as perfect as the standard box.

Here it is, it has since been fully welded up!

The first effort cost somewhere around £120 in parts and a friend doing the welding. Second time round the whole thing is being fabricated by a local firm and cost £350.

Joelove

posted on 8/2/13 at 07:27 AM Reply With Quote
Does it matter that the top fuel injectors are now further away? Surely this will change things or is this sorted with a power commander?
B120WNY

posted on 10/2/13 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
It didn't seem to matter when I ran it in a similar arrangement during test phase! I was a little unsure whether the bends would work properly, but with the standard trumpets bolted inside, and the injectors just bolted to a frame above them at the correct distance as in the std air box, the car ran fine and revved nicely through the range. All Ive done is box it together, used new aluminium trumpets with a big open air filter. Im confident it will run well when on the rollers. Il'll let you know how it goes soon )

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.