Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Defender - End of an Era
RedAvon

posted on 9/10/13 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
Defender - End of an Era

Sad days but hopefully the new one will look good?

http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/news/end-road-queens-favourite-car-090500508.html

Regards
Ian

Bricoleur

Mr Whippy

posted on 9/10/13 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah but what they don't mention is that "landrovers" are being still produced all over the world by company's who use to licence the design off landrover but now build them cheaper and better than we can except they don't pay landrover any royalties. You can even buy them in the uk only difference is they don't have landrover on the front. There's a white one parks just up the street from me looks quite smart. Most seem to be series 3 Type chassis with a defender body.

The new one will be just a normal 4x4 without the key bolt togeather construction and will end the military market landrover use it have. Last concept replacement car I saw looked a joke designed by someone who didn't know a thing about the orginal car.

[Edited on 9/10/13 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scootz

posted on 9/10/13 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
Hmmm... having driven a Spanish Santana (probably the best known Defender licensee) I can say with some certainty that whilst it may be a cheaper alternative, it's no way a 'better' built vehicle. Quite the opposite - you can see where the money saving went!

The other licensee were built in the middle east and south america, so I doubt if any of them were better either - but I could be wrong... I frequently am!

It's Evolution Baby!

NigeEss

posted on 9/10/13 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RedAvon
Sad days but hopefully the new one will look good?

Sadly not

[img]
[/img]

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

v8kid

posted on 9/10/13 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Yeah but what they don't mention is that "landrovers" are being still produced all over the world by company's who use to licence the design off landrover but now build them cheaper and better than we can except they don't pay landrover any royalties. You can even buy them in the uk only difference is they don't have landrover on the front. There's a white one parks just up the street from me looks quite smart. Most seem to be series 3 Type chassis with a defender body.

The new one will be just a normal 4x4 without the key bolt togeather construction and will end the military market landrover use it have. Last concept replacement car I saw looked a joke designed by someone who didn't know a thing about the orginal car.

[Edited on 9/10/13 by Mr Whippy]

Oh I don't know! Looks OK to me.

The big issue will be quality and reliability. I know the old landrovers could be repaired with a 5lb hammer but the point was you had to - frequently.

New Jag/LR/RR are a different kettle of fish and are selling to a different market. The Freelander/Evoque is a typical example where customers are prepared to pay, handsomely, for that RR badge so the company really don't want to be associated with an old rattle trap Defender.

Some may disagree

Cheers!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Bare

posted on 10/10/13 at 02:02 AM Reply With Quote
My business partner bought a New "defender a few years back for a Horrific price.
Over the next few years it proved as a Complete Garbage product ..2!! engine rebuilds on the crap Buick V8 recycled 'engine',
a new transmission, constant repairs to virtually everything else on the thing and there was perpetual doubt as to whether the effing thing would start.
It was finally sold off for peanuts at 150, 000kms on the odo.
Whatever happens to Rover et al It's Richly deserved... and none too soon.

mcerd1

posted on 16/10/13 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
^^Bare: almost no one over this side of the pond ever bought the V8 versions - nearly all of them here are 2.5l diesels that are crude but work fine (especially the old 200 & 300 TDi ones)

they were never meant to be a car, so if you bought one to drive to the office and back expecting the luxury of a premium brand car then your and idiot...

over here they are most commonly found on farms - in muddy fields, towning livestock and herding cattle, etc... - the work a lot of them do is closer to tractors than cars and thats what they were built for

we've had a 1989 model since the mid 90's and its still going strong (mainly tows big trailers) and my uncles still got one on his farm from about 1985 thats almost never driven on the road

they do need regular maintenance, but if you look after them they just about go forever....

[Edited on 16/10/2013 by mcerd1]

-

adithorp

posted on 16/10/13 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
^^Bare: almost no one over this side of the pond ever bought the V8 versions - nearly all of them here are 2.5l diesels that are crude but work fine (especially the old 200 & 300 TDi ones)

they were never meant to be a car, so if you bought one to drive to the office and back expecting the luxury of a premium brand car then your and idiot...

[Edited on 16/10/2013 by mcerd1]

"Idiot" Thats a bit strong! ...miserable git who never post anything positive or useful about anything ever ....maybe.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.