Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Dry Sump and oil cooler plumbing
GreigM

posted on 20/6/14 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
Dry Sump and oil cooler plumbing

A question on plumbing of oil coolers in conjunction with dry sumps. I've just bought a Caterham (don't hate me!) with a duratec and its on a wet sump. First thing I want to do is put in a dry sump (burst too many engines in the past to chance it).

Currently the car has an oil cooler plumbed on the pressure side. Normal convention would dictate that this is then re-plumbed to be in series with the dry sump tank (i.e. scavenge pump->cooler->tank->engine), but my question is - do I need to do this?

Can I just leave the oil cooler as is with existing hoses/fittings and add the dry sump tank as a stand alone? - not only would it be easier for me to fit initially but will save a fortune in new hoses/fittings and in future I would like to put in a modine/laminova and this would mean I don't need new hoses for the dry sump to do this.

beaver34

posted on 20/6/14 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
yes i have mine like that, i added a dry sump after running an oil cooler which runs of a spin off plate

i have no issues, however mine is only a 2 stage dry sump setup and i retain the stock oil pump

GreigM

posted on 20/6/14 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
Good to hear - I thought that may be the case, as far as my small brain understands so long as the oil pressure and temps look good then it can't do any harm...
daniel mason

posted on 20/6/14 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
On the hayabusa the cooler must be fitted on the return/ scavenge side. That's how mine is and what SBD site says. Is there no fitting guide on SBD site?

GreigM

posted on 20/6/14 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daniel mason
On the hayabusa the cooler must be fitted on the return/ scavenge side. That's how mine is and what SBD site says. Is there no fitting guide on SBD site?

Its a caterham with a duratec, I've updated my profile now

daniel mason

posted on 20/6/14 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
I know it is. SBD do duratec dry sump systems too. Is there no fitting guide on there web site?

daniel mason

posted on 20/6/14 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
It says on there instructions they recommend it goes on the -12 Return line to the oil tank

GreigM

posted on 20/6/14 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
It says on there instructions they recommend it goes on the -12 Return line to the oil tank

Its the raceline sump I'm using. I understand its a recommenation (i.e. this is the optimal way) but I'm trying to figure if there is an inherent danger in having the cooler in parallel.

daniel mason

posted on 20/6/14 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
Is there any particular reason you don't want to run it the optimum way?

GreigM

posted on 20/6/14 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Is there any particular reason you don't want to run it the optimum way?

It requires a new cooler, mountings, filter plate, difficult hose run/spacing, fittings & hoses which may all be in vain as I think the oil will be overcooled in which case I would remove the cooler or change to a modine.

Whereas if I could keep the existing cooler and plumb the dry sump straight in then the switch to no cooler or modine is a lot simpler and I didn't blow several hundred £ on redundant hoses, cooler etc.

02GF74

posted on 20/6/14 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
Max heat transfer between two objects occurs when the temp difference between them is greatest.

That'll mean you hace the cooler at the scav. Pump. Having the cooler gravity fed from the tank will work providing the flow through cooler can match the flow into the tank.

If thr manufact. Say it ok, then who am i to argue,

You have an oil thermosyat in there?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.