Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Updating donor v5
Neilwilson

posted on 1/8/15 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
Updating donor v5

Hi guys, currently my Sierra donor is declared sorn. I plan to use a zetec lump and reading up on IVA rules for keeping the age related plate I believe there is a point system. Just to help my cause for more points, should I update my Sierra v5 with the engine details from the zetec? Has anyone had experiences doing this?
Dick Axtell

posted on 1/8/15 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
This is exactly what I did with my donor, and corresponding V5. Even went so far as to lower the proposed (Xflow) engine into the donor's engine bay, and took a quick photo. Just in case. However, DVLA accepted that fitting a Ford engine into a Ford Capri was perfectly acceptable.

Fitting a Zetec into a Sierra has probably already been done, as an "upgrade", so Swansea should already recognise this V5 change.

Work-in-Progress: Changed to Zetec + T9. Still trying!!

Neilwilson

posted on 1/8/15 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
Great thanks for the info, I have never changed vehicle details on a v5 before, but reading the notes it says just input new/revised details and send away. So do I literally need to just input the engine cc and engine number? Or do I need to start looking at vehicle weight details as well.?
Dick Axtell

posted on 1/8/15 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
Difference in weight between Zetec (presumably black-top, or maybe silvertop?) and old Pinto would be negligible, insofar as the overall vehicle weight is concerned.

So I suggest simple advising DVLA of change in engine number, and cc capacity, if necessary. The only possible objection might be regarding the engine's age. If your Zetec is young enough, a catalyst may have to be fitted to your exhaust system. This applies generally to post-1995 engines (according to previous posts on here).

Work-in-Progress: Changed to Zetec + T9. Still trying!!

gremlin1234

posted on 1/8/15 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
they can get a bit fussy if the tax class would change

from: https://www.gov.uk/change-vehicle-details-registration-certificate/what-evidence-to-give
quote:

Engine number or cylinder capacity (cc)

You’ll need to provide either:
a receipt for the replacement engine
written evidence from the manufacturer
an inspection report provided for insurance purposes
written confirmation on headed paper from a garage (if the change took place before you bought the vehicle)

so you need to send a copy of the receipt for the replacement engine

coozer

posted on 1/8/15 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, I sent my V5 off with the zetec number to replace the 1.6 pinto...

Ive not long since sent off the one for the jeep taking it from 1297cc crossflow to 3997cc V8 no problems. Sent a picture of the V8 engine number along with the amended V5

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

gaz05

posted on 1/8/15 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
I had the car details for the zetec engine I had and just put that on the application and told them I was applying for an age related plate. I also had a dating letter from Ford for the engine. Everything else was from the donor Sierra which was on Sorn. My age related plate was same age as donor.
avagolen

posted on 1/8/15 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
I did similarly to Gaz.

V5 was for the Sierra and the Silvertop Zetec fitted with letter from Ford confirming age of engine (1995)
from the engine number

Age related plate issued and emissions for 1995.

The Answer for everything, but never the last word....

loggyboy

posted on 1/8/15 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
Kit car donor is not point based, you just need 2 major components. So use gearbox, diff and shafts, and steering rack and you have 3 already.

Mistral Motorsport

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.