Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: My other project is a.....
Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 19/2/16 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
My other project is a.....

I thought I would start this thread as I am always interested to see what people are working on and there are lots of people on this site building cars that aren't Locosts and so other members perhaps might not see.

Not necessarily cars either, toys, buildings all sorts of things are interesting to read about and see.

Just to get the ball rolling, my other project is an Alfa Romeo 155 2.0 TS Sport, bought from my old housemate for £300. I always coveted this car when we lived together but after it sat for 2 years in his garage he wanted it gone and I always said I would have it. So far it has cost about £400 to get it MOT'd again, its pretty rust free (certainly for an Alfa) and runs lovely. Apart from the exhaust and wheels its all standard and I have the original 16" grey Speedline wheels for it as well.

I think I'll send it to a bodyshop in the summer as well to be tarted up, clear the little rust spots and repaint a couple of panels.

Its an increasingly rare car so I'm hoping to sit on it for a while as an appreciating asset. Also I don't think my single seater is going to be ready for the start of the sprint season so I think I'm going to run it as a standard road car class sprint car.

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

[Edited on 19/2/16 by Doctor Derek Doctors]

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
nick205

posted on 19/2/16 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
Not my cup of tea an Alfa, but nice to have another distraction!

My other project is the construction of a house and run for some ferrets. SWMBO's not overly keen on me having them, but we have space and our cat has been gone a while now. Used to go rabbiting with ferrets when I was younger and could be persuaded to do so again.

ETA...has to be said as well that woodwork is strangely satisfying to do.

[Edited on 19/2/16 by nick205]

JeffHs

posted on 19/2/16 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
Car's finished, plane's finished, house is finished, so last summer I was looking for something to do. I bought a set of plans for a stitch and glue plywood canoe. Plans cost next to nothing, plywood was lying about from 2 previous projects, so free, (but then I spent a fortune on epoxy). It was very satisfying and the resulting boat is quite attractive. Looking forward to exploring some rivers this spring.
By the way, if like me you've ever struggled to fit a panel/bulkhead in an irregular shaped opening - look up spile stick - a brilliant boat building technique. Here's an example.
http://www.boat-building.org/learn-skills/index.php/en/wood/generating-the-shape-of-a-bulkhead-flagging-off/

sprintB+

posted on 19/2/16 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
I've had to "flag" steel plate for years working in a shipyard. Good to see the old skills still being used and taught. Thanks for bringing it up.
Toprivetguns

posted on 19/2/16 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
I'm quite keen on the V8 Chevy pick up in the background.

Only drive as fast as your angel can fly... !

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 19/2/16 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Toprivetguns
I'm quite keen on the V8 Chevy pick up in the background.

Yeah me too! That's another project, its going to be a carrier for my single seater.

It has taken a long while to find as its quite a rare spec, LWB with the Single Cab and 2.55m (100" Bed (most LWB versions were double cabs) and it has the 6.5l Turbo Diesel V8 so reasonable running costs. It gets about 20mpg on 60:40 Veg Oil to Diesel mix.

CAD mock-up of the carrier position below:

Description
Description

Description
Description

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
CNHSS1

posted on 19/2/16 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
you are certifiable Cal!!

building your own coffin dodgem single seater--tick
modifying 'a reasonably economical??!!' V8 yank truck as a carrier---tick

and now bought an old Alfa---tick, tick, tick

[Edited on 19/2/16 by CNHSS1]

"Racing is life, everything else, before or after, is just waiting"---Steve McQueen

LBMEFM

posted on 19/2/16 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
I'm completing my house and workshop so that I can start restoring my Mk2 Mini. Playing with the MK too of course.
furryeggs

posted on 20/2/16 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
My other project is a 15 month old poo monster who won't sleep, kicks me in the head when she's in our bed, pokes me up the nose when i'm asleep, spits food everywhere, wont play with anything for more than 2 minutes and is to young to teach to weld.

But as projects goes she's a pretty good one and worth all the hassle.

And i'm looking for a 125 KTM/yamaha engine for a bobber/cafe racer project.

mark chandler

posted on 20/2/16 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
This is mine, Curborough a couple of years ago.

[Edited on 20/2/16 by mark chandler]

LBMEFM

posted on 20/2/16 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
That's a beautiful car Mark, I assume you still have it?
mark chandler

posted on 20/2/16 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
It's a keeper, been experimenting with dual rate springs and fiddling with the engine for a few more HP.

This will be its third year of sprinting cannot afford to stuff it as you cannot get the early bodywork, it's no. 71 off the production line.

Purchased 5 years ago now, borrowed some money and £16,000 it was mine, valued 3 months ago at £23,000, they appear to be on a rapid rise now as I could not afford a good one now.

[Edited on 20/2/16 by mark chandler]

russbost

posted on 21/2/16 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
I was thinking of posting a separate build diary & still might if there's any significant interest, but this is what has been keeping me busy of late

[img]
[/img]

It is , I believe, a Lola B02/00 from around 2004 & is purportedly the car raced by Ryan Hunter-Reay in the Herdez livery from around that time. I don't have much definite info on the tub, but it has a CART chassis no. so if anyone is able to throw any light on it I would be most grateful - I have emailed the Lola register but not had a reply

[img] Lola1
Lola1
[/img]

I'm intending to build it up to a rolling chassis stage (will have to make a dummy cradle for the rear suspension as I don't have an engine/gearbox for it!)

[img] Lola2
Lola2
[/img]

& will then sell it as I really don't have the room. I was originally thinking of putting it on the road! But decided it was really going to be too much work plus I would have had to bastardize the carbon tub to fit stuff like handbrake etc.

Lola4
Lola4

It would also be a bit of a problem/expense finding centre lock wheels that would fit & accept road size tyres as the slicks I have for it (as it would have raced on, on the ovals) are absolutely huge, when I put them next to the tyres on my Furore it looks laughable! I don't have the brakes for it either & I dread to imagine what they would cost, plus I don't think they'd be very suitable for road use! I do have a fairly complete set of Dallara bodywork which could be made to fit, but I'm running out of time & enthusiasm, so that will probably go separately. There's some fascinating stuff on it, it has the strain gauges built into the suspension pushrods, presumably for the telemetry.
The tub is surprisingly heavy, but then it is built to withstand impact with a concrete wall at speeds of 200mph plus so I guess it needs to be fairly strong!!!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 21/2/16 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
Some really cool projects, DB7's are just gorgeous.

Russ, was that the Indycar that was on eBay in early 2014? Was advertised with IRL Dallara bodywork from an Andretti?

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

loggyboy

posted on 21/2/16 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
My 'other' project is the Striker. Sadly my attempt to cold Turkey my addiction to hot hatches only lasted the first year or so after starting the Striker. Since I bought the 1st 172 ive spent more time and nearly as much money on the four clio 1*2s ive owned since 2010.

Mistral Motorsport

russbost

posted on 22/2/16 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Derek Doctors
Some really cool projects, DB7's are just gorgeous.

Russ, was that the Indycar that was on eBay in early 2014? Was advertised with IRL Dallara bodywork from an Andretti?

Agreed that DB 7's are gorgeous, albeit a bit Jag looking (or is it the Jag that looks like the Aston?), but sprinting one is definitely sacrilege!

Re the Indycar, I bought it off Ebay sometime around April/May 2014 IIRC, only started tidying it up & putting it all back together a bit b4 Xmas 2015. It has a fairly complete set of Dallara bodywork, don't recall it ever being mentioned that it was from an Andretti though?

At the moment I'm trying to track down some wheelbase & track figures for the car so I can put the rear wheels in the right place, can't find anything from Googling - I believe the wheelbase to be around 3000mm & the front track is 1700mm, I would expect the rear track to be substantially smaller due to the much larger tyre width, but haven't found any figures as yet, also can't establish what the differences were between B02 & B01 cars, & I don't have a chassis plate for the car, the previous owner was fairly vague about its history other than it had been raced by Ryan Hunter-Reay

As already said if anyone knows anything about Lolas, or knows anyone who does then please drop me a u2u or email

It has a Cart decal in the cockpit saying "Cart registered chassis No. 0707"

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 22/2/16 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
I made some enquiries about buying that car Russ, I will send a U2U over.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.