Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: garage workshop build ideas and tips
02GF74

posted on 28/3/17 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pewe
Built-in washroom or Portapotti - always p*sses me off having to go indoors...

Bucket in the corner, this is locost builders after all.

[Edited on 28/3/17 by 02GF74]

Andybarbet

posted on 28/3/17 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
My main storage is a couple of those half height metal office wardrobe cupboard jobbies, great height for a workbench & the top is a 2 metre bit of kitchen worktop from Freecycle.

I've also built a raised sturdy shelf with an offcut of kitchen worktop for my compressor to sit on. It allows me to store the welder, axle stands & trolley jacks underneath it, Just picked up a retractable airline aswell.

My garage is a single with a flat roof, attached to the house so it doesn't really allow me to extend sideways or pitch the roof so clever storage ideas help keep the floor clear, I was just really chuffed to finally have my own garage after many years of renting council ones without power or light.

I also managed to pick up quite a lot of 'Linbins' for parts storage on one section of wall, they were throwing them out at work.

Walls painted with cheap magnolia paint & grey floor paint also thrown out from work, it makes a massive difference to how bright it is now.

Only moved in at the end of 2016 but it has a new garage door, just had the flat roof done in fibreglass so it should last years, next job is a rewire with a decent feed out to it.

Good luck & keep us all updated with your progress.

Give a man a fish & it will feed him for a day, give him a fishing rod & you've saved a fish.

hkp57

posted on 29/3/17 at 02:29 AM Reply With Quote
Electrical friend of mine pointed me in the direction of these for lighting, he swears by them and installs them in show rooms and workshops all the time.

I have a double garage and put three up, huge difference in light quality from standard tubes.

https://www.enviro-lights.co.uk/product/deltech-dl5bt5k50-series-5000-led-batten-60-watt-5ft-5000k-cool-white/

Fleet
SKC Raptor R - Hayabusa
Toyota C-HR Hybrid Limited Edition
Honda VFR1200 CrossTourer
DCT
Marlin Roadster 1800
Mercedes Vito 116 Sport

Nathsx

posted on 29/3/17 at 06:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hkp57
Electrical friend of mine pointed me in the direction of these for lighting, he swears by them and installs them in show rooms and workshops all the time.

I have a double garage and put three up, huge difference in light quality from standard tubes.

https://www.enviro-lights.co.uk/product/deltech-dl5bt5k50-series-5000-led-batten-60-watt-5ft-5000k-cool-white/

These look good can they direct fix onto the ceiling,do you think one or two would be best for a single garage ?

Any pics would be handy to get an idea

[Edited on 29/3/17 by Nathsx]

FuryRebuild

posted on 29/3/17 at 07:20 AM Reply With Quote
And another one - if you have enough space, go for a dirty and clean side. I have a bench on one side for assembly work, and it's relatively clean. I have another bench with grinder, pillar drill, etc. on. It soon accumulates filth.

When all you have is a hammer, everything around you is a nail.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

knight19770

posted on 29/3/17 at 07:37 AM Reply With Quote
I would go with two lights, if you have one in the middle you will end up working in your own shadow and the sides of your car will be shaded. I put three up, 1 each side about in line with the edge of your car and one above my work bench so i was not working in my shadow.
Mr Whippy

posted on 29/3/17 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
I found strip lights mounted vertically on each corner of the wall just above floor level worked really well, they have to have visors on in case of knocks but they lit up the underside of the car really well plus created no shadows. Only needed two lights on the roof to flood the garage. These days LED strip lamps may be even more effective.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
hkp57

posted on 29/3/17 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nathsx

These look good can they direct fix onto the ceiling,do you think one or two would be best for a single garage ?

Any pics would be handy to get an idea

[Edited on 29/3/17 by Nathsx]

I put three up in my double garage and one up in the single garage but it is only storage.

For a single garage / workshop I would fit 2 shorter ones about 18" from each outside wall to avoid the shadows other mentioned..

I dont have pictures and I am away working at the momment

Fleet
SKC Raptor R - Hayabusa
Toyota C-HR Hybrid Limited Edition
Honda VFR1200 CrossTourer
DCT
Marlin Roadster 1800
Mercedes Vito 116 Sport

overdriver

posted on 29/3/17 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
The problem with an up & over door (which I have - but I'd prefer a roller shutter) is that it restricts shelf length as you have to allow for the 'sweep' of the door. You also have to bear in mind that the door in the open position may mask and/or interfere with light fittings etc. If you're stuck with an up & over, I'd strongly recommend putting a brush strip or similar along the bottom as a draught excluder. I made my own from a strip of webbing secured in place by a batten. It dramatically reduced the amount of dust and detritus that got blown in on our windy hill!

Michael

coozer

posted on 29/3/17 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FuryRebuild
And another one - if you have enough space, go for a dirty and clean side. I have a bench on one side for assembly work, and it's relatively clean. I have another bench with grinder, pillar drill, etc. on. It soon accumulates filth.

I moved my dirty business, grinder, vice etc outside under a small lean too to try and keep the garage clean (ish)

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

FuryRebuild

posted on 29/3/17 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
Rubber Floor

Another one I forgot to mention - I bought a lot of rubber tiles from Machine-Mart, and laid them down for a rubber floor. It has a lot of advantages:

• It's a lot warmer
  • If you drop stuff, odds are high it won't break. I've proven this with tea-cups
  • It's much nicer to kneel on
  • Things that may scratch or dent won't if they hit the deck

Disadvantages are:

• When you drop small stuff like bolts, they can ping off into the distance. Not every thing every time, but it happens.
  • If you have heavy things on castors, they take a bit more pushing around
  • I just laid them the first time and they expanded in the summer. Pink grip fixed it
  • People find it weird when you brag about your rubber floor in the pub.

On balance, I'm really glad I did this.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

Nathsx

posted on 29/3/17 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
    quote:
    Another one I forgot to mention - I bought a lot of rubber tiles from Machine-Mart, and laid them down for a rubber floor. It has a lot of advantages:

• It's a lot warmer
  • If you drop stuff, odds are high it won't break. I've proven this with tea-cups

Disadvantages are:

• When you drop small stuff like bolts, they can ping off into the distance. Not every thing every time, but it happens.
  • I just laid them the first time and they expanded in the summer. Pink grip fixed it

• can you jack/axle stands on the machine mart ones? ive seen a few that are more foam like than plastic polymer

FuryRebuild

posted on 29/3/17 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
    They're a plastic rubber foam sort of thing. I've got a pair of scissor lifts on them, with my car up on the lifts, and they've deformed a bit. They spring back from some light jacking. Even if I end up with a dent or 7 I don't care because the benefits are great. I'm drinking gin now.

quote:
    Originally posted by Nathsx
    quote:

• It's a lot warmer

Disadvantages are:

• can you jack/axle stands on the machine mart ones? ive seen a few that are more foam like than plastic polymer

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

nick205

posted on 30/3/17 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
    quote:

• It's a lot warmer

Disadvantages are:

• Good call!

Search online for McLaren factory floor - it's clean enough to eat from!

mcerd1

posted on 30/3/17 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
    quote:
    .....I bought a lot of rubber tiles....

I had no money left for these, but what I did have was a load of decent sized carpet and underlay off-cuts
    not enough to cover the whole floor, but enough to put a good sized bit under the area I'm working on
    obviously you get many of the same pro's as the rubber tiles with a few others too:

*small things like bolts tend not to bounce off making them easier to find

*they tend to catch dust too - so less of it blowing around the rest of the garage (and all you need is a hoover for the carpet)

*you can always roll up any parts of it quickly to allow you to use jacks, roll things on castors, to get it out the way for welding etc (you don't want to set fire to it after all) or even just to take it outside and knock the worst of the dust out of it....

*and best of all you can get old carpet for free

[Edited on 30/3/2017 by mcerd1]

-

Nathsx

posted on 2/4/17 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
    Lighting was a good shout, some difference!!

May need to invest in more!

Should be nice and bright once painting is complete

<<  1    2  >>
    New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
    Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
    the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
    Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
    Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.