Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: VW Touran 1.9 TDI S - rear speakers?
nick205

posted on 3/4/17 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
VW Touran 1.9 TDI S - rear speakers?

Morning all,

We have a 2007 VW Touran 1.9 TDI S with an RCD 300 stereo. It only has front speakers (as per VW spec), but has holes and grilles in the rear doors for speakers. Yesterday I pulled the RCD300 head unit to look at the rear connectors. I wanted to check whether it had wires fitted for rear speakers as the speakers would be easy enough to fit. Fitting the wiring between the rear doors and the head unit however would be a real ball-ache to do.

What do people make of this - wires already there or not?

Do I need to remove the rear door inner panels and look further?

Thanks,
Nick

ETA...I'm guessing it's pins 1, 4, 5 & 8 of the sandy coloured connector which need wiring in. If needed I can do it, but feeding the wires through the car into the rear doors might be hard work!

[Edited on 3/4/17 by nick205]

gremlin1234

posted on 3/4/17 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
I think you are going to have to look inside the rear doors, to see if the wiring is there, but as it doesn't appear to be at the back of the radio, I doubt its there.
you may find this document, especially pages 28 et seq, helpful/interesting
http://www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/ssp/SSP_342.pdf

and for the pin assignments see
http://www.my-gti.com/1336

nick205

posted on 3/4/17 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
Thank you - will take a look through the links.

As you say I assume from the lack of wiring at the head unit end that the wires to the rear doors are not there! Sure it may be a few pence cheaper, but it seems hard work to me to have a different wiring loom for different model vehicles. Then again I'm not VW and maybe there's deeper reasoning behind it!

obfripper

posted on 3/4/17 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
Have you removed the quadlock connector from the head unit?
Some head units come with 8 speaker output pins, some only with 4.
Some head units also use a separate amplifier, and can have solely amp output or a mix of amp and headunit outputs.
If you've only 4 pins a replacement headunit will be required to progress further with speaker level outputs.
If there is 8 pins present, the headunit needs recoding to give you fader controls in the menu, this should be coding byte2 change from 02 to 04.

You'll need to wire from the head unit to each b pillar connector, with the appropriate repair ends on each wire.
The same will be needed to be done to the door wiring loom, it will need to be removed, untaped and a pair of speaker wires added in.
You could order a higher model door loom, but it's £100+ per loom so not economical unless you're having other door wiring issues(locking faults, window operation faults).

Have a look here for visual id for the repair wire ends (this is something that is not easy from the vw epc, i usually id any wires i need before ordering from tps to ensure the correct wires are sent).

http://www.passatplus.de/umbauteile/stecker/stecker.htm
http://www.passatplus.de/umbauteile/stecker/stecker5.htm

The appropriate connector for oem speakers will be in the first link.
If you use oem speakers, there will be a second connector which is a filtered tweeter output to go to a tweeter next to the door handle.

Dave

nick205

posted on 3/4/17 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Dave - some more info to take a look through - all good.

As it happens both rear door locks have been replaced due to non-opening rear doors. That having been done there's little no other reason to get inside the doors. Not afraid of wiring itself, just making a neat and tidy job of getting the wires from the head unit to the speakers - carpet up, trim off etc.

I'll have the stereo out again and take a look behind the connector to see what pins are there.

nick205

posted on 3/4/17 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
Quick update...

Local VW dealer just called me back. They don't know if the RCD300 can run rear speakers and they'd have to fit additional wiring between the RCD300 and rear doors as well. Then went on to mention a possible £1,500 charge for the parts and labour. I ended the call there as it's really not that important and I'm really not going to be spending anything like that on the job.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.