Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rover K series head gasket failure?
zetec

posted on 15/7/17 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
Rover K series head gasket failure?

I always come to this forum for real world advice rather than just repeats of other forums views...so here goes.

My son is looking to by an early 2003 Lotus Elise 111S.

It's done about 54K miles and looks in good condition in general. Had it all booked into a local Lotus garage for an inspection as we are buying it privately...all sensible stuff. But now he is concerned about the chance of a head gasket failure, if it is on the way out then that's easy-ish to spot. What we are wondering is how many K series engines in the Elise/MGF really do blow head gaskets? Looking at a few sites it looks as if post 2001 Rover started to address the issue with steel locating pins and different gaskets which reduced the issue...

Are we really looking at a "yes it will blow anytime" or "Later models had the issue resolved"...?

Looking on the SELOC site there is a mixed bag of answers with some doom and gloom and others with 100K and no issues.

" I only registered to look at the pictures, now I'm stuck with this username for the rest of my life!"

coyoteboy

posted on 15/7/17 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
IIRC (I did a lot of reading at the time, but never owned one) Rover screwed up the cooling system design causing thermal shock and CTE issues, Lotus didn't.

britishtrident

posted on 15/7/17 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
There was an enormous load of rubbish posted on the net about this engines Rover made a few hanful of minor errors that added up and a resulted in string of head gasket failures. Head gasket replacement on these engines is not the huge job altough some garages make it expensive by using more parts than required.

The original cylinder gasket was a novel design that basically flawed it only stated giving problems when engine block design eas changed around 1992. The cylinder head gasket fitted to the version of the engine now produced in China is a complete redesign and provided the cylinder liner heights are within limits it is a bullet proof fix.

There are some other minor mods that need to be applied --- fitting a Land-Rover TD5 thermostat and making sure a new specification cinlet manifold gasket is fitted and a minor unoficial mod to the cooling system bleed venting.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

wylliezx9r

posted on 16/7/17 at 12:27 AM Reply With Quote
Buy a VX220........but I am biased

Vauxhall VX220 Supercharged, 230bhp,65K miles,HPI clear (similar to Lotus Elise)

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

zetec

posted on 16/7/17 at 06:42 AM Reply With Quote
The problem is when you are 17 it has to be a LOTUS...😍

" I only registered to look at the pictures, now I'm stuck with this username for the rest of my life!"

britishtrident

posted on 16/7/17 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
One thing to point out is the cam belt interval is either at 48k or 60k ---depending on the year the engine was built -- the design of the tensioner and width of the belt changed. At 2003 it should be the later spec and be EU3 and have OBDII diagnostics.

Having OBDII diagnostics is a big plus.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

coyoteboy

posted on 17/7/17 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
When I was 17 it couldn't be anything but a Peugeot 205 GL because the insurance, purchase cost and running costs were outside my pocket and I was liable to kill myself in anything else. Lucky kid!

b14wrc

posted on 19/7/17 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
Hey,

I did a lot of research before I bought my S1 a couple of years ago. Mine was a 99' model with around 90k miles on it.

I never had any Head gasket issues. To be honest in the two years I owned the car (only sold as I bought a brand new Toyota GT86 as I was expecting my first child) I never had any issues.

Bits are so cheap fo the K series I'd take the chance and replace the engine if needed later. You could always swap it for a Honda motor! Later engines had better head gaskets and as long as servicing has been carried out regularly I'd say the higher miles wouldn't be a problem. I did the cam belt and tensioner myself, it isn't as hard as you think. They are good cars to work on.

If your son is looking to get an Elise, I'd say go for it. I loved mine and even though I sold mine for a profit, prices are going up, so it should be a good investment. Going to have to wait a while before I make money on my 86 lol.

Rob

20vt powered rear engined locost

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.