Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: anyone passed iva with this type of headlight
chris_smith

posted on 20/8/17 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
anyone passed iva with this type of headlight

as title has anyone passed IVA with this type of head light?

Kit Car Robin Hood Locost Black LED Head Lights With DRL Side Light & Indicator

The secret of success is to know something nobody else knows."

CosKev3

posted on 20/8/17 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
Presume they must be a flat beam output as it states 'right or left hand drive'?

Does a flat beam pass IVA,I can't remember!

craigdiver

posted on 20/8/17 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
I do like the look of them, anybody shed some light (excuse the pun) on whether these will be IVA/MOT friendly?

If it ain't broken, fix it anyway (just because).

Building - BMW powered Haynes Roadster/442E hybrid.

Volvo C30 T5 Polestar

WesBrooks

posted on 21/8/17 at 06:27 AM Reply With Quote
LED headlights can be emarked the same as halogens, or in the same category as HID lights. Depends on the output and intensity I think. Regardsless if the light is e marked in the same catagory as HID I think it is near impossible to get it on a kit car as it needs either levelling headlights or suspension. I'm waiting for some LED lights e marked in the same catagory as normal halogens with heated screens so I can still see in freezing or snowy conditions!

http://doctrucker.wordpress.com

alfas

posted on 21/8/17 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
those lights will most likely blind other motorists....hence they should be not ftted.....i also doubt that they are legal
WesBrooks

posted on 22/8/17 at 06:29 AM Reply With Quote
Here's a good guide to e-marking. All the emark means that is shown on that head light is that it is tested and probably made in Spain! The SAE DOT means that it is approved/compliant for use on roads in the US. There needs to be CR, C/R, HCR, or HC/R before the E[number] on the lens for an easy ride through the IVA test. If it's DCR or DC/R then it's an LED light that falls under the same regulations as the HID lights and would need some form of levelling - although the levelling electronics that I've seen on ebay would result in you lights shone into the tarmac when going uphill!

Yeah, DCR & DC/R lights are bright, but bet many complained when cars went from 6v to 12V, tungsten to halogen... I do however hate the crappy after market HID kits with no levelling. The people going one step further still and running bulb only conversions are being selfish, stupid, and or ignorant.

Edit: When there is a slash in the emark code (eg HC/R) the unit is not designed to have the high and low beams running at the same time.

[Edited on 22/8/17 by WesBrooks]

WesBrooks

posted on 22/8/17 at 06:45 AM Reply With Quote
In a nut shell I would stay well clear of those lights. There is also no direction indicator on the e-marking pictured to state suitability for LHD/RHD, or both (no arrow usually means LHD) and incomplete marking to identify the purpose of the light.

Without asking the seller for a full e-marking (which may be on the rear of the unit) I would stay well clear. While the seller may be selling these in good faith of the information his supplier gave him on the strength of the information provided so far it is tending to suggest those are not legal for use on UK roads.

Here is an example of an LED headlight marked HCR and with low beam suitable for UK roads.

loggyboy

posted on 22/8/17 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
Firstly A Flat beam pattern is acceptable for both IVA and Mot.

For MoT LED/HID dont need any self leveling or washers, so its ok to retro install them.

Ignoring the E mark issues above, they still fall foul of IVA. For both needing self levelling and washers.

Gas Discharge and LED Headlamps
9. Must be accompanied by evidence of compliance with the technical requirements if not compliant with the following:
- is "E" or "e" marked
- dipped beam remains on when main beam is on (gas discharge only)
- is fitted with a wash system (see Notes 2 and 4)
- is fitted with an automatic headlamp self levelling system or self levelling suspension (see Note 3)

Note 3: Where vehicles are fitted with Gas Discharge or LED Headlamps, the requirement for automatic headlamp self-levelling system or self-levelling suspension shall be deemed to be complied with where evidence is provided at application stage that the vehicle meets the requirements of 6.2.6.1.2 of ECE Regulation 48.03 in all loading conditions.

Note 4: Where vehicles are fitted with Gas Discharge or LED Headlamps there is no requirement for headlamp cleaning if the light output is below 2000 Lumens (evidence must be provided).
Align the headlamp aim testing equipment to the vehicle in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions (In instances where it is not possible to conform to this guidance due to characteristics of the vehicle under test, examiners should position the headlamp tester as close as practicable to the headlamp under test). Check the alignment of each dipped beam headlamp in association with the appropriate criteria.
Headlamps producing a flat dip beam are acceptable, and will not have to meet the aim criteria for “break point”.

[Edited on 22-8-17 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

WesBrooks

posted on 22/8/17 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
For MoT LED/HID dont need any self leveling or washers, so its ok to retro install them.

But your vehicle would fail a road side test? The MOT is after all not intended to verify the legality of modifications.

I was under the impression they were tightening up the system to outlaw the retrofitting of the DCR & DC/R category lights.

loggyboy

posted on 22/8/17 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by WesBrooks
But your vehicle would fail a road side test? The MOT is after all not intended to verify the legality of modifications.

I was under the impression they were tightening up the system to outlaw the retrofitting of the DCR & DC/R category lights.

Assuming your talking C&U. Yes, technically, but who ever gets pulled for that!? Private cars are largely over looked by VOSA, they generally only care about lorries.
99% of cars on the road would fall foul of something in C&U. There are parts of the MoT that directly contradict both C&U and IVA, so going to the exact letter of the law is near impossible.

Mistral Motorsport

WesBrooks

posted on 22/8/17 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
This link explains the situation well.

As a post IVA mod a full HID system could be used with washers and a levelling system. Less than that (I realise there are a few type approved cars with no self levelling system for the units or the car) and you are in a real grey area. General curtsy to other road users would be to avoid HID and similar DCR or DC/R conversions unless you had the automatic levelling system in place.

WesBrooks

posted on 22/8/17 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
...however... I guess from a pure technical standpoint if you have designed a suspension system with negligible movement when fully loaded and under constant acceleration then I guess the concerns around the need for levelling are reduced.

I'm not sure how active the type approved solutions are in actual use anyway. On a range rover with self levelling suspension then I'd suspect this is very slow, but levelling in the units may be quick enough to respond to accelerations and hills. Obviously nothing stops you from dasaling people as you crest a hill.

Edit: I'll add an apology for pulling this off topic - sorry! No more HID mod bashing from me unless asked direct, promise! As a high ish mileage non-commercial driver this hit on a raw nerve! ;-)

alfas

posted on 26/8/17 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
Firstly A Flat beam pattern is acceptable for both IVA and Mot.

Ignoring the E mark issues above, they still fall foul of IVA. For both needing self levelling and washers.

Gas Discharge and LED Headlamps
9. Must be accompanied by evidence of compliance with the technical requirements if not compliant with the following:
- is "E" or "e" marked
- dipped beam remains on when main beam is on (gas discharge only)
- is fitted with a wash system (see Notes 2 and 4)
- is fitted with an automatic headlamp self levelling system or self levelling suspension (see Note 3)

Note 3: Where vehicles are fitted with Gas Discharge or LED Headlamps, the requirement for automatic headlamp self-levelling system or self-levelling suspension shall be deemed to be complied with where evidence is provided at application stage that the vehicle meets the requirements of 6.2.6.1.2 of ECE Regulation 48.03 in all loading conditions.

Note 4: Where vehicles are fitted with Gas Discharge or LED Headlamps there is no requirement for headlamp cleaning if the light output is below 2000 Lumens (evidence must be provided).
Align the headlamp aim testing equipment to the vehicle in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions (In instances where it is not possible to conform to this guidance due to characteristics of the vehicle under test, examiners should position the headlamp tester as close as practicable to the headlamp under test). Check the alignment of each dipped beam headlamp in association with the appropriate criteria.
Headlamps producing a flat dip beam are acceptable, and will not have to meet the aim criteria for “break point”.

[Edited on 22-8-17 by loggyboy]

the mentioned advert says 6000lumen, so a washng system is mandatory

the self leveling migt be dis-regarded in terms of a kitcar with very low suspnesion travel. but it needs to be proved by tests and offically apprived and certified documentation
otherwise everybody could say "hey, my suspension has no travel, now i can fit HID lights". and print out a self-wirtten prove.

fact is...most of those cheapish aftermarket HID / LED lights are "bright" in terms of blinding other motorists, but the beam is not really a "qantum leap" ...and imo they should be banned for sale.

if you plan to travel to germany./austira / switzerland..better dont do it with that car...police might stop you....lots of british car owners get stopped when driving near / around Nürburgring area as their modifications arent according to the law (even the car might have passed the MOT like this in UK a few days ago)

jester
Contributor

Posts 169
Registered 21/5/17

Photo Archive Go!
Building: brought Jester.building a Jester own a Striker

posted on 26/8/17 at 11:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by WesBrooks
...however... I guess from a pure technical standpoint if you have designed a suspension system with negligible movement when fully loaded and under constant acceleration then I guess the concerns around the need for levelling are reduced.

I'm not sure how active the type approved solutions are in actual use anyway. On a range rover with self levelling suspension then I'd suspect this is very slow, but levelling in the units may be quick enough to respond to accelerations and hills. Obviously nothing stops you from dasaling people as you crest a hill.

Edit: I'll add an apology for pulling this off topic - sorry! No more HID mod bashing from me unless asked direct, promise! As a high ish mileage non-commercial driver this hit on a raw nerve! ;-)

Thats why I get dazzed some time's when I drive late at night Not a lot of good then They should all go back to the horse and cart then Lol.....

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.