Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tax thieves
geoff shep

posted on 7/2/18 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
Tax thieves

I know this has come up before, but I have just fallen foul of another tax gotcha.

I always knew that DVLA got 2 months of tax when a car was sold - ie you have paid for the current month and the new owner also has to pay for the current month, but I have just lost the next month too!

Sold the car on 31 January but DVLA say that, as they didn't get notification until February, my refund is only from 1 March. So it doesn't matter what date you put on the transfer slip, if DVLA don't get it until the next month, they keep another month's worth of tax.

So I advise that you inform DVLA of the sale or transfer using the online system and do it on the day of sale.

tims31

posted on 7/2/18 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, best to do it online. I pay by monthly DD and so if I am selling the car and know at the start of the month you can just cancel the DD as soon as payment has been taken for that month that way it stops them grabbing more money

Build: http://www.martinsfurybuild.co.uk/

loggyboy

posted on 7/2/18 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
Sorn before you sell or notify sale online (in office hours). Its all instant then.

Mistral Motorsport

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.