Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: I'm an idiot....
mcerd1

posted on 14/2/18 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
I'm an idiot....

over the last few years I've been making very slow progress on the car (in between all the usual excuses of having 2 kids, getting married and the house etc....)

but recently I've been tying to push on and get the engine finished so that I can drop it into the chassis for a trial fit and finalise some of the panels and odds and sods that will need to fit around it and the gearbox.

but then last week I suddenly realised that I had 2 spare engine blocks (effectively scrap) that have been sitting out in the shed since the year before I started this car - perfect for a dummy build, yet I never even though of doing that for years...
Even watching things like project binky using scrap blocks for exactly this reason didn't make me think of it

Scrap pinto block
Scrap pinto block
Dummy engine + box setup
Dummy engine + box setup
dummy engine in
dummy engine in
Gearbox in
Gearbox in

-

nick205

posted on 14/2/18 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
Don't knock yourself for it!

Find a local scrappy, weigh the scrap blocks in a for a few quid, get a cold beer and focus on the next job

roadrunner

posted on 14/2/18 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome to the club😁
russbost

posted on 14/2/18 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
The man who has never made a mistake has never made anything ................

I've made 1000's, the important thing is how you put them right!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
40inches

posted on 14/2/18 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by russbost

And learning from them!

nick205

posted on 14/2/18 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by russbost

Well said - for me most learning comes from realising you've done it wrong and doing it better next time!

r1_pete

posted on 14/2/18 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
Leaving blocks to ‘age’ like that actually improves them, as they rust the internal stresses reduce resulting in a stronger block.

BMW used to do this whith their blocks destined for racing, there was a story they used to store them behind the workshop and encourage workers to waz on them to speed up the process...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mcerd1

posted on 14/2/18 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete
Leaving blocks to ‘age’ like that actually improves them, as they rust the internal stresses reduce resulting in a stronger block.

BMW used to do this whith their blocks destined for racing, there was a story they used to store them behind the workshop and encourage workers to waz on them to speed up the process...

In that case anyone want a couple of 'matured' 20 pinto blocks

[Edited on 14/2/2018 by mcerd1]

-

steve m

posted on 14/2/18 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
"In that case anyone want a couple of 'matured' 20 pinto blocks "

try the boat yards, they seem to like Pinto's more than we do

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.