Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Coolant pipe hard to soft connectors
ChrisW

posted on 6/3/18 at 12:52 AM Reply With Quote
Coolant pipe hard to soft connectors

Anyone come across one of these connectors leaking before? As you can see, mine is (on the Jeep)....

Coolant line
Coolant line

Can the connectors be replaced/re-sealed 'in situ' or does the whole line need to be replaced?

(Note the jubilee clip is where the LPG system has been T'd in, nothing to do with what I am asking about)

Thanks, Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
melly-g

posted on 6/3/18 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
That looks more like a hydraulic fitting!
Can the end be removed then just normal jubilee type clamp used in its place?

CosKev3

posted on 6/3/18 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
As above that's a swaged fitting,so it's been pressed to seal with a few tons of press.

If it's a massive job to replace the pipe I have seen people bodge them by cutting them out,then as above use a piece of rubber pipe with hose clips.
Hardest part doing that will be flaring the end of the steel pipe to stop the rubber one sliding off,couple of small blobs of weld will work if the pipes thick enough

40inches

posted on 6/3/18 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
Hardest part doing that will be flaring the end of the steel pipe to stop the rubber one sliding off,couple of small blobs of weld will work if the pipes thick enough

The pipe will have 2 flares on already. One the normal flare on the end plus a smaller flare that acts as a stop for the flexi.
I would push a new piece of flexy over both flares and use 2 hose clips, one either side of the second flare

[Edited on 6-3-18 by 40inches]

CosKev3

posted on 6/3/18 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3

The pipe will have 2 flares on already. One the normal flare on the end plus a smaller flare that acts as a stop for the flexi.
I would push a new piece of flexy over both flares and use 2 hose clips, one either side of the second flare

That depends if he can can remove the swage part without damaging them

Just cut straight threw the pipe about a cm away from the swage end is the easiest, and gives you a longer piece of rubber pipe to work with

Mr Whippy

posted on 6/3/18 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
what's in the pipes and leaking out? looks more to do with the aircon or heater
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Andybarbet

posted on 6/3/18 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
I'm a hydraulic fitter. They look like crimped ferrules to me which is unusual on a solid pipe.

You could cut the ferruled end off the solid pipe & fit a compression fitting with a barbed hosetail in its place if I am understanding correctly ?

If you can give me the outer diameter of the metal pipe & the inner diameter off the hose I might possibly be able to sort something out.

Give a man a fish & it will feed him for a day, give him a fishing rod & you've saved a fish.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.