Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Contemplating the purchase of a small car for my wife to use.
David Jenkins

posted on 4/11/18 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nero1701
7's are fairly small.....great aircon...

smartarse...

Slimy38

posted on 4/11/18 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
OK - lots of very good suggestions here. I now have a good list of cars to consider.

Now, how about the cars to avoid at all costs? Bad because of unreliability, high maintenance costs, and so on?

When we were looking it wasn't necessarily the type of car to avoid, more the severe shortage of small cars that were in decent condition. Low miles, poor maintenance and parking panel damage meant we really struggled to find one.

Far too many cars had three years or more between services, due to the owners thinking a service should only be based on mileage not time. Tyres that had been there since they were fitted at the factory, still legal but so cracked that I'd not want to be driving on them. I swear I lifted the bonnet on a couple and the engine said 'please drive me properly, I'm strangled here'. Clutches that were bordering on failure after a few thousand miles.

And unfortunately because of 'low mileage' a lot of these cars were massively overpriced. Why is low mileage considered so valuable?

David Jenkins

posted on 4/11/18 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
Fair comment.

David Jenkins

posted on 4/11/18 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
At the moment we're considering a 2013 Kia Picanto 1.0 and a 2013 Hyundai i10 1.2 - both in good nick, and both with what I call 'medium mileage' - not stupidly low, but well below 10k/year. I'm drifting towards the i10 myself, as I've driven one recently and was quite content with the way it behaved.

I'm off for a couple of test drives tomorrow, hopefully.

Simon

posted on 4/11/18 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
We (me and brothers) got (well, paid the deposit) on a new Kia Picanto 2 in Dec 2015 and it's been fab. It's quite small but I find it very comfy (being 6' and 18 stone). It's not going to set the world alight but that's not the point of it and with a 7 year warranty will probably outlast her will to carry on driving (she's 80). Our eldest son has just been put on as a named driver having passed his test three weeks ago and with Hasting Direct (tracked thingy) cost £1200 on insurance (she was paying £550 a year anyway!!!!)
Mr Whippy

posted on 5/11/18 at 07:13 AM Reply With Quote
First thing I'd do is have a look at the crash tests on YouTube many small & popular cars do pathetic, I picked the Fiesta watching those. The more modern versions are even better. Budget cars are great but dying in the process less so. Saying that I'd still not get my wife one for running the kids about and she can just stick with the big Volvo.

I mind a crash outside my house, it was a new Fiat 500 which had run into the back of a turning car, seriously just looked a minor shunt but amazingly the next thing the fire brigade are cutting the roof off! Seems even that little bash had pushed the steering wheel down on her trapping her legs in the car, scary.

[Edited on 5/11/18 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 5/11/18 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
AAAARGH!

Sorry, needed to let that out.

Went to look at the Picanto today... first of all, the salesman didn't seem to be too bothered to get off his backside and sell me anything. Then he said things that contradicted what another salesman had told us yesterday ("One owner. He's a regular customer. Traded in this one to buy another" - total BS). Turns out it's had 2 owners, the service history doesn't bear too much scrutiny, and the car needed a decent valet before trying to sell it (IMHO).

In the end, the whole thing just seemed too iffy and I walked away. As someone who had considered buying a Kia in the future, I shan't be visiting that dealership again.

I really hate buying cars...

Mr Whippy

posted on 6/11/18 at 06:49 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah I'd give that one a miss. You can do full checks on the cars MOT history through the DVLA. Anything dodgy I'd just walk away as there are load of small cars to choose from and just pick the best you can afford.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 6/11/18 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GaryM
Toyota Aygo/Citroen C1/Peugeot 107 (all the same car). Just bought a 4 year old one for our daughter to learn in and have been very impressed.

A car hire company tried to give us a Peugeot 107 hire car before. Beware that they only have 2 seat belts on the rear seat so only carry 4 people (including the driver). As a family of 5 (3kids) this simply didn't work for us!

Having made a point of booking a car for 5 people we refused the car and made them give us another one (Fiat Punto).

Mr Whippy

posted on 6/11/18 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
three stars for a 2018 car...that's pathetic. Basically it's going to crush your legs in a crash...

Global NCAP: Kia Picanto Crash Test 2018. The Picanto achieved a three-star rating for adult occupant protection in the frontal crash test at 64km/h. The vehicle structure was rated as stable while the footwell area was rated as unstable.

David Jenkins

posted on 6/11/18 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
Strange - the 2013 version got 4-and-a-bit stars when I looked it up the other day. Unusual to go backwards in the ratings...

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.