Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mazda MX5 Mk 3 Anybody Own or Had One ?
perksy

posted on 15/11/19 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
Mazda MX5 Mk 3 Anybody Own or Had One ?

Just wandering if there's anybody on here that either owns or has owned a Mazda MX5 Mk 3 version?

Mrs P and I tried a Mini Cooper convertible (2017 plate) today and I didn't really take to it i'm afraid, The gear selection felt a bit 'notchy' and it just didn't gel i'm afraid

Upshot of this is an Mx5 is next on the list to try with the bonus of one being a lot cheaper

BUT just wandered if anybody has/had one and your thoughts ??

Thanks

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 15/11/19 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
Yes I’ve had one great cars best value 2 seater convertible you can buy fantastic car to drive go for a 2.0 ltr will not disappoint I had a 2.0 ltr se with aircon option very reliable and fun to drive .
PorkChop

posted on 16/11/19 at 01:25 AM Reply With Quote
I've got a mark 3 (and love it), I prefer them to the earlier MX5s because I can actually fit in it comfortably. When I tried a mark 3 for the first time, my left foot kept on hitting the foot rest when putting the clutch in (although that might be partly due to having size 12/13 feet) but that sorted itself out fairly quickly.

They're pretty good straight out of the box, they do need decent tyres and it would be worth getting an alignment done on it as a dodgy one will quickly ruin the car.

All the 2 litre cars came with a LSD, I personally wouldn't bother with a 1.8. The 2 litre has enough power to be entertaining on B roads

I get about 36mpg in my 2 litre.

They will still rust; rear sills, suspension. The ally bootlid corrodes around the number plate lights.

They are notorious for getting bad crank bearings as soon as the engine oil is run low. Replacement engines are not cheap (think £1k+ for a decent one). Mark 3.5/3.75 engines are said to be better. Some fit the 2.5 litre Duratec instead.

If it has a removable hardtop, these are worth much more than the Mk 1/2/2.5 hardtops and are much rarer.

It will probably look like a 4x4 on original springs. If it's excessively high and the ride feels crashy, then it's possible that the wishbone bolts have been torqued up with the car still in the air and has preloaded the suspension. Final torquing needs to be done with the suspension compressed as it is when sat on its wheels.

Mine has been (touch wood) very reliable during the 50,000 miles I've had it. Aside from wear and tear items, I think all I've done extra is rebuild the front brake calipers, replace a couple of coil springs and the exhaust centre section.

macc man

posted on 16/11/19 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
I have owned both the Mk 1 MX5 and now have a Mk 3 1.8. For fun I would say the Mk1 was better however it needed a lot of work to keep it on the road especially brakes. For the money you will struggle to find a better roadster. If I change it I would try the Mk4 as it has lots of good reports. As said, check for rust and clean the hood drain tubes regularly to stop wet carpets. Overall a good reliable car.
perksy

posted on 17/11/19 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for your comments

Nothing better than asking those who have experience of owning one

Think we'll find a local one and go and give it a try

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 17/11/19 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
You won’t be disappointed

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.