Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Paint Issues
myke pocock

posted on 24/12/19 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
Paint Issues

I have an 07 plate MX5 i bought just over a year ago. Up to now I have had no paint issues but I have just noticed that a couple of areas have come out in what I can best describe as a series of small pimples. They do vary slightly in size. The p[aint finish in those areas was perfect up untikl recently and I had no cause to think that any repainting had taken place but I wonder if there has been some sort of reaction that has taken ages to manifest itself. Any ideas?
obfripper

posted on 25/12/19 at 12:21 AM Reply With Quote
It's moisture trapped between the primer/basecoat/lacquer causing microblistering, likely from paintwork carried out in damp/humid conditions, or from waterbased basecoat which has been incorrectly or insufficiently dried.

It's common on smart repairs, insurance quality repairs, and can take several years to become noticable.

Dave

perksy

posted on 25/12/19 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
As Dave says its probably had a smart repair

Not on the boot lid/around the rear number plate light by any chance ?

Mr Whippy

posted on 27/12/19 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
MX5's have so many rust issues anyway your doing well not to need welding by now if it hasn't already. Rear arch, sills and the whole underside are huge problem areas, you really need to keep on top of it or it will just dissolve away
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
myke pocock

posted on 27/12/19 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
No, its just in front of the filler cap and on the top deck that the brake light is attached to.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.