Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tin Top Warning Lights and ODB11 reader advice
Slater

posted on 30/6/20 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
Tin Top Warning Lights and ODB11 reader advice

Hello, last week during the mega hot weather my 2012 VW Passat suddenly gave my 5 warning lights on the dash.

Tire Pressure
ABS
Power Steering
ESC
Auto start stop

My thinking is one or more of the sensors got cooked in the heat. I did check the tyre pressures which were too high and let some air out then tried to reset it, but it now just says sensors are not available. I've tried disconnecting the battery, but same faults appear.

The plan is to check the fuses one by one, if all OK then buy a Foseal OBD11 code reader for 24 quid of Amazon.

Linker to ODB11 reader

Hopefully that will tell me which sensors are kaput, then I can replace them if required.

Any advice?
Is that Foseal ODB11 reader any good? I see Halfords sell a Foxwell model for 65 quid, and you can pay 300 for some.

How do the tyre pressure sensors work anyway?

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

gremlin1234

posted on 30/6/20 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slater
...How do the tyre pressure sensors work anyway?

there are two common ways
firstly, use the abs/speed sensors on each wheel, and if one is reading differently it can 'flag' it as a fault
the other is a sensor in each tyre, usually attached to the valve stem. and this occasionally transmits pressure via radio (433MHz)

both will require a little drive around after setting the pressure correctly to re-read.

edit to add
thinking about it, all the items listed are wheel speed related, so could simply be one abs sensor

[Edited on 30/6/20 by gremlin1234]

HowardB

posted on 30/6/20 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234
quote:
...How do the tyre pressure sensors work anyway?

there are two common ways
firstly, use the abs/speed sensors on each wheel, and if one is reading differently it can 'flag' it as a fault
the other is a sensor in each tyre, usually attached to the valve stem. and this occasionally transmits pressure via radio (433MHz)

both will require a little drive around after setting the pressure correctly to re-read.

edit to add
thinking about it, all the items listed are wheel speed related, so could simply be one abs sensor

[Edited on 30/6/20 by gremlin1234]

ABS sensor is my guess - my Merc did the same

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

Slimy38

posted on 30/6/20 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
I would also agree ABS sensor, unfortunately that adds a complication in that a lot of readers can't access ABS fault codes. So many times I hear of people saying that they have an ABS fault but no fault codes.

You'll probably need to pay a little extra for one that covers VAG and their ABS codes. This one says both (although I don't know how accurate the description is);

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ANCEL-Diagnostic-Volkswagen-Diagnosis-Throttle/dp/B07BS7PDC2

steve m

posted on 30/6/20 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
I had a very similar obd reader to the Foseal one, and to be honest its crap,
It also does NOT do ABS or Aibags, even though some of them say they do,

If it was my car, I would be inclined to take each wheel off, find the sensor wire, unplug it, and clean the contacts up
Modern sensors are pretty reliable

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

nick205

posted on 30/6/20 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
The ESC light came on on SWMBOs 2007 VW Touran. A bit of Googling suggested turning the steering wheel from full left to right locks with the ignition off. Once that was done I switched the ignition on and ESC light was off (as it should be). I tink it's linked to a sensor in the steering column and presumably the manual left/right lock to lock with ignition off overcomes the fault. Worth a try as it's free before you spend any money on kit or with a garage.
Mr Whippy

posted on 30/6/20 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
just your VW telling you it's about to become an...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 30/6/20 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
just your VW telling you it's about to become an...

As nearly all cars do IMHO, hence car manufacturers and dealers stay in business selling new ones.

I've watched a few of Scotty Kilmer's YouTube videos. Some are mildly amusing, but in general if you know much of anything about cars, tools, workshop practice etc it's a bit monotinous. He could also do to tidy up his garage as well. He must end up buying tools he's already got, but can't find.

Slater

posted on 30/6/20 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks chaps, I've tried nick205's suggestion but no dice, so ordered the 55 quid VW OBD11 reader and see how that goes, my wife has a VW polo so the reader will probs be handy for that car too. I'll report back once Amazon deliver the device and I've plugged it in.

Mr Whippy, I did watch some Scotty Kilmer just now, thanks...... he's like an old rocker smokin' some kind of weed!

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

britishtrident

posted on 30/6/20 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
I would think it really needs a scantool not a basic OBD II reader.

There are proper Youtube auto diagnostic ---- Scannerdanner, Pine Hollow, DiagnosticDan, DeadOnDiagnostics,

[Edited on 30/6/20 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 30/6/20 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
Definitely an abs sensor fault had one go on one of my customers car last week 13 plate Passat exactly as you said will need it read with a scan tool and some of the lights go out once you have changed the sensor but a couple don’t
nick205

posted on 1/7/20 at 07:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Thanks chaps, I've tried nick205's suggestion but no dice, so ordered the 55 quid VW OBD11 reader and see how that goes, my wife has a VW polo so the reader will probs be handy for that car too. I'll report back once Amazon deliver the device and I've plugged it in.

Mr Whippy, I did watch some Scotty Kilmer just now, thanks...... he's like an old rocker smokin' some kind of weed!

a pretty good analogy

James

posted on 3/7/20 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
Has anyone tried the Carly scanner?

https://www.mycarly.com/

It's advertised by Samcrac one of the US youtube channels I follow who refurbs, and occasionally even finishes, old cars.

He reckoned it was great but I looked it up before recommending it and not all the reviews were that great!

[Edited on 3/7/20 by James]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

hobbsy

posted on 3/7/20 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
I had almost the same fault on my Mk7 Golf recently - turned out to be a rear ABS sensor.

None of my cheap bluetooth fault code readers would list it.

I was getting the aircon re-gassed and they put a Snap-On reader on it and it found it.

Then I remember I've got a VCDS (aka VAGCOM) cable and I was also able to read it with that.

Speed/ABS sensors used to many different things - mine has the adaptive cruise and auto hold etc so was showing errors on that also.

Make sure you get a new sensor using the part number off the old one. I ordered one using the registration and it was incorrect (different sensor for cars with ACC).

roadrunner

posted on 3/7/20 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
I would also check your battery. You can start to get warning lights when the battery is on its way out.
hobbsy

posted on 3/7/20 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
I also suspected that and even when I saw the output of the Snap On I wasn't 100% sure but started spot on and I put it on a conditioner overnight, and it was still doing it.

The fact that all 4 or 5 errors pointed to a speed/abs sensor also made it more likely to be that and in the end ~£20 for a sensor was cheaper than >£120 for an AGM stop start spec battery...

Slater

posted on 7/7/20 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
Just to provide update:

The ANCEL VD500 OBD II Diagnostic Scanner arrived and showed Rear Right ABS sensor was faulty along with 5 other faults.

[img] Faulty ABS Sensor 7Jul20
Faulty ABS Sensor 7Jul20
[/img]

I removed sensor, cleaned plug and refitted, but had same fault showing

Ebay was quoting 11 quid for new sensor, but I didn't trust them, Europarts was 73. I then bought replacement from VW for 74.

Fitted it and all the warning lights went out within 20 secs.

Thanks to Slimy38 for his suggestion on the ODB scanner:

quote:

You'll probably need to pay a little extra for one that covers VAG and their ABS codes. This one says both (although I don't know how accurate the description is);

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ANCEL-Diagnostic-Volkswagen-Diagnosis-Throttle/dp/B07BS7PDC2

hobbsy

posted on 7/7/20 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
Yowch! £74

After two false starts on eBay (1 wrong part, 1 "we thought we had stock but don't" I used mister-auto.co.uk ~£13 posted. Local factors wanted £50, didn't even bother calling VW as they are an hours round trip from me and were always going to be >£50.

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 7/7/20 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
Wow got a febi one from my local motor factors about £25
hobbsy

posted on 7/7/20 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
The black one for non adaptive cruise cars was easy to find for cheap, about £15 onebah or £20 from motor factors. The grey one for ACC cars was coming out generally more expensive. So that might be the difference
perksy

posted on 7/7/20 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
The Ancel stuff is pretty good to be fair
I bought their battery tester awhile back and have been very impressed with it

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.