Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Jag xjr 4.0 supercharged, any actual experience here?
StrikerChris

posted on 7/7/20 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
Jag xjr 4.0 supercharged, any actual experience here?

Hi
Just wondering if anyone here has actually run one of the above for any length of time? I've obviously done the old Google search and haven't found any really issues that would put me off. I've read about the cylinder liners and timing tensioner issues, I think the car I'm looking at should be late enough to have missed them, but are there any simple tell tale signs to look for? Also any less than obvious places I should look for issues?
I quite fancy wafting around in a pokey £2k jag for 12months,with the cash I've not been able to spend in the pub these last few months....

Cheers
Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
steve m

posted on 7/7/20 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
I was looking for an Xk8 or Xkr last year, after the demise of my 7,
I believe any post 2000 engines don't have the liner problems

But the biggest turn off for me, even with about 12k to spend, was EVERY single car that I looked at or online
had a history of rust, and rust related problems

Now I do not know about the Xjr, but would imagine, they were made in the same place, with the same poor metal, so ….

Another point, was a Guy I worked with briefly last year, who only ran Jags, told me, if I bought one, every time I opened the door, throw another £50 in the glove box, as when the bills came in, they are incredibly expensive to repair, and the rust !!

Ive just looked on ebay, and two randam xjr from around 2000 (in your price bracket) mot historys are flawed with rust and corrosion

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

StrikerChris

posted on 7/7/20 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah, this one has no history of rust on mots, but has struggled emissions afew times.im more worried about having to throw afew hundred at cats than I am about welding to be honest but obviously I will be having a good look for awkward rust. Can't really justify stretching the budget to the alu bodied one, and suspect they just rot underneath too. The other car that came up on my search was a v12 500hp merc but they seem to rust where you can see it, which makes a fix far more expensive to me!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.