Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Parking issues, or anti social car/bike behaviour
David Jenkins

posted on 6/12/20 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
You should read what I posted!

I said that I do turn it off, when I remember - which is, in fact, most of the time.

SteveWalker

posted on 6/12/20 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
I assume that one of the later amendments has made these beepers legal on cars? As The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986: Section 99: States:

(3) No person shall sound, or cause or permit to be sounded, on a road any reversing alarm fitted to a vehicle—

(a) unless the vehicle is a goods vehicle which has a maximum gross weight not less than 2000 kg, a bus, engineering plant, or a works truck

coyoteboy

posted on 6/12/20 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah I was just thinking that, I thought they all had an override.

Oh I replied without seeing the second page. Or reading the first fully apparently. I'll go back to sleep.

[Edited on 6/12/20 by coyoteboy]

David Jenkins

posted on 6/12/20 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
There is a requirement for all electric cars to make some sounds when they are driving forwards at less than 20mph - basically, for the benefit of blind people, elderly, and so on. The tyre noise is enough over that speed. This requirement doesn't really address the problem of reversing out of parking spaces, where the noise can't be heard because it comes out of the front of the car, and electric cars are VERY quiet at low speeds. Because of this, some (not all) manufacturers have fitted reversing beepers for safety reasons - I think this is a very good idea. It's a substitute for the noise that normally comes out of an internal combustion car (ICE) exhaust.

Note that this beeper is fairly quiet - just loud enough for people to register that there's a car on the move. My original point is that it's a bit intrusive at 6am in a quiet village!

SteveWalker

posted on 6/12/20 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
It would make far more sense for electric cars to make conventional engine noises. a) they are not as intrusive as a beeper and b) we have all been brought up to recognise the sound of a motor vehicle and associate it with making sure we are in a safe position.

Beeps are plain irritating and prone to confusion about where they are coming from and what they are warning about.

J666AYP

posted on 7/12/20 at 12:28 AM Reply With Quote
A bloke down our little close has a garage full of harleys with drainpipe exhausts. He had no issues with shaking every window in the street at 6am every day when he left for work, then spending all evening pissing round with his mates tearing up and down the close. And coming home at 2/3am at the weekends.

Funny thing is when he went on holiday someone welded his garage door shut and put a can of explaining foam up the exhausts of the bikes left anchored on the drive... not heard a thing from him in nearly 6 months now.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.