Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rav4 or Sportage
swanny

posted on 24/10/22 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
Rav4 or Sportage

Hi there

just wondered if I could get an opinion on two on my new car choices.

I'm looking at Sportages and rav4s. Both second hand and with a budget of 12.5k

that money buys me typically a 2017 sportage or a 2013 rav4 (both with about 50k miles on)

I presume the difference in price is due to reliability long term ?

wife has a Kia Picanto and that has been faultless for five years (bought 2nd hand at 3 years old) so we are impressed by that, but should we still go for Toyota?

Do they still have the same great reputation foe reliability?

thanks

perksy

posted on 24/10/22 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
I know of 2 Sportages that have needed new gearboxes and one of them also needed some other work
Having said that, We had a rep come to work who swore by them and said he'd never have anything else and the one he was driving had over 120k on it

A mate had a RAV4 and it wouldn't break no matter what he did with it...

JC

posted on 25/10/22 at 06:06 AM Reply With Quote
We have a 2019 Sportage petrol, Reliable except for a couple of minor things - like both back door handles broke off! Drinks fuel like Oliver Reed on a bender though! It’s a white goods car - does it’s job but nothing interesting, except for the tech. The ‘crossing traffic’ detection and the blind spot detection are great, Adaptive cruise control and emergency brake function are at times downright dangerous. Ours is the GT line S BTW.

Friends have a slightly newer diesel and have had a few issues - can’t remember what though!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
roadrunner

posted on 25/10/22 at 06:10 AM Reply With Quote
We have a 1998 Rav 4 and it's the most reliable car I know of.
David Jenkins

posted on 25/10/22 at 07:04 AM Reply With Quote
I've had a few Toyota cars (not Rav4) and service history is important - they'll go on forever if properly maintained.

I wouldn't go for the Rav4 auto though - I drove one in Australia and its CVT gearbox drove me nuts! Always sounded as though it was in the wrong gear.

swanny

posted on 25/10/22 at 07:28 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks all. thats helped.

David, I did look for autos but the fuel economy/tax was awful compared to manual

Sanzomat

posted on 25/10/22 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
Not RAV 4 but my only Toyota experience. I had a Prius+ (seven seater version) new as a company car from 2013 to 2017. Put about 86k miles on it. I'm pretty sure its the only car I've ever had that didn't have a single thing go wrong with it in the whole time I had it. Not even a bulb or even brake pads. The service just before it went back said the original pads still had 70% of the original material remaining!
ReMan

posted on 25/10/22 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
We've got 2 Rav 4's
A 2006 manual and a 2014 Auto, both diesels
2006 ive put 100k on it with oil and filters, brakes and tyres a battery and a set of glow plugs

We bought the 2014 on the strength of this and love too. Bigger car but is good but obviously a bit thirstier 33mpg mixed

Would recommend them to anyone

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

swanny

posted on 9/11/22 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
we got a Rav4 Invincible. Its good, but has some awful aftermarket Erisin stereo in it (reviews for most of their products on amazon are worth a read!)
But apart from that all good, and they gave us a the same trade value as We buy any cars 'improved' online price.

coyoteboy

posted on 15/11/22 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins Always sounded as though it was in the wrong gear.

Ironically it's always in the right gear

David Jenkins

posted on 15/11/22 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy

Ironically it's always in the right gear

Trouble is, it liked to keep the engine revs higher than I would choose for a given speed!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.