Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fuel prices
myke pocock

posted on 25/10/22 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
Fuel prices

In Carlisle petrol at £1:63.9 and diesel at £1:94.9. WHAT! 31p difference. What is going on? What prices are there in other parts of the country.
Sanzomat

posted on 25/10/22 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
That is a big difference. Filled up my diesel Focus today at my local Morrisons (Yate, near Bristol) at £1.83.9/l petrol was £160.9. That works out as about 15% more for diesel. Our two daily's - Petrol Qashqai and Diesel Focus are arguably similar size cars and driven similarly. The QQ does 42mpg, the Focus 52mpg. Diesel therefore 23% better mpg so still slightly cheaper to burn diesel.
HowardB

posted on 25/10/22 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
Round the corner from my house petrol is 149 and diesel is 167,... it is a COSTCO, the Asda is another 10p per on each.

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

coyoteboy

posted on 26/10/22 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
I use the Fuelio app to check all the locations nearby, and it looks like Diesel and 98+ are all the same price here in Edinburgh. In Holland usually D is about the same as 98, which is about 2.11e (gbp 1.83/litre)

[Edited on 26/10/22 by coyoteboy]

nick205

posted on 26/10/22 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
Hampshire (down south)

Not driving myself (epilepsy)

Family and friends are seeing petrol at £1.66-9 to £1.72-9 a litre at the moment (Basingstoke and Winchester)

Bus and train fares (I'm on those) have both risen - e.g. local bus fare return into town rose from £4.20 to £4.80

Benzine

posted on 26/10/22 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
1.85 for diesel around here.

Is it due to extra demand for generators what with everything going on in Ukraine? Something I'd read but no idea if there's anything to it. Also the weak pound isn't helping

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 26/10/22 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
Two causes: first, diesel costs more to make than petrol - you get less in a given volume of crude oil. Second, everyone pays for oil in US Dollars, and the Pound is very weak at the moment - in fact, any commodity with a USD base price (e.g. gold) is getting more expensive very rapidly.

sdh2903

posted on 26/10/22 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Two causes: first, diesel costs more to make than petrol - you get less in a given volume of crude oil. Second, everyone pays for oil in US Dollars, and the Pound is very weak at the moment - in fact, any commodity with a USD base price (e.g. gold) is getting more expensive very rapidly.

Diesel is cheaper to produce as it's less refined. The extra 'clean' additives increase the price but it's still not far off the cost of wholesale petrol. Biggest kicker at present is though we import more diesel as we don't produce enough domestically and as with everything at present, importing anything is a) a ballache and b) more expensive.

Just returned from holiday and petrol/diesel prices were within a few cents of each other.

Tazzzzman1

posted on 28/10/22 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
What Gets my blood boiling is that the big supermarkets are really taking the Mick...they have nearly always been significantly cheaper than most independents and definitely cheaper than most BP/ Shell. However since the crisis often finding that local independents are cheaper... Is this just the greedy Supermarkets milking the system? and noticing local Tesco and Morrisons increasing pump prices 2- 3 times in a day

rant over

[Edited on 28/10/22 by Tazzzzman1]

Mr Whippy

posted on 28/10/22 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
Personally I can't wait for the diesels to be priced out of existence. Totally fed up with the sickening black smoke they stink out for everyone else behind them to breath in. Like someone with toxic flatulence.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 28/10/22 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Personally I can't wait for the diesels to be priced out of existence. Totally fed up with the sickening black smoke they stink out for everyone else behind them to breath in. Like someone with toxic flatulence.

Agreed! Since I started driving electric cars I've become more aware of the stink left behind diesel cars - like this morning, when an Audi barely 2 years old ahead of me accelerated up a slip road and left a trail of dirty smoke behind it. Or when I'm walking past queueing traffic and choke from the fumes.

I know that saying this will antagonise people, but I'm unrepentant...

SteveWalker

posted on 28/10/22 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
I can't say it's ever been a problem for me. At one time I was suffering from both asthma and sarcoidosis, but had no problem walking around Manchester city centre and standing at a junction with idling petrol and diesel cars queuing. However, the moment a bus or truck was in that queue, I was struggling to breath. The big, slow revving diesels were and still are (not all) horrendous.
craig1410

posted on 1/11/22 at 12:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tazzzzman1
What Gets my blood boiling is that the big supermarkets are really taking the Mick...they have nearly always been significantly cheaper than most independents and definitely cheaper than most BP/ Shell. However since the crisis often finding that local independents are cheaper... Is this just the greedy Supermarkets milking the system? and noticing local Tesco and Morrisons increasing pump prices 2- 3 times in a day

rant over

[Edited on 28/10/22 by Tazzzzman1]

I think the reason the smaller independents are more agile in terms of pricing is because they don't buy or agree to buy fuel so far in advance as the large supermarkets. In normal times with relatively stable wholesale prices, the buying power of the supermarkets allows them to sell fuel more cheaply. They can also subsidise the fuel cost due to the fact it brings people into their stores to buy goods.

However, when prices are volatile, it can mean that the supermarkets have signed deals at high prices and then they have to sell at those prices (+ mark up) for longer than the independents. I'm not saying that the supermarkets are victims in this, but I do believe this pricing "inertia" effect is a factor.

sdh2903

posted on 1/11/22 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
Pricing inertia works both ways though. And as we've seen it increases prices overnight yet takes weeks to return back when prices lower.

The supermarkets are effectively price fixing. 2 of the cheapest stations near me recently have been a BP at the airport (normally 5 to 10p dearer than supermarkets) and a shell garage (again usually 5 or 6p more than supermarkets). When am out in the westy in some remote places the indy stations are again cheaper still.

Considering inflation is causing all sorts of problems for the government, and fuel prices are one of the big drivers, am surprised that there's not been some sort of regulation proposed or introduced. But then again it's lining HMRC pockets with the extra vat they are obtaining.

[Edited on 1/11/22 by sdh2903]

craig1410

posted on 1/11/22 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
From what I've seen there is inertia in both directions if you compare the changes in Brent Crude prices for example, compared to supermarket petrol/diesel prices. The thing is that the mainstream media will tend to report on the pump prices going up more readily than the price of crude oil and so people get a distorted view. In fact this is pretty typical of the mainstream media as a whole - report the doom & gloom immediately but hold back on the good news stories for as long as possible...

As for regulation - I'm definitely not a fan of that, especially when there are alternatives such as going to smaller independent garages and rewarding those who are more agile on pricing. Just install a fuel prices app on your phone and use it as I do to decide who to award your business to. Let the market decide basically - much better than government regulation IMO.

Yes inflation is causing the government a problem but it's further up the supply chain of fuel prices than pump prices that they are focused on. It's wholesale supply and storage where I'd far prefer the government spend their time because that will (eventually) filter through to the petrol, diesel and heating oil prices.

Oh, and if we're going to talk about potential windfall taxes on fuel suppliers, I hope the government also extends windfall taxes to the pharmaceutical companies such as Pfizer who are also raking in obscene profits off the back of the global challenges we are facing. According to Reuters Pfizer are raising the price PER DOSE of the "vaccine" from $30 to $130. Crazy!

[Edited on 1/11/2022 by craig1410]

sdh2903

posted on 1/11/22 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
I disagree.

Wholesale fuel prices/oil increase and the price at the pump goes up that night. If they decrease they take a week to come down. Nothing to do with blaming the media as beyond fuel prices peaking at 2 quid a litre when is the price at the pumps reported? It's only really the motoring associations that are shouting about it.

I do agree on supporting the independents though. However sadly they are few and far between until you get out into the sticks as the supermarkets have taken over. Ironically because they used to be undercut by the supermarkets.

craig1410

posted on 1/11/22 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
I agree that the price go up "that night" when it's a fuel duty change but as someone who uses kerosene to heat their home, I track the price of Brent crude carefully as it has a fairly quick effect on kerosene prices and I can use that to help me buy oil at the best time. Diesel is a very slightly heavier oil than kerosene and has additives and additional processing so there is a bit more lag between Brent price changes and wholesale diesel prices but the link is still there.

What I see locally is that independent garages tend to raise AND lower prices more quickly than supermarkets so I tend to shop at the independents when prices are falling and at the supermarkets when they are rising. That's just my experience based on using the PetrolPrices app but maybe you have a different experience in your area. I'm in the Dalry area in North Ayrshire and we have a number of supermarkets around here plus a range of smaller suppliers.

As a snapshot, right now the cheapest diesel within 5 miles is "Unbranded Kilbirnie Filling Station" at £1.869 then a Gulf, an Esso, two BPs and then finally Morrisons at Stevenson at £1.939. If I extend that to 10 miles then it changes to Asda first at £1.827 then Tesco, Salisbury's both at £1.839 and then a "Jet" at £1.849. So it really does vary depending on how far you're willing to travel.

The thing I think we CAN agree on is for people to be aware of the significant differences and shop around using some sort of app.

David Jenkins

posted on 1/11/22 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
At least we can be thankful that we don't buy our fuel where my daughter lives, Sydney NSW. Up until a few years ago, petrol stations could vary their prices hourly to match demand. In the end, local regulation limited the retailers to one change in price per day. It was never a big variation, maybe a cent or two up or down, but it was annoying.

My wife's cousin told us that there was such a thing as "tight-arse Tuesday" when prices were usually at their lowest!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.