Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ford 2.5 V6
scotty g

posted on 16/5/05 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
Ford 2.5 V6

Hi all, has any one heard of the 2.5 V6 being used in a rear wheel drive application. Its much more compact than the old Essex and Cologne V6's and would be a lovely motor with tons of torque. Any thoughts?? Scotty G.
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 16/5/05 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
yes our master chrisW i think is building a viento with 2.9 cologne.

I have a granada which has this engine do you wanna buy it?

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

James

posted on 16/5/05 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
Scotty,

You mean the newer Zetec based (?) one don't you?

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

ned

posted on 16/5/05 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
liam, think he means the duratec 2.5 v6, not the cologne..

Ned.

doh beat me to it james!

[Edited on 16/5/05 by ned]

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 16/5/05 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
i have just re read the post, what a tit am, that'll be the hangover

guess you don't want to buy my granada

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

turbolag

posted on 16/5/05 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
In standard form it's 164 brake, which is slighly less than the much lighter top flight 4 pot Duratecs. Go for the 200/220 versions from the STs or else try the lighter and more plentiful Poxhall V6. A 3.2 V6 from an old Omega would be quite pleasing in a kit.

If it ain't broke, you ain't fiddlin' hard enough!

scotty g

posted on 16/5/05 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
Yes i was talking about the duratec version. I can't recall this engine being used in a rear wheel drive car, do you think it would mate with either the type 9 or MT75 boxes? It might not be as pokey as a top flight four pot but it'll sound great and as said, will have tons of torque. Would love to put it in a Viento chassis and design my own body, sort of a cross between a Stylus and a TVR might be good.
Mr G

posted on 16/5/05 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
See this thread HERE

Might of been powertorque.co.uk

See pistonheads HERE

i'm still looking for the mag - the boys over at the interford forums wil probably have a better memory than me

Cheers

G

[Edited on 16/5/05 by Mr G]

Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a
car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes
and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.

marksimon

posted on 16/5/05 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
G, Scotty,

I've just taken a look at the link to pistonheads and their link to power torque engineering. The engine shown in the photo captioned "Want to use a Duratec V6 inline? Power Torque can help" looks like a Jaguar X-Type V6 mated to the Getrag 221 gearbox as used in the Jaguar S-Type.

The Getrag 221 is quite a light 'box; weighs approx. 33kg. I myself wish to know if there are any other gearboxes (specifically type 9 or MT75) that mate to the Jag engine as the ratios of he 221 are not suited to a sports car in my opinion and the Getrag 221 box is expensive new and uncommon secondand. A plus point is that it is rated to 221 lb ft of torque in a car such as the Jag S-Type.

I'll keep asking around for advice. If I get an opportunity over the next few days I will speak to Power Torque and ask their judgement about gearboxes fo the Jag V6 / Duratec V6.

Take care.

Mark

scotty g

posted on 16/5/05 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Mark, i looked at the site as well, i have e-mailed them to find out if the MT75 or type9 boxes can be used, when i hear from them i will let you know.
locost_bryan

posted on 17/5/05 at 03:48 AM Reply With Quote
Is the Duratec V6 related to the Mazda KL V6 (Ford Probe, Mazda MX6, MX3)?

Or was this a "real" ford Duratec, rather than a Ford-badged Mazda (like the Duratec 4)?

If it is the Mazda V6 in disguise, then it has been used in the Fraser Clubman with a Ford/Quaife gearbox.

Bryan Miller
Auckland NZ

Bruce McLaren - "Where's my F1 car?"
John Cooper - "In that rack of tubes, son"

tractorboy

posted on 23/5/05 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
ive got a 2.5 v6 duratec in my ford cougar . it goes like hot snot and sounds good too. just can't persuade the misses too let me have it for the avon!
scott

Rob Allison

posted on 5/6/05 at 02:44 AM Reply With Quote
Duratec in an XR4i

Adapter plate From T5 tranny

jollygreengiant

posted on 5/6/05 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by locost_bryan
Is the Duratec V6 related to the Mazda KL V6 (Ford Probe, Mazda MX6, MX3)?

Or was this a "real" ford Duratec, rather than a Ford-badged Mazda (like the Duratec 4)?

If it is the Mazda V6 in disguise, then it has been used in the Fraser Clubman with a Ford/Quaife gearbox.

I believe the answer to this is yes there is a family connection to the mazda lump.

Enjoy

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.