Board logo

MX5 1.8 engine and performnce bits needed
dbaz293672 - 4/7/18 at 06:30 PM

Hi

I have my locost chassis that I am looking at putting a MX-5 1.8 non vvt engine in, my plans are eventually to race in the 750mc kit car class so I can't turbo or supercharge, so''''

I am looking for advice on the best options to get to around the 150/160bhp mark

so standard mk2 1.8 engine
twin webber 40's or ITB's
Stand alone ECU
dans ST inlet manifold

Fast road cams

please I am happy for any advice in order to help me get this buil on the way and I am looking for ALL the parts above.

Many Thanks

Dave

Charlie C - 4/7/18 at 07:37 PM

Hi

For a 1.8 the best combination is a mk2 head arguably the best flowing from standard on a mk2.5 short block as it has the highest standard compression.

A set of jenvey itb's and piper cams with a good exhuast and megasquirt ecu should give about realistic 165bhp.

Personally i would call Dale at bailey performance in Broseley near Telford. He will give you honest advice.

dbaz293672 - 4/7/18 at 09:01 PM

thanks for the reply I will give them a call

luke2152 - 4/7/18 at 09:10 PM

I looked into options a bit prior to going down the turbo route (which you can't go down). The great thing about mx5 engines is they are designed from the factory to be turbo'd (the engine was first used turbo'd in the gtx rally car and the reason mx5's aren't turbo'd from factory is due to the accountants putting the brakes on not the engineers). The other great thing about them is that they are cheap!

With their low compression and pretty old head design not to mention the cast iron block they are not such a great engine N/A. You can get power out of anything if you throw lots of money at it but I would start with a great N/A engine not a mediocre one. Just my opinion of course and the fully built N/A race engined mx5's do sound great at 9000rpm.

Also I have a megasquirt 2 standalone up for grabs. Doesn't include wiring harness.

JSArmstrong - 6/7/18 at 08:14 AM

I am also building a naturally aspirated 1.8. Mine was from a 1996 so have purchased some pistons for the mark 2.5 along with getting the block Dero decked and the bp4w head skimmed to bring the compression ratio up to 10:1. I shall also be getting the valves unshrouded / deshrouded to help with airflow. I have been following a build on locost usa by the name of wheezer (John's sv clone) and he has managed to get 138bhp at the wheels on standard ecu doing alot of the things mentioned above. Take a look, the entire build is very inspiring

Charlie C - 6/7/18 at 08:24 AM

Hi again

If your looking for an engine builder I can highly recomend Basset Down balancing.

I had an 1.6mk1 engine from these chaps which i got 145bhp from, they have now rebuilt it for turbo use. Both times I've used them i have been really happy with their work and never felt ripped off.

[Edited on 6/7/18 by Charlie C]

dbaz293672 - 6/7/18 at 10:18 AM

That's great thanks, I will also have a look for that thread that has been mentioned